What Sanders For Intarsia?

smitty0312

I am thinking of trying intarsia after I get my x-mas orders done, will be a good January project, my question is....what are the necessary sanding tools to get great results? I have a dremel, would a flex shaft option be good for that?, I have a spindle sander,......what else? I appreciate all the help I get here.

Glad to hear it :thumbs:

We don't know everything about it but will offer you our help and will try to answer any questions you may have. We will tell you what we use but want to remind you that you may or may not need all of them.

A small belt sander because it removes material fast. Small flap sander to smooth or round over the edges. A dremel and flex shaft with different tools for fine detail shaping and sanding in small areas.

I know when starting a new or different project you have a wonderful excuse to buy more tools and usually can talk the wife into it. Good luck with you project, but it sounds like you have the basics needed to try intarsia.

God Bless

Homer & Carol

post-2165-0-57138000-1381165420_thumb.jpg

post-2165-0-20353500-1381165470_thumb.jpg

post-2165-0-90575300-1381165524_thumb.jpg

post-2165-0-79901200-1381165578_thumb.jpg

:) my biggest tool used is the drum sander in the drill press,with a blanket behind the drill press to slow down the pieces I let slip out of my fingers as I sand my nails,lol It help localize  a place to look for them too.A quick way is a 45 degree router bit for down and dirty fast removal of beveling the side of intarsia pieces.all ways work suit your self.the dremil is very handy too. :)

I have the Dremel to round the edges and a mop sander to polish the pieces. The mop sander is a great tool, I use a gold 320 grit 1"x 6", you can get it at Klingspors http://www.woodworkingshop.com. I also have an orbital sander that I use to sand smooth the wood before I start cutting. 

Orlando

PRScroller

I have on my bucket list to learn intarsia but other projects keep getting in the way. I have the JGR workbook and done first 2 1/2 projects.

I visited Judy Gale Roberts studio last year and she recommend the Flex Drum sander.  I have all the grits and have found it great for other things too. 

Here is a picture my sanding station with the flex drum and the wonder wheel on the other.  I also have sanding mops and a spindle/belt sander too.

post-2032-0-58343800-1381199326_thumb.jpg

Sorry the picture is on rotated and I don't know how to fix,

Edited by don in brooklin on

I bought mine from http://stockroomsupply.ca/shop/

I have the 6 inch at a few grits.  On Monday they brought their wood show to our club and I bought the mini mop.  Have not used yet but I love the bigger one.

They gave a demo on the Little ripper and I am so tempted. Makes re-sawing such a breeze.

I know they are located in Canada but most of their business in the USA.  Check out the shows they are going to be at as they usually have deals.

I have no affiliation with the company.

Don

PS:  The owner is also known as the Crazy Canuck.  Se him in action on you tube.

When I started doing intarsia, I used a scroll saw and a bench top belt sander.  After several pieces I added a dremel with Flex shaft.  Today, I still use both of those, (although the belt is used but rarely now) but have added a flexible drum to my drill press, and a sanding mop.  Most intarsians  will recommend a spindle sander, but if you can cut your pieces accurately, you can do without that one.  Just insure your blade is square to the table, and don't rush your cutting.

I have on my bucket list to learn intarsia but other projects keep getting in the way. I have the JGR workbook and done first 2 1/2 projects.

I visited Judy Gale Roberts studio last year and she recommend the Flex Drum sander.  I have all the grits and have found it great for other things too. 

Here is a picture my sanding station with the flex drum and the wonder wheel on the other.  I also have sanding mops and a spindle/belt sander too.

attachicon.gifIMG_7876.JPG

Sorry the picture is on rotated and I don't know how to fix,

Is that  a wonderwheel on your bench grinder ?  If so, did you find it a valuable investment..I have been thinking about one myself. Just want to be sure it would be worth the investment

Yes one end is a Wonder Wheel.

I visited the JGR studio in Tennessee and Judy herself convinced me that it would be a idea to have one as lot of her patterns make use of the wonder wheel.

As I stated I am just getting started to do Intarsia and so I can't really say as I have only done a couple of beginner projects.  A friend came and used it to add texture the wings of a bird and he loved it and it turned out great. 

Here is the link to how to use it http://intarsia.com/frequently-asked-questions/wonder-wheel-help/

I am going to get really back into my learning project and so I probably will be able give you a better idea in the future.

Don

• 6 months later...

Added a new sander to my collection this past week.  Wife gave me this one for my Birthday.  Its the Seyco double drum sander runs at about 1700 rpm (perfect for sanding)  Have not used it on a finished piece as yet, but I have sanded a couple of scraps to see how it worked.  Much easier than holding things sideways on the drill press.  Adding this sander forced me to move the shop to a different room in the basement.  it simply would not fit in the 7 x 10 foot space I had been in.  Also added a Dust Collection system and I think I am getting things set up pretty well for the future.  New shop is 14 by 14 so I nearly tripled the space.

post-10920-0-21682900-1399323055_thumb.jpg

post-10920-0-62245500-1399323081_thumb.jpg