From Tunnel to Trestle

Frank Pellow

(part 1 of 4)   Note that I still cannot embed photos on this forum (and this forum only) in-line so am resorting to using 4 parts for this post in order to simulate the effect of in-line photos.

I completed work on Kris Mortinson’s ‘Train on Trestle’ pattern this week. I’m entitling mine ‘From Tunnel to Trestle (on the White Pass and Yukon Railway)’.

post-28738-0-05047800-1488771908_thumb.jpg

(part 2 of 4)

I’m certain that this is the site even though Kris did not respond to my question when I asked him about it. Margaret and I were at that site in 2002 and here is a photo that I took at that time. It’s not nearly as nice a train that we were on but I know that it is the same place.

post-28738-0-19102100-1488772064_thumb.jpg

Edited by Frank Pellow

(part 3 of 4)

The work was cut from 5mm thick white oak veneer then mounted on the same material stained black. After mounting and cleanup, two coats of clear satin polyurethane were applied.

The size of the foreground panel is 26cm by 20cm.

The frame is of the Rosseter-Pellow design and was cut from one quarter-sawn oak board.  Many coats of polymerized Tung oil were applied to the frame.

The piece is now hanging just about another one designed by Kris is my office.

I call that part of the wall `Structures in Art by Frank and Bruce Pellow`. My brother Bruce (now deceased) drew the barn to the right in ink about 40 years ago. I`m attempting to obtain some other additional pieces that Bruce drew and, of course, I will continue to create new scroll-saw pieces.

post-28738-0-00042800-1488772558_thumb.jpg

Edited by Frank Pellow

(part 4 of 4)

Now that I am placing my patterns on top of masking tape, it makes the pattern more difficult to remove. The end result is worth it but the process is tedious. It took me about an hour to remove the pattern from this piece. The little Scrigitâ„¢ Scraper that I purchased from Lee Valley (ctlg number 09A05.52), and which appears near the bottom right of the photo below, made the job do-able. I don`t know what I would have done without it.

post-28738-0-04561600-1488772722_thumb.jpg

Edited by Frank Pellow

Really a great job on that picture and the fact that you may been to the site, really gives it more meaning to you.

For removing the tape/pattern from the wood, this if the best tool I have found for me.  X-acto blade #18.  The best place I have found to buy them is "topnotchartsupply" on Ebay.  Best price and service.

x-acto%20blade.jpg

The only way I have been able to get photos placed in a post where I want them is to upload them to a photo storage site (I use photobucket) and put the link to the photo where I want the picture to appear.

Edited by Scrappile

(part 1 of 4)   Note that I still cannot embed photos on this forum (and this forum only) in-line so am resorting to using 4 parts for this post in order to simulate the effect of in-line photos.

I completed work on Kris Mortinson’s ‘Train on Trestle’ pattern this week. I’m entitling mine ‘From Tunnel to Trestle (on the White Pass and Yukon Railway)’.

well done sir.

(part 2 of 4)

I’m certain that this is the site even though Kris did not respond to my question when I asked him about it. Margaret and I were at that site in 2002 and here is a photo that I took at that time. It’s not nearly as nice a train that we were on but I know that it is the same place.

Great memories and with cut wood to show it.

(part 3 of 4)

The work was cut from 5mm thick white oak veneer then mounted on the same material stained black. After mounting and cleanup, two coats of clear satin polyurethane were applied.

The size of the foreground panel is 26cm by 20cm.

The frame is of the Rosseter-Pellow design and was cut from one quarter-sawn oak board.  Many coats of polymerized Tung oil were applied to the frame.

The piece is now hanging just about another one designed by Kris is my office.

I call that part of the wall `Structures in Art by Frank and Bruce Pellow`. My brother Bruce (now deceased) drew the barn to the right in ink about 40 years ago. I`m attempting to obtain some other additional pieces that Bruce drew and, of course, I will continue to create new scroll-saw pieces.

Brother Bruce had skills of his own that left an impression on you too.Very nice conversation piece wall of fame you've done. Thanks for showing us.

(part 4 of 4)

Now that I am placing my patterns on top of masking tape, it makes the pattern more difficult to remove. The end result is worth it but the process is tedious. It took me about an hour to remove the pattern from this piece. The little Scrigitâ„¢ Scraper that I purchased from Lee Valley (ctlg number 09A05.52), and which appears near the bottom right of the photo below, made the job do-able. I don`t know what I would have done without it.