Dremel plunge router

trackman

Here is the best you can get for what you want, in my opinion.   I have this one: https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-and-supplies/types-of-tools/routers-and-bits/routers/precision-router-base/ it is smaller than dremels, I think.  I also have the parts to make it a plunge base if I want.  Simple conversion.  Or you can go all out and get this one:  https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-and-supplies/types-of-tools/routers-and-bits/routers/stewmac-plunge-router-base/.   It's own light where you need it and a blower to blow the dust away.  Nice deal on it right now two bases for the price of one.  If I were going to be making a lot of models I would get their plunge.  I could see all kinds of uses for it in model making.  I bought mine for making cigar box guitars. I use it a lot.

4 hours ago, Dan said:

I am 50/50 with the Dremel plunge router. Practice on some scrap until you feel comfortable or feel like giving up. If you have a good guide and good grip you should do good. 

I've been using mine only for drilling pilot holes and have found that it is sloppy enough that it bends the bits. I've tried to figure out a way to tighten it up but so far I haven't had any luck. But, now that I have the Stewmac I will probably put the Dremel up on the shelf.

2 hours ago, BadBob said:

I have the Veritas Plunge Base for Rotary Tools. Actually, I have the whole kit for it. It works great for my purposes. I opted for the Veritas over the Stewmac because of its versatility.

Got to say, I wish there was a way to adapt that fence to my Stew Mac plunge base.  That is pretty neat.