Hello to all.

hognut

My name is Gary. I am just getting interested in scrolling. I do not have a saw yet but am doing a lot of research on the net. I am retired and have done some wood carving in the past. I hope to be able to get started in the next couple of weeks. I am getting a lot of information from reading your posts. Thank you. - Gary 

Gary, I'm glad you joined us.

I think everyone here but you has at least one scroll saw.

This is a good place to do some of your research on scroll saws. 

There is a good post you should check.

In  " Town Square "  >  General Scroll Sawing  >  about the third (3) page down,

there is a post titled "Which Scroll Saw do you use"?

It is worth checking out

Another post is " Scroll Saw Mfg's "

I wish you well selecting one.

And if you like working with wood, you will love being a scroll sawyer.

Larry

Welcome Gary I came here a few weeks ago and feel very welcome in the village they are a recourse and don't mind you picking their brain good luck selecting a saw, I just bought a new one myself, there is a lot of choices for the money.

Main thing have fun with it. I'm Hans and I live in Mexico.

Hi Gary,

Welcome to The Village, The most important thing is to have fun with scrolling. I only have one suggestion for you. When you get your saw, be sure and give your wife a kiss and tell her you love her and she may not see you for a few weeks, at least not for very long.  Then go to the shop and have fun..HINT;  the one thing you need to keep in mind is to start off by making your wife a few things that she likes and then she will be OK with you in the shop. :lol:;) 

Seriously, If you have any questions about anything then fire away, keep coming back as often as you can and let us get to know you and you to know all of us. Your will quickly find that we are a big, world wide family and we are all very friendly.  Bendita is right, it  won't be very long before you too will know you are part of this family.

Dick

heppnerguy

Hi Gary, Like you I am a newcomer to the forum and can confirm they are a great bunch of people only to willing to help. Like others I bought an entry level saw just to see how I got on, found that it is very addictive and bought myself a decent machine. Good advice from Dick although I have found that absence does make the heart grow fonder :D

Welcome

Mel

Gary,  I would yell 'Gary' if I could.  Go to Sears. You gotta have a Sears store close by.

They sell Delta's... I think they are a good saw.

I say Sears because.... If you don't like it, you can return it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got a Delta from them, did not like it, returned it and had them order me another one.

I like the saw.

Just a suggestion.

Larry

Gary.

I just noticed that you are from Oregon, as I am, could I ask you where in Oregon that you live, I live in Eastern Oregon but spent most of my  life in the Portland area.

Dick

heppnerguy

Hello Dick,

I live in grants pass. I moved here last March from San Diego. I have a daughter who lives in Hillsboro so I get up in your area every so often. It is nice to meet you.

Gary

hognut

Edited by hognut

Gary,  I would yell 'Gary' if I could.  Go to Sears. You gotta have a Sears store close by.

They sell Delta's... I think they are a good saw.

I say Sears because.... If you don't like it, you can return it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got a Delta from them, did not like it, returned it and had them order me another one.

I like the saw.

Just a suggestion.

Larry

Thank you Larry,

I have tried the local Sears but they do not have one on display. I am going to Medford next week and they have a bigger Sears so probbly will have on I can see and touch.

Gary

Gary

I have not seen a scroll saw on display in any store. Scroll saws are not a big sell like

table saws, drill presses, compressors 

Home Depot and Lowes sell Dewalt also. Dewalt is a good saw. But

if you are not satisfied, it is earier to return to a store than repack and ship it back

to "Granger"

Delta and Dewalt are basically the same saw.

Used to be that Delta came w/stand and Dewalt did not. You had to buy stand separate.

Enough from me...

Larry

Thank you all for the help. I do not have any local stores that stock saws so will probbly order on-line. Is there an on line store that users here suport? Perhaps a member? If so I would like to support them if I can.

What no Lowes or Home Depot or Saws in stock ??? Man thats just not right , I'd get in touch with your congressman and make him fix that problem. LOL OBTW Welcome to the loonie bin

sully