Top Feeding vs Bottom Feeding

Travis

Great to know we have the options and some conditions may allow for change .others won't !! Saw mounting on bench ,degree of table tilt forward , space ,seating or standing  ,we all try different things for different reasons most settle in on what works best for them ,doesn't make it right or wrong just what seems to work best for them in their situation . Thanks for the options and reasoning !! Tension ,now that is universal no matter how you install the blade .JMHO

So this is what I'm hearing:

If the top arm CAN be lifted, that is a top feeding scroll saw.

If the top arm CAN'T be lifted, that is a bottom feeding scroll saw.

Can I assume that if it's a top feeding scroll saw, you can either feed the blade from the top OR from the bottom?

NO!  If the arm lifts, you can feed either way.

To me the only other thing that determines the way you feed is the design of the bottom clamp.

Read Scrappile's  post.  Exactly right!!!

"

I think the answer is if the top arm lifts up it can be a "top" or "bottom" feeder as long as it has "quick" clamps in both top and bottom.

Edited by LarryEA

OK.  The reason I'm asking is because some saws advertise specifically the fact they are top feeding saws.  I needed to know the difference in the manufacturing.  I'm trying to put together a scroll saw buyer's guide/review section and I need accurate information.

Thanks for your help, everybody!  :thumbs:

Got to be preference.  I bottom feed because I can't line the feed hole up with the table hole when I try to top feed.  Causes me to bend blades.  This in spite of the fact I think top feed makes more sense. 

Shirts should be buttoned from the top down, no arguement.  If you start at the top, work down, your hands are down  at the bottom so you can tuck the shirt in.  duh!  ;)

But if yer like me and don't tuck yer shirt in it don't really matter but it does help to look in a mirror ----- HMmmmmm maybe i could use a mirror to see the bottom clamp ??????

sully

I have no plans to change ,Mostly I think it's a discussion ,Started by a question about saw's advertised as top loading capable ,and what makes the difference , Non-fixed or floating upper arm ,to provide clearance to leave blade fixed in the upper arm for extraction and re-entry from the top .Mine has it but I still have my reasons for bottom loading .Thats important MY REASONS and YOUR REASONS . I comb the hair on my frog different than some SO WHAT he's my frog !! He has no plans to enter a beauty contest that I am aware of ,or a look alike compation !!

Well, good luck all you top feeders, I probably would never hit the hole in the table, let alone clamp it in the bottom clamp. I can blind feed the blade up from the bottom easier, without lifting the work piece very high. Just move from cut over to the next hole. Sounds easy, but, you have to practice. I did anyway.  Good Luck

With threading the blade from the top down i have big problems trying to get the blade straight with wood on it, keeping it from being straight  .Having the blade locked and loaded in the bottom already i don't have to blindly try to do that.I'd just as soon deal with what i can see on top of the scrollsaw table and can also slide the wood easyer to keep the blade straight before i lock it in place.