New chess sets

Dave Monk

Oh man Dave that is a beauty!  You Re the chess set King, for sure. I have a piece of alternative Ivory for the light colored pieces.  I do not know how well it will cut on a scroll saw, I have turned it on a lathe and it was very nice to turn.  I also do not know how it will price out either.  May find it is overly expensive,  I do have a piece I am going to play with to see how it would look,  how much sanding after cutting is another consideration.  But if it you like Ivory and it worked it would be beautiful.

https://www.masecraftsupply.com/Alternative-Ivory-col849TM_c_268.html

3 minutes ago, Scrappile said:

Oh man Dave that is a beauty!  You Re the chess set King, for sure. I have a piece of alternative Ivory for the light colored pieces.  I do not know how well it will cut on a scroll saw, I have turned it on a lathe and it was very nice to turn.  I also do not know how it will price out either.  May find it is overly expensive,  I do have a piece I am going to play with to see how it would look,  how much sanding after cutting is another consideration.  But if it you like Ivory and it worked it would be beautiful.

Would love to know how it cuts. These are 1 1/4 x 1 1/4. I glued us 3/4 aspen for the white. I've tried every type of glue and I can't seem to hide the joint. I ordered some 2 x 2 aspen on line but the color was bad. I have some 2x maple but I have no luck trying to compound cut on thick wood. 

8 hours ago, Scrappile said:

Dave when I try I well tell you but do to some health problem have do less and less scrolling. Hope to get back.  I think the brock I have is a little thin.  Well let you know when I get a chance to try it.

Sure hate to hear about your health.  Hope you are back at the saw again soon. 

10 hours ago, Scrappile said:

Paul @Scrappile, best wishes for you with your health issues.  Here's hoping they clear up soon and you are able to get back to the shop.

Regarding the Alternative Ivory:  that looks interesting, but I have a question.  On their website, they price the pieces by dimension, i.e. 3x5x1/4 but do not tell us what the units are.  Nowhere can I find if that is in inches or mm or feet or what.  Do you know what the units are?  

1 hour ago, TAIrving said:

Regarding the Alternative Ivory:  that looks interesting, but I have a question.  On their website, they price the pieces by dimension, i.e. 3x5x1/4 but do not tell us what the units are.  Nowhere can I find if that is in inches or mm or feet or what.  Do you know what the units are?  

Given that they are in CT, I would assume the measurements are in inches.

• 2 weeks later...