PeteM Posted September 10 Posted September 10 (edited) Hello all, I'm seeking any recommendations and advice on foot pedals (such as which pedals are the best, whereto buy,etc) and any other accessories that someone new to scrolling should investigate using. My scroll saw is the king 22" Thanks, Pete Edited September 10 by PeteM OCtoolguy 1 Quote
don in brooklin on Posted September 11 Posted September 11 I bought my foot pedal at Harbor Freight. I have the Deadman version (Momentary). I have the other version tap on and tap off on my sanders where I want to turn on a dust collector too. barb.j.enders, OCtoolguy and tomsteve 3 Quote
Mike Crosa Posted September 11 Posted September 11 I have the Wen dead mans switch press to run lift to stop. OCtoolguy and barb.j.enders 2 Quote
barb.j.enders Posted September 11 Posted September 11 I have one for my saw and one for my foredom style rotary tool. Both are press to run/lift to stop. OCtoolguy and tomsteve 2 Quote
ChelCass Posted September 11 Posted September 11 I Have a deadmans foot pedal I bought from Amazon and love it. It was quite inexpensive and works great. Just plug the saw into the switch and plug the switch into the wall outlet. super simple. barb.j.enders and OCtoolguy 2 Quote
TAIrving Posted September 11 Posted September 11 This is the one I use, deadman style. Foot Switch, Foot Operated Pedal Controller Power Switch Woodworking Machine Control, 5-ft Cable with Piggyback Plug, Deadman Style: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific OCtoolguy 1 Quote
tomsteve Posted September 11 Posted September 11 this is another one of the ,"I don't think there's too much difference between brands: thing,IMO. I prefer a deadmans pedal and have had a HF one for many years.I can shut the scroll saw down real quick by just takin my foot off of it. another accessory that is real handy is lighting. I got this light from idk where. i mounted it on the upper arm. gets light right where I need it. I found a dog is a good accessory,too. sausage reminds me to take a break and enjoy some time with her barb.j.enders, Mike Crosa and OCtoolguy 2 1 Quote
munzieb Posted September 11 Posted September 11 I have 2 HF non- momentary foot switches. I tend to move around alot when cutting and the momentary switch doesn't work for me. A couple of years ago I had a conversation with Paul and he mentioned that the travel on his switch was too long especially when he is sitting. I took my switch apart by removing the pivot pin and saw the travel issue. I glued a 1/4" piece of wood on the upper pedal portion aligned with the switch and now it requires only a minor tap to turn on and off. I also have one on my HF Hercules table saw. It took a while to get used to it after having a Craftsman 1.13 TS but I like it now except for the on-off switch. It is in a aukward position. I perfer to keep both hands on any wood I cut instead of reaching down to the switch that is out of sight. I had a kickback once and learned my lesson. I mounted the switch on a board that is attached to the mount/stand (on wheels) of the saw and I like that I can keep both hands on the wood. OCtoolguy 1 Quote
PeteM Posted September 11 Author Posted September 11 Great input and greatly appreciated. Lucky for me, the most vital accessory suggested, a dog, is already covered by my black lab, Maggie. I'll probably start with a simple pedal from HF (or similar) and see how it works and how I work with it. Lighting will be my next focus . Thanks again everyone OCtoolguy, tomsteve and munzieb 2 1 Quote
scrollerpete Posted September 13 Posted September 13 I have both type and I preferred press to on and press again for off, less tiring when you have a big cut Scrappile, munzieb and OCtoolguy 2 1 Quote
Richard Hotchkiss Posted September 14 Posted September 14 I also have the Harbor Freight foot pedals. I prefer the press once to turn on and then again to turn the saw off. This way I can stretch and move my legs during long sessions on the saw and don't have to worry about the saw shutting off when I lift my foot off the pedal. scrollerpete and OCtoolguy 2 Quote
JTTHECLOCKMAN Posted September 15 Posted September 15 As you see it comes down to a matter of choice. I too have a deadman footswitch. The only thing I will tell you is never use a VS type footswitch on those saws. You will burn the motor out. Have fun. OCtoolguy and Wichman 2 Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.