Running Antelope

Scrappile

I just finished cutting this last night.  It is the second in a series of Native American portraits I hope to do.  The pattern was done by Seyit.  This is the most detailed pattern I have tried to date.  It is also the first one I have tried doing with spiral blades.  I am very glad I got brave and gave them a try.  I love them.  I learned they do not last as long as a regular blade.  It took me 8 or so blades to complete this portrait.  I used Flying Dutchman spirals, #3 and #`1.  

Comments and critic welcome.

IMG_2414650.jpg

post-22608-0-52279500-1411651927_thumb.jpg

Excellent job ,The main reason for the shorter life is they are always cutting on three sides at the same time ,reguardless which way you are pushing ,The more you use them the better you will like them ,tight tension a must,due to the extra constant cutting area of the blade (the half circle ,if you will ) the tend to heat up and stretch slightly reducing the tension ,a minor adjustment and getting the feel of differing push points via direction employed will help extend life of blade and improve control  ,slower feed reduces blade flex by allowing clearance of extra cutting dust created by 1/2 round cut plane ,same number of teeth just in rotated positions ,also reduces greatly fuzz common with spirals , so your are actually getting a courser cut  due to the separation caused by the twist ,slow steady and smooth are very helpful ,when using a spiral ,this accounts for most peoples dislike for the spiral ,any metal twisted or round flexes quicker and easier than any flat blade ,so speed and pressure need to be less with a spiral .I love them for this type of project .easy smooth sliding on a super slick table helps you control everything .plus the is no substatute for practice and use . They will spoil you ,not needing all the high speed fast hair pin  turns .Mush more relaxing job as you master differences .Also the thicker the project the more critical  the heat and the flex become . piece of cake !! It's hard to remember at first ,the dramatic difference caused by separating the teeth by the twisting of a standard to form a spiral ,and the loss of tpi in all directions .Having to make that adjustment ,seems hard for many ,you seem to have mastered it quite well ! I hope this will help some who are having trouble .

P.S. when I started typing this ,there were no comments ,shows you ,what  a P poor and slow writer I am !

Edited by Multifasited

I used two spirals to complete a 16"x20" lords prayer. in spruce i think it was 3/4 thick.You have masterd the spirals .Good for vyou i'm proud of anybody  that takes a little time to listen to the info on using them . Slow and extra tight blade no hurry, enjoy what you're doing!Wonderful job here sir!Your are now a spiralist!!!! :cool:

Fantastic is the first word that comes to mind A very good job on a great pattern I feel sorry for people not willing to learn to work with spirals, now that you have mastered and its obvious you have, there is just no limit to whats available for you to cut. I use spirals almost all the time and find on my DW788 the best speed is around 4 not sure what you use for saw but just to give you some idea.

Congratulations on a great piece.

.../Hans