Another Dust Collection question - sorry

I recently purchased the King Excelsior 21 saw.  Taking a long time to retrain the muscles for tensioning after 10 years with a DeWalt.  I am not liking the plastic piece under the table which connects to the dust port.  The Seyco dust collection hose is too small for the port.  Has anyone just removed the plastic piece?  If so, how much dust then falls through the other holes in the table?  I will get around to looking at hooking up the other tubes for the Seyco system, just haven't had time yet.

20230406_151447.jpg

If you get the seyco system hooked up then that should catch all the dust falling through those holes I would think. I'm probably the odd one here but when I had my shop vac hooked up to that port I loved it.. and the collection was the best I have used on it by far. However I have a big shop vac and the noise was just too much for me. The vacuum holds the wood down to the table was another thing that actually after using it for a few weeks I grew used to and liked.. if I could have got past that loud shop vac I'd have never bought the seyco system. What I really want to do is just build a manifold PVC pipe system to each saw like many have shown on here a be able to just swap the vac over to whatever machine I'm using. The seyco system doesn't work great in my opinion and I have it attached to the Excalibur, as it even a worst system on the Hawks. LOL

I have an Excalibur and never liked the plastic membrane/dust collection system.  I removed the connection port as well as the membrane years ago.  The only other thing I need to do to rid myself of the last remnant of the factory DC is to fill in the holes in the table.

A fair amount of dust will fall through those holes (into my lap and onto the floor).  Far more than what remains on the table top, IMHO.  

Are you talking about the clear plastic piece?  On my Seyco and Excalibur I remove that and pointed a piece of PVC pipe on my dust collection to the opening.  very little dust got past it.

I also since I have left over cigar boxes from my cigar box guitar days, affix a cigar box under the table to collect any dust that gets by the DC.  It also collect broken/warn out blades small scraps I toss in there as I scroll.

Edited by Scrappile

I just tie wrapped my vacuum nozzle to the lower arm guard under my DeWalt 788. Sawdust falling from the blade makes a hard turn and disappears into the vacuum nozzle if the vacuum (a repurposed whole house central unit with Dust Deputy separator ahead of it) is running. Since the vacuum unit is upstairs in my shop it makes so little noise down in the shop that I left it on several times. I've now mounted an orange colored light on the shop ceiling connected to the vacuum to remind me that it's running. My hearing isn't all that good, so others probably don't need the light. I do.

Charley 

Edited by CharleyL

Earlier this year I purchased the Scrollnado dust collection system as demonstrated by Steve Good.  I think it was around $60.00. Two things you will need is a small shop vacuum which I got at WalMart for $30.00 and some ear silencing head set which I got from amazon. I didn't get the kind that plays music, just deadens the vacuum. I read with interest earlier posting on dust collection and this was the best solution for me. Don't have the smarts to build my own like many have, or the bucks to install a dust collection system. All I have is my scroll saw. Oh, forgot to say so far I am happy with the scrollnado. Got that from amazon. I know some people did not like the scrollnado, but I do like mine. Collects at least 90% of the dust. Hope this helps you Barb. One more thing I usually don't scroll more than 3 or 4 hours a day.

Here is the silencing head set https://www.amazon.com/Professional-Safety-Muffs-Decibel-Defense/dp/B073DMTGC1/

scrollnado New Universal Scrollnado with Mininado dust separator - - Amazon.com

I spent a bit of time yesterday and got the Seyco/Scrollnado system hooked up.  I did leave the plastic backer in place.  The lower hose is just friction fit on the lower blade guard.  Works surprisingly well.  @jerry waltersI have noise cancelling headphones that i use as well.  Thanks to everyone for your replies.

Would it be possible for those with Scrollnados (especially on DW788s) to post pictures of their setups? Particularly the hose above the table. Do you bring the top hose in from above? From the side? How you keep it far enough away that it doesn't suck up (and get blocked by) tiny bits while still being close enough to get the dust?

9 hours ago, Matthew Simmons said:

Would it be possible for those with Scrollnados (especially on DW788s) to post pictures of their setups? Particularly the hose above the table. Do you bring the top hose in from above? From the side? How you keep it far enough away that it doesn't suck up (and get blocked by) tiny bits while still being close enough to get the dust?

