3d printed dust collection solution

I wasn't happy at all with the dust collection on my king industrial 16 so I got to work on a solution. After a little design work and a few adjustments I came up with something that works much better than the original. Just thought I'd share. If it'll help anyone I've listed them on my etsy shop. I know it fits a king industrial and an Excalibur 21 for sure. 

20230619_110834.jpg

20230619_110843.jpg

30 minutes ago, Sycamore67 said:

How does it work to install a blade? Do you take it off?

I was James' test dummy. If I can do it, anyone can do it! This is on my Excalibur 21".

Yes, remove the blade as normal as if you were removing a dull blade.  Then remove the 4- Phillips head screws holding on the old dust collector and remove the old plastic sheet too.  Then slide the new collector in, replace the 4 screws and washers, connect your hose.

I had to use a burr tool to widen the inside of the vacuum collector hose part slightly for my vacuum attachment (less than 0.1mm), as I use an inside adapter.  But overall, it took me less than 10 minutes start to finish. Blade out, blade in.

INSTRUCTIONS:

Image 1: After removing blade, remove the 4 Phillps head screws and washers holding the old collector.  Keep them as you will reuse them.

il_794xN.5036591784_22ne.jpg

Image 2: After any needed modifications to new collector, (minimal if any) slide into place and replace with the reused screws and washers. Do not torque down yet until after all screws are in, and everything is seated.

il_794xN.5084782391_6lew.jpg

Image 3: Slide the collector so screws are lined to the middle, then tighten screws. Do not over tighten.

il_794xN.5036563114_fy2k.jpg

Image 4: Place your vacuum hose on the new collector.  I did an inside adapter.  You can also use an outer adapter instead.

il_794xN.5036563124_nutt.jpg

Edited by rafairchild2

20 minutes ago, Sycamore67 said:

How does it work to install a blade? Do you take it off?

rafairchild2 explained it better than I could. :) It's pretty easy to install. You don't have to remove it to change blades if that's what you were meaning. Once installed it stays in place. There's a channel that circles around the blade that lets it collect dust right at the source but it is out of the way enough to change blades. 

58 minutes ago, rafairchild2 said:

You forgot your link to etsy...

Hey.. who's the sexy hand model in your photos on your store?

Love the stubby! 🤣

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1497458276/3d-printed-scrollsaw-dust-collection

Thanks, totally forgot that part. Guess, I don't make a very good salesman. LOL 

I'll keep my day job. :)

3 minutes ago, James E. Welch said:

Thanks, totally forgot that part. Guess, I don't make a very good salesman. LOL 

I'll keep my day job. :)

I just updated the photos in my post above with step-by-step instructions on how I did it under each image.

Once the new collector is installed and hooked up, everything operates the same as the old.  None of your blade changing processes or other operations change.  This is like an OEM replacement, just better.

4 minutes ago, rafairchild2 said:

I just updated the photos in my post above with step-by-step instructions on how I did it under each image.

Once the new collector is installed and hooked up, everything operates the same as the old.  None of your blade changing processes or other operations change.  This is like an OEM replacement, just better.

That's awesome! Thanks for doing that. 

Hmmm, I don't have all the holes in my table as my saws are of the "green" vintage. I wonder how this adapter might work with only the one oval shaped hole. Too much suction? I'd love to give it a try. I'd have to do some drilling/tapping for the mounting screws but that's not a big deal. 

Edited by OCtoolguy

13 minutes ago, OCtoolguy said:

Hmmm, I don't have all the holes in my table as my saws are of the "green" vintage. I wonder how this adapter might work with only the one oval shaped hole. Too much suction? I'd love to give it a try. I'd have to do some drilling/tapping for the mounting screws but that's not a big deal. 

Can you send me some pictures of your saw? Maybe I could come up with something that would work

1 hour ago, OCtoolguy said:

Double stick tape!

1 hour ago, BadBob said:

This is a bit off-topic but my curiosity is killing me so I have to ask.

How are you mounting and connecting the Loc-line to your vacuum?

image.thumb.jpeg.90fff8fbf80a452c70f4c93267155180.jpeg

Here are the part numbers, I ordered from MSC Industrial Supply (mscdirect.com)

I have 2 1/2 inch dust collection hose with a y that goes to top and bottom. Locline is expensive but it works well. I have a valve on the bottom portion so I can throttle back the 3d printed bottom section when needed. The when needed part is typically when I first start cutting on some projects, before there is enough holes in the piece to suck air through. When you don't have many holes in the piece it can sometimes try to suck it to the table a little on my set up. I'm using a dust collector and haven't tried it on a shop vac, that could be different. Alternately you could not turn on the dust collection until after your first cut is made. Usually all it takes is one hole to stop it sucking to the table. If that makes sense. 

16 minutes ago, James E. Welch said:

image.thumb.jpeg.90fff8fbf80a452c70f4c93267155180.jpeg

Here are the part numbers, I ordered from MSC Industrial Supply (mscdirect.com)

I have 2 1/2 inch dust collection hose with a y that goes to top and bottom. Locline is expensive but it works well. I have a valve on the bottom portion so I can throttle back the 3d printed bottom section when needed. The when needed part is typically when I first start cutting on some projects, before there is enough holes in the piece to suck air through. When you don't have many holes in the piece it can sometimes try to suck it to the table a little on my set up. I'm using a dust collector and haven't tried it on a shop vac, that could be different. Alternately you could not turn on the dust collection until after your first cut is made. Usually all it takes is one hole to stop it sucking to the table. If that makes sense. 

I think this will work. Loc-Line 80813 Shop Vacuum Kit, 2.5", Blue/Orange

I use a shop vacuum because I have a CleanStream filter that filters 0.3 microns, and my dust collector is 10 microns. Testing in my shop with my tools, I find that this works better than the dust collector, which catches the big stuff (chips), but the fine stuff goes right through the ten-micron bag. I don't have any tools with a 4-inch connector.

42 minutes ago, BadBob said:

I think this will work. Loc-Line 80813 Shop Vacuum Kit, 2.5", Blue/Orange

I use a shop vacuum because I have a CleanStream filter that filters 0.3 microns, and my dust collector is 10 microns. Testing in my shop with my tools, I find that this works better than the dust collector, which catches the big stuff (chips), but the fine stuff goes right through the ten-micron bag. I don't have any tools with a 4-inch connector.

I think that might be the same fittings. I'm sure it would work. 

I have a grizzly dust collector that goes down to 2.5 microns and a Wen dust filter that goes down to 1 micron I think. I don't have a way to measure but it seems to work pretty well. 

1-1/2 HP Portable Dust Collector at Grizzly.com

Amazon.com: WEN 3417 3-Speed Remote-Controlled Industrial-Strength Air Filtration System (556/702/1044 CFM) : Everything Else

25 minutes ago, TAIrving said:

@James E. Welch Following with interest.  I will wait for the reviews but likely will order one of these.  

2 questions:

1.  Will it fit a Pegas 21" 

2. Will it affect the ability to tilt the table top?  What is the max tilt with this installed?

Your table doesn't tilt.