I hate spiral blades

I knew I hated spiral blades but had no choice as this was 3' long in oak and after I finished it I remembered why because they are really difficult to control.

I know some of you love them but I have slowed down speeded up I still don't like um but some things you just can't turn around on a EX-21.

Thanks for listening to my rant.

Roly

post-2228-0-76274800-1390667425_thumb.jpg

Edited by Phantom Scroller

Hi Roly

Just the same you did a surprisingly great job. Doing that size of a project is where I find a 30" scroll saw comes in handy for when you need it. Very seldom use spiral blades either than for a special purpose. You made an error on the sign ... NIGEL's is spelled RON's ... Lol. Have a great day.

I hate them too. Only ever used them once in a pattern and I think I only had to do about 4 lines and then I was back to my flat blades. Because it was such a big piece I was making half a cut taking it off the saw, turning it around and finishing the cut. Was a very long process.

Marg

Roly, my thought is use a flat blade when you can and a spiral when you have to. I don't care for them but sometimes there is no getting around it.

Roly, I have to agree with Dan here, if it's possible to use a flat blade - I will.     I'll only use spirals when there is no option but to use them.

Keith

I do not use spirals but I did try them.  I do not do fretwork and find the cut on the toys I was making at the time was way too rough.  I could have used my band saw and gotten a smoother cut.  When I have a long piece to cut I twist my regular #5 blade ninety degrees and cut from the side of the saw.

I do not use spirals but I did try them.  I do not do fretwork and find the cut on the toys I was making at the time was way too rough.  I could have used my band saw and gotten a smoother cut.  When I have a long piece to cut I twist my regular #5 blade ninety degrees and cut from the side of the saw.

Jim surely if you have to keep turning the blade it's going to break the blade or do you keep changing it?

Roly