Loved cutting it...got a bad review though

heppnerguy

14 hours ago, Charlie E said:

Looks great to me! My wife and I have a good relationship, 40 years, but if I want to feel good about something I’ve cut I don’t ask her what she thinks about it. 😉 Brutally honest, and if she attempts a fake approval, after 40 years it’s easy to spot. Obviously, I know she won’t be reading this. 😆

As you know, Sharon and I have been married 61 years and she is a very supportive and loving wife. For some  reason when I cut this particular pattern and cut out part of it , she had not noticed a lessor pattern was being cut until I showed her the finished project. She just did not like it without the entire body of the moose and the lake shore in the background. Was not a real problem for me, it is just the silly way i am.

Dick

heppnerguy

14 hours ago, barb.j.enders said:

I agree with Marge on the drips from the mouth.  I also agree with Frank regarding the frame.  I think you did a great job in cutting it.  Hang it proudly.  Gift it proudly.

Oh, thanks. The drips were part of the original pattern and it really is how Moose are, as they eat a lot of their meals on the plants in the lakes. So water dripping is how it is for them. The framing technique that match the subject matter of the framed piece never even occurred to me before. I is a good education for me and I will be trying to pick the frame from the subject being framed instead to the size matching as I always have done in the past. Thanks for the  nice comment though

Dick

heppnerguy

14 hours ago, jerry walters said:

My son is a wildlife photographer. He has taken several pictures of moose and if I remember correctly some of these pictures have water dripping from their mouth. Must be just sloppy drinkers. My son, and me too, would be proud to hang this on his wall. What did your wife think was missing from the picture? I like it.  I wish my wife were still here so I could share my work with her, she loved when I would show it to her. Now I just bug my neighbors. As you can tell I like it.

Jerry

Jerry, I am really sorry that you no longer have your wife with you.  I can not even fathom how lost and lonely I would be if my wife of 61  years was to no longer be with me.

thank for the story of your about you son. It is part of how moose live and eat and drink. If one has never seen that in person, they probably have no idea

Dick

heppnerguy

You did a great job cutting this but personally I really do not care for the subject.  I do not know if it is the eye or drips but.....

Typically, people on the forum do not post anything negative but this topic shows an array of opinions.  I would not say anything negative to a newbie but you are not one.  As they say....Beauty is in the eye of the Beholder

3 hours ago, Sycamore67 said:

You did a great job cutting this but personally I really do not care for the subject.  I do not know if it is the eye or drips but.....

Typically, people on the forum do not post anything negative but this topic shows an array of opinions.  I would not say anything negative to a newbie but you are not one.  As they say....Beauty is in the eye of the Beholder

I did not make the pattern and I too thought the eye was not exactly what I was hoping for, but not being much of a pattern maker myself, I am always happy that others are so willing to share these with us. I happen to like wild animals of almost all kinds and this was a pattern I mainly am cutting to my grand daughter and her husband as they live where there are a lot of animals and moose are one breed that is there. My granddaughter has an entire wall dedicated to my animal work, some intarsia and some are scrolling. When I use someone else's patterns, I try to do them as close to the way they make them as possible. I did consider not making the water drops but knowing the character of this animal, I found it really was a good representation of them. I do appreciate  your opinion on my work, as I do consider myself a mediocre scroller and I still strive to challenge myself and I try to listen to want others say so that I can continue to learn from others. I am like you and see things that some people cut and enjoy that really do not interest me in the least but I always try to encourage them. An example of one item I personally am not interested in is animal puzzles and simple wood toys. Once in awhile I see some of each in each of these categories that I have to admire as the work is so well done. I remember a  couple of times when I ventured out  and cut an item I really didn't care much about, just to have something a little different on my page where I was selling things and almost immediately received some orders for them. So, like you said, Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Thanks for you honesty and taking the time to share it with me. I respect that you are willing to share that with me. No defense was taken by me, at all.

Dick

heppnerguy 

23 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

I think it looks great as it is frame and all.. It's funny how people have so many various opinions on our craft projects. I have made some things that I didn't care for and my wife would be like " you're going to try to sell that!?? " LOL apparently she didn't like it either.. Funny thing is I have a handful of items that neither of us really liked and they are some of my best sellers, LOL.. 

On the flip side, I have showed patterns to her that I was thinking about cutting to get her opinion.. and many of these we didn't really like the pattern but the finished piece was wonderful. Just the opposite sometimes happens where we love the pattern but the cutting is less desirable. 

As for showing work in progress.. I have sold way more pieces showing photos and short video clips of works in progress and sometimes I sell the piece before it's even finished.. and I've gotten many custom orders from showing works in progress.. so for me.. showing my progress has been beneficial.. 

I have had the same things happen to me as you just described to me. No two people are the same or have all the same likes or dislikes. I too have cut things once in awhile that I would normally not cut, just because they are so liked be so many other people. Often they too are the  ones that sell the quickest. I no longer push sales as I used to do but still have several people that will purchase something from me on a regular basis. Your note to me, sounds like I had written it myself as we both see eye to eye on this subject. Thanks for taking the time to share your comments with me. I enjoyed reading them a lot

Dick

heppnerguy

On 3/20/2023 at 10:09 AM, Eplfan2011 said:

I'm in agreement with Kevin, I'd certainly have no problem finding a spot for it ! 🤣🤣

I just enjoy wild animals of almost any kind. I especially like the big cats and the deer, elk and moose breeds. I will eventually cut the full pattern and I am considering maybe leaving out the dripping water, although  I  understand the common part of it to the elk nature of eating while in the water.

Dick

heppnerguy

On 3/20/2023 at 11:05 AM, Dak0ta52 said:

I have to pretty much agree with the consensus. You did an outstanding job on the cutting. I was going to comment on the beauty of the frame and agree that it should be attached to a more delicate piece (gentler or prettier). I think it would be wrong to stow it away never to be seen again. My opinion is your lady doesn't much care for a moose theme project. I seen a picture that "spoke to me" and knew I had to get a pattern done and cut. I have done so and every time my wife sees it, she has a negative comment of some sort to say about the piece. I may never sell it, and it may never be displayed in our house, but I like it and enjoyed cutting it. For that matter it was well worth the wood, time and effort I put into the piece. I've never posted a picture of it at the Village. For some reason I've wanted to keep it personal. It is not risque or "adult" in any form, but the impact it had on me when I first seen the picture was strong. Apparently this piece had some type of impact on your or you wouldn't have attempted to cut it. If you like it, smile at your lady and say, "Thank you," and gift it to your friend or hang it in your shop. Nuf said! 😜

My wife's main reason for being negative on it was because I choose to  only cut a part of the elk's body as I did not want to waste the wood. She said she did not like it because she was expecting to see the entire pattern cut. I thank you for you comment and encouragement and found it very  interesting and thoughtful. I  guess we all have our moments.

Dick

heppnerguy

On 3/20/2023 at 11:07 AM, rdatelle said:

I don't know about the drips but I think it looks great.  Your beating yourself up over minor things that I can't see. 

The main thing is, that I still like the cutting but I don't thing others do not have enough knowledge to understand that it is realist way to see a moose should one happen to see one in it's natural habitat. I didn't care a lot for the water drips myself except that is part of how nature works with it's wild species sometimes.

Dick

heppnerguy