Matthew, here you go. Will attach some pictures of my set up which is attached to a Pegas scroll saw. I have had no issues of tiny bits, they just get sucked up and into the recipticle. I hope the pictures make sense. I would expect this fit also on the Dewalt since this is a very popular saw, but don't my word for it. If I can be of further assistance please let me know. 992 & 993 are above and below the saw table. 995 shows saw and how the scrollnado is hooked up along with the small shop vac. 996 is the recipticle the dust goes in. 997 & 998 are side views and you can see both the top and bottom hoses. The table has to be removed to place the bottom hose. This doesn't need to be adjusted. The top hose can be moved around to accomodate differecnt sizes of wood. Hope this helps.  PS, included with are fittings which stick to the side of the saw, but the fittings don't stick well enough, that is why the tie down straps.

Jerry

DSCN0992-2023-04-13326.JPG

DSCN0995-2023-04-13329.JPG

DSCN0993-2023-04-13327.JPG

DSCN0996-2023-04-13330.JPG

DSCN0997-2023-04-13331.JPG

DSCN0998-2023-04-13332.JPG

This isn't a great picture of the scrollnado on my dewalt.  I have circled the top hose.  I just used the holder that it came with. The lower hose was attached as mentioned above.   Underneath is the Seyco "Metro" vac.  I have the older style scrollnado.  I did lose a couple of small pieces so learned to turn the vacuum off when cutting very tiny pieces.  None of the small pieces blocked the hose.

20211227_083749.jpg

22 hours ago, Scrappile said:

Shouldn't your small pieces be in that jar the is in your system?  I have a 5gal bucket under my dust deputy and have been able to find treasured little pieces in it, if it isn't a piece I can easily re-cut.

Yes they would be and yes I have searched for them.  I find it easier to just turn the vacuum off for the short time instead of the hassle of undoing the strapping for the jar & dealing with the sawdust.

On 4/13/2023 at 10:30 PM, jerry walters said:

Matthew, I thought the numbers would show, but they don't, so pretty much top to bottom. Sorry

Jerry

Thanks those are really helpful. It looks like you're supporting the bendy straw (for lack of a better name) externally rather than putting a wire inside it like the instructions suggest? In my case I'm discovering that small bits get caught in one of two places -- either they stop when they hit the wire (or just beyond) or they pile up at the junction where the two small hoses merge into the larger 1" (?) hose. The supplied foam insert creates a cozy fit in the 1" hose, but does so by compressing the smaller hoses, creating an obstruction. I think what I need to do next is a) figure out how to support the bendy straw externally, like you've done and b) replace the foam insert with something that doesn't crush the small hoses. Then it'll be the same diameter all the way through. Making the custom plug for (b) sounds like the perfect job for a 3d printer but for once I'm going to resist the urge to pick up a whole new hobby just to solve a small problem with an existing hobby.

Matthew, I did put a copper wire inside that memory tube (I think that is what they called it). Can't remember the copper wire size. The cable ties are there only because the holder for the tube doesn't stick to the upper arm. I thought of getting some magnets to glue on the support. But for now, the cable ties work OK.

Jerry

• 1 month later...

I didn't take a picture of it, but I have a king industrial 16" that I designed and 3d printed a better option that bolts to the existing holes. I'm assuming that it would work on excaliburs and other similar saws. When I get home maybe I can remember to snap a picture of it. I thought about adding it to my etsy shop so folks could order it, I'd list it at a price to just cover my plastic and shipping costs if I did. 

5 hours ago, James E. Welch said:

I didn't take a picture of it, but I have a king industrial 16" that I designed and 3d printed a better option that bolts to the existing holes. I'm assuming that it would work on excaliburs and other similar saws. When I get home maybe I can remember to snap a picture of it. I thought about adding it to my etsy shop so folks could order it, I'd list it at a price to just cover my plastic and shipping costs if I did. 

I look forward to seeing just what you came up with. I have no 3-D printer or required skills to operate one so if might be interested in buying one from you. I do have dust control on both of my Ex saws but I'm always looking to improve them.

23 hours ago, James E. Welch said:

I would be interested as well!

Here's my set up. I use the valve on the bottom to restrict the airflow because when your board doesn't have many holes in it has a tendency to suck to the table making it difficult to move the board. The valve allows for regulating this. The top is a loc-line fitting. It has come to my attention since I mentioned this 3d printed fitting initially that some or maybe even all excalibur saws don't have the 4 bolts like my king industrial saw does, so I'm not sure if it would help anyone that doesn't have a king industrial saw. 

Resized_20230619_110834.jpg

Resized_20230619_110843 (002).jpg

Resized_20230619_110828.jpg