Dust Collection on my Hawk

stevan

I've not really gotten to the point where I can show any work here (unless you really want to see some asymmetrical circles and squares). But I did get my dust collector for my Hawk finished this weekend.

I started with a shop vac short upholstery nozzle, added a stand and magnets to the base (ss8.jpg, ss9.jpg, ss10.jpg, ss11.jpg). Adapted a PVC elbow and fit the nozzle and 2 lengths of straight shop vac pipe. I drilled a hole in one pipe and epoxied a short tube to connect the blade tube to and then everything is collected by the shop vac. (ss2.jpg, ss3.jpg, ss4.jpg) These fittings took a little sanding or cutting to get everything to fit. The silver pipe clamp at the end of the base also has magnets on the bottom so everything can be moved/shifted, broken down, cleaned, stored, modified, etc. ss7.jpg shows the entire set up.

The blade tube is connected to the hold down foot and is therefore adjustable up and down depending on the thickness of the work (ss12.jpg, ss13.jpg).

It works quiet well. After about an hour of sawing last weekend there may have been 1/2 a teaspoon of dust on the table and maybe a full teaspoon under the lower arm. I don't have a before and after picture yet but I'll try to post one up after next weekend.

The only items I purchase for this (that I didn't already have around) were the plastic tubing, tubing holders and the 90 degree elbow. The magnets are even recycled. They come from the toothbrush part of my Sonic electric toothbrush and I must have 40 of them that I've collected over the years.

post-31100-0-48488000-1488296561_thumb.jpg

post-31100-0-63235600-1488296562_thumb.jpg

post-31100-0-62306900-1488296563_thumb.jpg

post-31100-0-57759200-1488296564_thumb.jpg

post-31100-0-56896100-1488296565_thumb.jpg

post-31100-0-54450300-1488296566_thumb.jpg

post-31100-0-74929400-1488296567_thumb.jpg

post-31100-0-55664100-1488296568_thumb.jpg

post-31100-0-74249200-1488296569_thumb.jpg

post-31100-0-69602400-1488296570_thumb.jpg

Edited by stevan

I've not really gotten to the point where I can show any work here (unless you really want to see some asymmetrical circles and squares). But I did get my dust collector for my Hawk finished this weekend.

I started with a shop vac short upholstery nozzle, added a stand and magnets to the base (ss8.jpg, ss9.jpg, ss10.jpg, ss11.jpg). Adapted a PVC elbow and fit the nozzle and 2 lengths of straight shop vac pipe. I drilled a hole in one pipe and epoxied a short tube to connect the blade tube to and then everything is collected by the shop vac. (ss2.jpg, ss3.jpg, ss4.jpg) These fittings took a little sanding or cutting to get everything to fit. The silver pipe clamp at the end of the base also has magnets on the bottom so everything can be moved/shifted, broken down, cleaned, stored, modified, etc. ss7.jpg shows the entire set up.

The blade tube is connected to the hold down foot and is therefore adjustable up and down depending on the thickness of the work (ss12.jpg, ss13.jpg).

It works quiet well. After about an hour of sawing last weekend there may have been 1/2 a teaspoon of dust on the table and maybe a full teaspoon under the lower arm. I don't have a before and after picture yet but I'll try to post one up after next weekend.

The only items I purchase for this (that I didn't already have around) were the plastic tubing, tubing holders and the 90 degree elbow. The magnets are even recycled. They come from the toothbrush part of my Sonic electric toothbrush and I must have 40 of them that I've collected over the years.

Stevan this is what I do for dust collection on my EX. The EX comes with dust collection but small pieces clog it up and the noise is really loud. This works pretty good but every time I see a post on dust collection I read it hoping I might get a better idea for my saw.

4xZUsg7.jpg

I bought a Fein Turbo II vacuum. It is great for dust collection and very quiet. I have it hooked up under my EX21 and it does a great job. And it's very quiet. I used to have a shop vac hooked up to a cyclone. That worked very well also, but very noisy. Not to mention a bigger foot print. The Fein was a bit spendy, but well worth it. I highly suggest it.

To dust or not to dust ,Looks like you have that covered

Hi Steven, Very nice system you have. Looks like it should work well. Is your Hawk a 16"? It looks very much like mine which is 16" Do you set the tension at the rear? Mine does not have the quick blade release at the front. Yours appears the same. Since it is a 16" saw it is only a short reach to set the tension. Can't imagine reaching on a 20" or 26" unless one has super long arms. :razz: