New Scroll Saw

I just received a brand new DeWalt scroll saw and am very upset. The darn thing vibrates and knocks if you go over halfway on speed. If it was not bolted down it would walk across the room. Also the table still tilts a little back and forth even tho the knob is very tight  Has anyone else had trouble with there DW788. Is there anyone in the Glendale,AZ area that could help me to decide to keep it or send it back. Had to wait since February to have it shipped on a slow boat from China.

Have done that. Blade is tight but will go back and crank it down tighter. Been running it at 2 on the scale but will go out and try again.  A lined the table with a 45 scale but it will not stay it wobbled left and right with very little pressure on one side or the other.

and the knob is as tight as i can get it.

You don't want to be an unhappy scroller, so I would recomend sending it back.  I realize it's hard to do something like that, but, you may be better off.  You don't want to be working on it all the time. Right now, you just can't use it. I would start over.  Be patient & let them know you are not happy with the product at all. I just can't believe the products they are putting out today, and expensive as they are too. Good Luck

I agree.  Nothing will ruin a hobby faster than a tool that won't fit your needs.  I'd send it back and see what they can do with it.  Maybe it got knocked or dropped during transit.  Hopefully they can get you squared away.  If not, I bet you can find a DeWalt locally for a decent price.

old guy 76.  I've been lurking on this site for a while.  Time to post.  I saved for a new dewalt 788 and the first one started knocking two days after using it.  Took it to the Dewalt repair center they had it for a week.  It ran for three days and started knocking again.  Took it back and they gave me a new one.  This one had the same problem as yours the table rocks no matter how tight you make it, also the front ot back blade movement was 1/8 of an inch front to back.  Took it back and they said it was the nature of the beast and could not fix it and for me to live with it. I got my money back and splurged on an excalibur 16 inch.  Its like night and day no front to back movement and so quiet I can turn on a radio.  AT one time Dewalt used to mean quality now it means made in China.

• 2 weeks later...

I started with a Dewalt 788. Used it for about 3 years. Never had a problem. Sounds like you have a factory problem with the interior arms not adjusted correctly. I upgraded to Excalibur 21 and this machine is much superior in what it can do. It's a bit more pricey but can do more things. I would not attempt to do things I can do now if I still had the 788. You now have a horizontal surface all the time and it's great for accurate angle cutting, especially if you want to make wooden bowls. With a slanted table, it's impossible to do nice intricate work. You'll love your Excalibur!

Whoa! I forgot that  you tilt the arm instead of the table on the EX. Now I need to save for one.. LOL I make a lot of bowls. Oh well I do pretty well with my DW 788.. Just got done making a table insert for our umbrella table in the patio. The table have a few knicks where the umbrella goes so I made a little insert for protection. fits like a glove!  So Mr. Fox was a great help on that as he loaned me his old insert.. Fox is my old scroll saw still waiting to be fixed for a back up saw. The el cheapo served me well for about 6 months and then conked out but I think it is just a tune up issue and new motor brushes and the like.   Hope you can get your saw either fixed or replaced. Good luck...  Fay