Horse Drawn Fire Engine Clocks - Finally Finished!!

RangerJay

It is a great pleasure to see such a beauty!

My goodness. I went to your web sight and looked at your awesome work. You are what I would have to call a 'puzzle wizard'. Your puzzle work is like nothing I have ever seen anywhere else. You are one ambitious person, indeed. I am  so glad that you are a member of The Village because of you joining us here, it has given me the privilage of seeing the unbelievable talent that I have seen nowhere else before... Thank you for the great inspiration you have given to me to be a lot more of a scroller than I am  today.. 

Dick

heppnerguy

Well - it's been a long haul - but after a couple surgeries - and one major blunder that meant the wheels had to be done over again - these clocks are finally done .....

These are a few better pictures than the ones I posted along the way.

Couple things you might be interested in:

• the plan is from Cherry Tree Wildwood:  http://cherrytreetoys.com/fire-engine-clock-plan/  - I've sent them a note asking who the pattern-maker is.
  • the horses and harnesses are from Kulp Model Horse Store: http://kulpmodelhorsestore.com/ - this particular harness is a Parade Harness.
  • the plans called for a Fire Bell - but I couldn't find one I liked so I opted for the lanterns - purchased off of Etsy.
  • my wife did the upholstery and acted as Supervisor in Chief.
  • the carriage is made of Walnut, the undercarriage is Red Oak and the Pump Box is Black Oak.
  • the "blunder"? - well - it's not really a good idea to cross the grain when laminating two flat pieces of wood - not sure why but it seemed like a good idea at the time - turned the wheels into real nice pretzels as the shop dried out this past fall ...... seems to me I recall that very basic lesson being taught to me some 40 or more years ago .....

Comments welcome.

Thanks,

Jay

Jay,

The folks here said every compliment to be said.

Just absolutely great work.

Thank you for sharing.

WOW

I had mentioned in the opening post that a note had gone off to Cherry Tree for information on the pattern-maker - the reply came a couple days ago and unfortunately they do not have that information. 

At least for myself it seems unfortunate that the name of the pattern-maker doesn't stick with the patterns.  For those exceptional one-of-a-kind patterns that will always stand the test of time it seems just plain common sense to respect the efforts of the pattern-maker by acknowledging their contribution.  For myself I have always like to document a bit of a story around the creation of one of those special pieces of work.  In an earlier thread Rolf had wondered if this pattern might be the work of John Nelson or Dirk Boelmen - if someone out there is able to confirm this then my own little story behind these clocks will be complete.

And thanks again for all the kind comments.

Jay

Congratulations on one super looking work.  Beautiful, that came out awesome.  Love all the detail in it.  The seat covers really help set it off.  The horse and harness fit it perfectly and they all seem to be the correct size to stay in proportion to everything.  Thank you for the information on the sources for the parts and patterns.  Also glad to see the surgeries didn't stop you from finishing it.

jim

penquin