New Guy Near Chattanooga

Bill H

Hello from Chattanooga!

I'm very new to scroll sawing. I have been woodworking for years. I mostly do lathe work now days.

I was recently given and old Craftsman scroll saw, BUT it saw missing a few parts. The parts needed to bring it back to life are no longer made or instock anywhere. And there are no retro kits made for the old saw.

So I ordered a Delta 40-694. For now I'm just trying to learn how to make cuts.

Bill ,congrats on the new saw! best advice I can give ,what ever blade you choose ,what ever you decide to cut ,The blade is the boss ,feed only as fast as the blade can cut smoothly .you are the feeder ,the direction and pressure you impose determines how well the cut is made ,force is not your friend ,smooth easy complete control is your job Tight tention no side pressure ,you can not force any more than the lathe ,practice hand drawn circles ,best training ,then tight corners ,and you will be amazed what you can do letters are excellent start w,thin stock then advance to thicker ,(RULE1) The Blades is boss( Rule 2) The blade is still Boss (Rule 3) refer to rule one and two !!(RULE 4) there are no EXCEPTIONS ,stupid !! Best of luck !! Carl !!

The two covered some basics!

Rule # 3 Make the saw-station comfortable for you-- lights --chair-- music-- whatever it takes to make you want to spend time there

RULE that outweighs all other RULES MKAE things YOU LIKE-- and when it PLEASES YOU That is all that matters.

Advice--into the waste area mistakes--- are easy to fix! Into the piece are harder-- but, most are still manageable.

You are going to throw some away because they are that bad! EVERYPONE else has also!

Also what works well for me --- may be not right at all for you.

Do not be afraid to try things-- start with cheap wood projects first.

The clear packing tape over the wood before putting pattern on can hide a lot of slight errors-- Also

That tape trick lubricates the blade.

I use a paste wax on all the machine tables to just ease things and prevent rust.

ASK QUESTIONS``````` We have among this group made about every screw--up and even know how to avoid/repair a large quantity of them.

Good ;luck and we like to see new projects.

Edited by rjR

Bill, There is a lot to learn! Period!

Every and I mean every blade has its own quirks.

One blade on different wood, different thickness will cut differently.

Blade selection is important.

There is a post in General Scrollsawing on blades for a new scroller.

You can do a search and searches can answer many questions.

I have scrolled for years and I am still learning. Ha... truth be known, I'm still forgetting also.

Welcome here Bill

Larry 

You have that right Bill! I have been practicing for about 20 years and some day I hope to be average at it. :shock:  :oops:  :cry:

Welcome to the village and we hope to see you around. :D  :D

OH I ALMOST FORGOT!!!!! W LOVE to see pictures. Pictures of your shop. your scroll saw projects, and any other projects you may do!!!!!

Welcome Bill,  I am Al from Hillsboro TN.  I have been scrolling for a little over 20 years and still have a whole lot to learn.  Improved over the years and have taken on some very difficult projects compared to what I started out with. Some ended up in the trash and some were worth keeping and I sold several at craft shows and such.  Hard to keep me away from the scroll saw.  I am addicted and I think that when you really get in to it, you will see what I am talking about.  Love taking a chunk of wood and making a piece of art out of it whether it be a small ornament or an intricate portrait.  It's a great hobby.

AL

welcome Bill.  The only thing I have to add is stay away from the blades sold at the big box stores. I recommend either Olson's or flying Dutchman . I prefer Olson's but I will buy flying Dutchman's The cost between these 2 blades and the ones sold at the big Box stores is minimum. Blade tension is very important  . Good luck  and make lots of saw dust.

IKE

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome to the village neighbor lol we are neighbors I'm from Cleveland... just take your time...  who ever said "slow and steady wins the race" they must have been a scrollsawer  I found that if you rush through a project  you won't be happy with it or you will mess it up and break more blades ...I find the pattern I want then I look at the wood to see the best place to position the pattern ... then cut ,cut ,cut ... :D ...God bless ,Dennis

you did a very nice job with your daughter's gift  I know she will love it. she probably will not believe that YOU made it yourself. Have fun and keep up the good work. Please explore everything on TheVillage and log on often. You will soon find that we welcome everyone to The Village the behaves themselves. ( whispering) they have not found out that I am the trouble maker here, yet. This is a wonderful family of world wide scroller and we have a lot of fun here,  glad you found us

Dick

heppnerguy

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the Village

I'm truly impressed with your work.

I myself have done a couple of hundred projects and when I finish each and every one I take a step back and say "Wow I did that, I can't believe it!"  I did an eagle in 2004 and it has been hanging by my front door since. To this day I am still impressed by it. When visitors come over and offer money for, I really become proud of it. Soon you will feel the same way. Looks like you are already a lot better then I was when I was first starting out. Probably better then I am now  :sad: lol