Do You Feel Lucky? I Do Now!

jimmyG

I tell myself i'm only going to cut what I have entry holes drilled for but before I know it, I'm drilling a few more holes.  Saying to myself this is the last cut then I'm taking a break and the next thing I know, I've been at it for 4 hours...   The ice works wonders afterwards.

This was my first portrait project and I guess I was anxious to see it through!

1 hour ago, jimmyG said:

I tell myself i'm only going to cut what I have entry holes drilled for but before I know it, I'm drilling a few more holes.  Saying to myself this is the last cut then I'm taking a break and the next thing I know, I've been at it for 4 hours...   The ice works wonders afterwards.

This was my first portrait project and I guess I was anxious to see it through!

I limit my time at the saw.   When cutting a many hole pattern, my rule is: about two hours or when the 3rd blade breaks, it is time to take a break.  Fortunately, I don't suffer from pain, but at my age, my endurance ain't what it use to be. 

Btw, nice job cutting.  Did you wind up using any spirals? 

52 minutes ago, FrankEV said:

I limit my time at the saw.   When cutting a many hole pattern, my rule is: about two hours or when the 3rd blade breaks, it is time to take a break.  Fortunately, I don't suffer from pain, but at my age, my endurance ain't what it use to be. 

Btw, nice job cutting.  Did you wind up using any spirals? 

I'm trying to learn how to pace myself but with this one I started it almost a week ago and couldn't resist sitting through a little pain here and there to see it completed.  Been dealing with this condition for 10+ years so I know how to deal with it.
Sadly no, I didn't end up using the spirals..  I did practice with them but  since it was small I had no problem spinning it to make the cuts anyway.

Thanks.
I've cut a variety of things the first four months of my new hobby and cut many plaques but never a portrait.  Even though it wasn't anything complex with many entry holes to drill it's all about practice to me and I've always been a big Clint Eastwood fan for the last 60 years.  I started with his eyes and since I didn't ruin them I decided to keep at it until it was finished.    Go for it next year!