7/4 My Butterfly Box...

Christina

I got it done! I didn't have the stock to do a large box, so this is a trinket size box made from scrap. I used 1/4" mahogany for the lid and bottom, 1/4' aromatic cedar for the overlay on the lid and the butterfly body, 3/4" cherry for the center rings, and 1/8" maple for the butterfly wings, brass wire for the antennae. I had a heck of a time with the butterfly wings being sooooo tiny! I screwed them up twice and then on the third try I managed to get them cut........but slightly modified since the grain kept pulling me through one particular bridge. I use clear acrylic spray as a finish.........I still need to add a couple more coats but didn't want it too shiny to take pics of it.

I think it would be much much better larger and with better contrasting woods. The cherry I have has dark and light both through it so it looks like I used two different woods for the center rings........it was one board. I think the overlay would have been prettier and showed better in a lighter wood and 1/8" instead of 1/4". And I decided 1/4" was too chunky for the butterfly wings and changed it to 1/8" instead. I think the wings would look awesome made from transparent acrylic too.

But all in all...........this is the best piece I've cut so far and I'm proud of this one lololol! For my skill level it turned out great. This is only about the 4th piece I've done that hasn't turned into designer firewood. And I think this is slated to be a Christmas gift for my sister in law.........she's goofy for all things butterfly!

Christina

thumb_butterfly_box_2.jpg thumb_butterfly_box_3.jpg

Hi Christina, Wow that turned out great you have every right to be proud dont under estimate your talent........... About the wings when I have to cut a thin bridge I tilt the table to give an angled cut it looks like a 1mm cut from the top but 3 or 4mm on the backer side.......once again great work

Paul :)