Hey...Newbie Here.

Nick@tinkers-cove

Hey everyone.

I started scrolling in mid 2012 after receiving a wooden scrolled piece as a gift. It was of Chinese origin, and the work was beautiful. I was so insired by it, that I immediately purchased my first scrollsaw.

Although I have always been into art (Nouveau, Deco, Filigree etc), I have no history or background of woodworking at all. I simply started cutting, and it came to me instantly.

I find that it is very satisfiying and rewarding when I have acheived the exact look of the subject. I have been known to completely scrap a pattern after many hours of work - If it's not quite right.

I have recently started using pyrography to create the shading effect with much more detail.

So, please feel free to take a look at my work, and all comments are greatly received (Good or Bad).

Thank you, and "Happy Scrolling"

Nick.

Edited by Nick@tinkers-cove

Hey, thanks everyone. This is such a friendly place to be - your kind words are really appreciated. I have started adding to my gallery, if anyone wants to see my work. I welcome all criticism. In the meantime, I think I'll have a slow walk through the village.

Thanks all.

Nick.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Nick,  I too started cutting on a scroll saw because of running into a vendor booth of  intarsia dogs and I found them very interesting. I did not think it was anything I could do and it was years later that i looked it up on the computer and made myself a pattern to see if I could indeed do it myself..I discovered I could and dove in. That was about 5 years ago and since then I have made one heck of a lot of pieces. I only started scrolling when I saw some baskets done on a scroll saw and decided it was something I liked and  not one of those 'color book' looking, flat items that I have never  liked and still don't. I have given most of my stuff away as presents and am not really interested in selling them because I get most of my pleasure from doing things especially for people I love. I have many pieces in Germany as well as other european places, where I also have many friends, because of hosting exchange students. I recently donated an intarsia piece to the local Hospice organization to use for their annual fund raising auction. I sell things only when people come to me with a particular request, that I also enjoy because it is something someone particularilly wants. I also just started to add pyrographics to my work...only used it on a couple of pieces so I am really new at it.....hope to pick up on the technics of it soon.