Scroll Saw Blade Survey...

LarryEA

What blade(s) do you (primarily) use the most?

I have about 20 different blades in stock.

I use both Olsen and Flying Dutchman

I don't understand the numbering system of blades: IE #1, #2, #3, #4, #5 since #1's and #2's could be the same size...  Both could be .026" x .013" dimensions...

The blades I use are Smallest to Largest:

.002" x .008" x 33TPI  (Rare use)

.024" x .010" x 30TPI  (Rare use) 

.026" x .011" x ??TPI  (Often used)

.029" x .013" x ??TPI  (Often used)

.033" x .015" x ??TPI  (Largest blade I use) 

I like this post.. I have found that I find the ultimate blade for me and then just when I am happy with it, I end up using something different, Maybe to speed up or to slow down the aggressiveness of my blade. so after several years of scrolling, I find I am still experimenting with my blades.. What the heck? I must be the slowest learner on this planet. Oh, well, I am having fun and that is the very most important part for me.. and I am selling more than the amount I want to, without even trying.

Dick

heppnerguy

I am still new to scrolling and am using Skil blades in 15tpi but I an just doing very basic outside cuts.

As I advance is there truly a difference in FD or Olsen blades or just personal preference?

I understand you get what you pay for,

Thank You

Mark

15TPI is a little agressive. As for FD or Olsen, I lean toward Olsen but like FD also.

I think there is a majority here that leans to FD blades.

As for,'you get what you pay for.', Olsen & FD run about $2.50 a dozen... thats a reasonably cheap price...today.

• 2 weeks later...

So I ordered the FD pack with a variety of different blades. I ordered two types Spiral and reverse. Both came with a #12. What types of wood does one use this blade for?

Cutting 2" logs in to lumber...lol  

Actually I would think #12's are for cutting corian or plastic. Thick hard wood.

Just got my order of Flying Dutchman's in the mail yesterday. So far the only blade I have tried is the #3 ultra reverse. Wow these suckers are sharp and it was very easy to follow the lines on the pattern. There wasn't any drift or wondering like there was with the Olson #5 reverse blades. Just from what Iv'e seen with the one blade so far I'm sold. Definitely going to order more in the future

I learn a lot here when we do these kinds of threads. My preference is mostly spiral FD, 2/0 & 3/0 & then for straight line cutting, I use the Silver Rev. or Ultra reverse. I don't care to use a reverse spiral, as they are too aggressive & lots of build up of dust. The finer the better. I do use some larger spirals, when I have a large area that I am cutting. Keep up these great threads, I like it.  Take Care All.