Strike 2 for horrible online wood

jimmyG

Took another shot at ordering some 1/4 Baltic birch plywood. It "looked" fine at first glance but after the pattern was applied and 40 some holes drilled it turned out to be a chip out mess. The thickness was NOT 1/4 and the outer veneers were paper thin. After trying every fancy blade I own it was not meant to be. Tear out was horrible on both sides.  That crap is on it's way back.  This part of my woodworking experience has been very challenging.  I don't mind paying a premium price if I'm getting value!

7 hours ago, OCtoolguy said:

It seems that there are folks here who have suggested reliable sources. Have you tried any of them?

Haven't tried any others yet. They are all great until they aren't.  If there's a 10%  chance of getting a dud, I'm usually in that group, just the way it's always been... Maybe I'll get lucky on the next online order from one of the recommendations here. 

10 hours ago, Ctutor said:

that's why I only use ooch woods good comp-and excellent wood of all kinds

The prices at Ooch woods look crazy affordable.  Sometimes it all comes down to who fills the order for quality control. I really hate to keep returning things. Is the quality always consistent?

10 minutes ago, scrollerpete said:

I have made over 10 orders from Ochooch and never had a bad piece of wood, highly recommended

Hi Pete

I just ordered 1/4 BB from KJP Hardwoods in your neck of the woods.  I got B/BB Baltic Birch cheaper than buying a whole sheet or BB/BB here.

Came the next day.

19 hours ago, OCtoolguy said:

It seems that there are folks here who have suggested reliable sources. Have you tried any of them?

I have used Oooch Hardwoods for several years  for ply and craft ready.  The wood is excellent the service extraordinary. I highly recommend them over others that I have tried.

23 hours ago, don in brooklin on said:

Hi Pete

I just ordered 1/4 BB from KJP Hardwoods in your neck of the woods.  I got B/BB Baltic Birch cheaper than buying a whole sheet or BB/BB here.

Came the next day.

You should see the extension of the store grand opening next Saturday BBQ and prizes come on down

Home Depot also has what is called project panels. I cannot remember the exact sizes but I think they are 12 x 19 and can come in various thickness. Sometimes a project looks better cut from something other than bland grain of BBply. These project panels come in Birch, cherry, maple, and walnut ( maybe others too). I’ve never had an issue with this stuff and might be worth looking into if you’re stuck with mail ordering. I get my BBply locally in 5x5 sheets but have got them from Cherokee wood supply online during the pandemic and all was great quality. Prices are decent considering they have to be mailed. 

8 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

Home Depot also has what is called project panels. I cannot remember the exact sizes but I think they are 12 x 19 and can come in various thickness. Sometimes a project looks better cut from something other than bland grain of BBply. These project panels come in Birch, cherry, maple, and walnut ( maybe others too). I’ve never had an issue with this stuff and might be worth looking into if you’re stuck with mail ordering. I get my BBply locally in 5x5 sheets but have got them from Cherokee wood supply online during the pandemic and all was great quality. Prices are decent considering they have to be mailed. 

I use those project panels all the time. Only using the BB plywood for scroll sawing.