3d printed dust collection solution

1 hour ago, TAIrving said:

@James E. Welch Following with interest.  I will wait for the reviews but likely will order one of these.  

2 questions:

1.  Will it fit a Pegas 21" 

2. Will it affect the ability to tilt the table top?  What is the max tilt with this installed?

1. - I have not tried it on a Pegas 21" specifically but it's my understanding that the hole pattern is the same. If it doesn't fit I would accept a return and refund you minus shipping costs though. 

2. - The table doesn't tilt on these saws but instead the head tilts. But to answer your question it does affect the tilt to that side about the same as the stock one that came on mine did, which I think is around 30 degrees max maybe, but it's 4 phillips head screws to remove it. When I designed it, I had thought to modify it to not affect the tilt but in doing so it would end up sticking out from under the table and not be so tucked underneath. For me 95% of my cuts are straight cuts (not tilted) so it made more sense to have it tucked underneath more and just remove it if needed (like the stock one that came on mine). I hope this makes sense.

Maybe I could make a revision 2 version at some point that allows the tilt all the way but sticks out from under the table more so folks could have that option to choose from though. That's not a bad idea. 

I'm also looking into a way to make one work for the older excaliburs without holes and the dewalt saws for future iterations.

I'm not doing this full time or anything and I'm not looking to get rich from it. I just designed something that worked well for me and thought I'd offer it to others. I already have a 3d printing store on Etsy (mostly ran by my daughter who lives with me along with my grandson as a way for her to be home with him) so I thought why not throw it on the store and see if anyone wants one.

Edited by James E. Welch
Grammar and Spelling

3 hours ago, James E. Welch said:

This could work. I had also thought about maybe embedding magnets into the print, but I haven't checked if the tables are iron or aluminum yet to know if a magnet would stick. 

EX21 and Pegas have steel tables. You would need strong magnets. I recently tried holding my vacuum hose on the bottom of the table with a hard drive magnet that will hold up an 18lb dumbbell, and that didn't work.

An open-ended vacuum hose clamped under the table works well. However, it is very tricky to keep it in place. I have been playing with this because I recently bought a Dustopper, and when I hooked it up to my Pegas scroll saw it wadded up the bucket.

Preliminary tests on a version that uses magnets. I taped off my top vacuum so it wouldn't interfere with the results. I wanted to see how well it worked with just the bottom vacuum. Also many of the saws that could potentially use this magnet version (don't have 4 screw holes like the newer Excalibur, excelsior,pegas and king) don't have all the holes drilled around the blade either so I also taped them off. 

The results were pretty good. The attachment moves around a little with the magnets only so you'd have to secure your hose as not to have it pulling down on it. But once the vac comes on the vacuum holds it in place very well. 

I need a guinea pig with an old style Excalibur to send one too. Any volunteers? I'm looking at you @OCtoolguy ... lol 😁 

20230630_194036.jpg

20230630_194049.jpg

Edited by James E. Welch

15 hours ago, James E. Welch said:

Preliminary tests on a version that uses magnets. I taped off my top vacuum so it wouldn't interfere with the results. I wanted to see how well it worked with just the bottom vacuum. Also many of the saws that could potentially use this magnet version (don't have 4 screw holes like the newer Excalibur, excelsior,pegas and king) don't have all the holes drilled around the blade either so I also taped them off. 

The results were pretty good. The attachment moves around a little with the magnets only so you'd have to secure your hose as not to have it pulling down on it. But once the vac comes on the vacuum holds it in place very well. 

I need a guinea pig with an old style Excalibur to send one too. Any volunteers? I'm looking at you @OCtoolguy ... lol 😁 

20230630_194036.jpg

20230630_194049.jpg

Sure. Be glad to.

14 hours ago, James E. Welch said:

Does anyone know if the dewalt saws have tables that a magnet would stick to? A.k.a steel. Or do they have aluminum beds? Wondering if a magnetic fitting would work on those to. 

Cast iron. They'll stick like glue.

Edited by OCtoolguy

16 hours ago, James E. Welch said:

Does anyone know if the dewalt saws have tables that a magnet would stick to? A.k.a steel. Or do they have aluminum beds? Wondering if a magnetic fitting would work on those to. 

James, here's an idea for you for future models with magnets.  Make a 3mm wide tab that goes across so it goes under the bottom blade holder safety arm.  This is how I secured a piece of plywood, instead of that plastic sheet on my old collector.  This way you have an additional way to secure.

The only issue is how thick.  I used 3mm wood, and when I ran my speed higher it would bang a little, thus I sanded grooves in to make it thinner.

Not sure if I am clear in getting my idea out.

99.jpg

7 minutes ago, rafairchild2 said:

James, here's an idea for you for future models with magnets.  Make a 3mm wide tab that goes across so it goes under the bottom blade holder safety arm.  This is how I secured a piece of plywood, instead of that plastic sheet on my old collector.  This way you have an additional way to secure.

The only issue is how thick.  I used 3mm wood, and when I ran my speed higher it would bang a little, thus I sanded grooves in to make it thinner.

Not sure if I am clear in getting my idea out.

99.jpg

I understand. Thanks for the tip. What do you think of the part? Still working as expected?  

Edited by James E. Welch