Oxygen Support

I recently started on oxygen support (all the years I smoked its lucky I'm around to ask this question).  Is anyone with oxygen spending time in the shop daily? How do you keep from tripping over the hose? It not too bad if I'm scrolling but today I had to get out a belt sander and then a router table and then the bits etc So I was running all over the shop.

Thanks in advance for any help.

My wife is using oxygen and I do not think  she would do well scrolling,  Unless you have superb dust collection or a good mask you can hook oxygen to.  If not you are taking in find dust, and you do not want to add any more stuff to your lungs, no matter how fine it is.  Sorry you are going though this, it is at best very inconvenient.   But it is what it is.   I smoked but was able to quit about 30 years ago.  She could not. And I think if her lungs healed, which they cannot, she would smoke again... I know she still misses it.  She has other problems also and in constant pain.  I don't think her pain is related to the smoking.  I am 4 years older than her and I am her care giver... My cooking may kill her quicker than anything else.  I am not good at it.  Thank God for prepared things that I can that I can throw into the micro-wave or oven..  My cooking is so good, I have lost 18 pounds in the past 6 months.  Her also. So if you need a diet plan,,, hire me as your cook.  You had better like lattice  salads.  

Posted (edited)

When I realized I'd be on 02 forever I guess I figured wood dust would be an issue and purchased a Trend dust helmet. Here's a pic, or at least I think there is? This unit has a replaceable filter inside the helmet and a battery powered motor which creates positive air pressure inside. No dust gets in. It's not particularly comfortable to wear and its pretty warm so I'm sure it will be less comfortable come summer.

Trend Dust Shield.jpg

Edited by oldhudson
Pic not showing up

On 3/31/2024 at 3:48 PM, Scrappile said:

My wife is using oxygen and I do not think  she would do well scrolling,  Unless you have superb dust collection or a good mask you can hook oxygen to.  If not you are taking in find dust, and you do not want to add any more stuff to your lungs, no matter how fine it is.  Sorry you are going though this, it is at best very inconvenient.   But it is what it is.   I smoked but was able to quit about 30 years ago.  She could not. And I think if her lungs healed, which they cannot, she would smoke again... I know she still misses it.  She has other problems also and in constant pain.  I don't think her pain is related to the smoking.  I am 4 years older than her and I am her care giver... My cooking may kill her quicker than anything else.  I am not good at it.  Thank God for prepared things that I can that I can throw into the micro-wave or oven..  My cooking is so good, I have lost 18 pounds in the past 6 months.  Her also. So if you need a diet plan,,, hire me as your cook.  You had better like lattice  salads.  

I have said it over and over. If our microwave ever quits, we'll starve to death.

Not needing oxygen, yet. But I have my own complete photo studio. It's small by comparison to most, so I have had to come up with ways to make it safer. I had way too many trip hazards in there, with cables and tripod stand legs making trip hazards everywhere. So I built a ceiling grid to hang the lights with power running along the sides to the grid. Now, all power is within 5' of wherever I hang a light and all of the power cables and lights hang from the ceiling instead of being trip hazards on the floor.

I'm thinking that hanging your Oxygen extension hose from the ceiling, centered over where you usually work in your shop might work for you in a similar way that I have set my photo studio up. For me, only one communication cable hangs from the ceiling with enough slack for me to move the camera around the usual half of the studio where I use the camera. From that point above it runs along the ceiling to where my computer is located and drops down along the wall to the computer table where the computer is located. In your case, this would be your oxygen system. My cable connects my cable to my computer so every time that I take a photo, the camera sends the photo to the computer within 2 seconds. Though the cable hangs low between the camera and the point on the ceiling, it stays off of the floor no matter where I use the camera. I think running your oxygen hose across the ceiling in this same way would keep you connected, yet free to move around in a 10' X 10' or so area without "hanging" yourself in the process. Make this hose a permanent installation in your shop and switch to it whenever working there. Have another shorter hose to use when carrying your oxygen tank around with you.

Charley  

On 3/31/2024 at 3:48 PM, Scrappile said:

Paul your cooking isn't so awful.  You made a great hamburger for Dick @heppnerguy and I when we were over last summer....I think you BBQ'd it and it was pretty darn good!

Based on CharleyL's suggestion I mounted the tank on a closet wall and ran the cannula across the ceiling to the approximate center. I can reach the main areas but I haven't tried the far corners.  The first pic show the tank in a carrying bag and the start of the cannula run. The second pic shows the run under the HVAC enclosure. And finally the end hanging in the center of the shop. All pics taken from the same spot. Thanks for your help.

O2 tank.jpg

O2cannula ceiling run.jpg

O2cannula+extension.jpg

I'm glad you are at least trying my suggestion. When I need to move my camera outside the range of my 25' tether cable, I have an extension cable that I can use. With this additional 25' I can even work into the next room and still be connected to the PC. You should be able to get an extension for your oxygen hose and do the same thing. 

I like this arrangement, because there is very little to no cabling ever on the floor, unless the extension is in use. With it in use it does drag across the floor and I need to be careful to avoid tripping over it or tangling it up with something, but I only used the extension once in the past 2 years, so not a very serious problem in my situation. 

Charley

i am on supplemental o2 for six months now..  But I ran a line to supply filtered air from outsie the shop before I needed the O2.  The air was supplied by an old c-pap machine to my respirator.  I ran a line across the ceiling to the center of the shop ceiling and put a retractible coil 02 hose to that fitting, and 10 feet reaches  to the walls. but noy quite to the floors along the edges.  I have an oxygen fitting on my shop respirator (The kind with the two cartridges.) and the input is connected to the back strap of the respirator.       It is not ideal, but works.    I had been carrying the saw out onto the porch in nice weather and wearing an N95 while keeping the breeze to my side to blow the dust sway.

I have also since, hooked up a dust collector and an air filtration system as well.  Might be a little redundant, but keeps most of the dust  off my clothes. .