A real great seller here in Texas.

Jim Finn

I do inlaid images in cedar and, when finished, I have the cut outs that are not used.  I have been selling them very cheaply, and giving them away for years. Last month a customer suggested I use the cutouts of Texas as coasters so I tried it.  Sold out in a heart beat. 

I have since made and sold over 250 of them.  I sell them four for $5.  A great price point at the farmers market. Some of them are 3/8" thick and others are less than 1/4".  Thickness seems to not matter to the buyers.

I am now making some of scrap 1/4" plywood.  I ran out of my whole scrap horde of various other woods, making them.

I stack cut them and dip them in Poly a few coats and then a spray finish of poly.

Attached is a photo of some I made of a mystery wood I had.  It may be cherry.

post-2247-0-09702300-1475414837_thumb.jpg

Some shape other than your state may work.  I don't know....hearts? Stars? chrtistmas trees? church  shape? Paw print? etc..........

States that do have distinctive shapes that may work for this are: Florida, Wisconsin, Illinois, Kentucky, Minnesota, Idaho, and even Oklahoma.

Edited by Jim Finn

Jim, you could probably cut out horse ears and they would sell like crazy. I think it is impossible for your to make a non seller item. Your work always is done so well and you are defiantly the craft sales master. Thanks for sharing your idea. I am off to make Texas coasters. WAIT. I don't think they would sell very well in Oregon.

Jim, you could probably cut out horse ears and they would sell like crazy. I think it is impossible for your to make a non seller item. Your work always is done so well and you are defiantly the craft sales master. Thanks for sharing your idea. I am off to make Texas coasters. WAIT. I don't think they would sell very well in Oregon.

Saturday, a lady that had bought a set of coasters came back and bought fifteen more sets. ($75) She is from Colorado and wants to give them to friends and relatives in Colorado to remind them of her visit here.

I have made "no seller" items but at a higher price point.  Here is an example of vases that I could not sell for $40.  Gave away three of them finally.  I thought sure they would sell but  not to be.

post-2247-0-73442000-1475495738_thumb.jpg

Saturday, a lady that had bought a set of coasters came back and bought fifteen more sets. ($75) She is from Colorado and wants to give them to friends and relatives in Colorado to remind them of her visit here.

I have made "no seller" items but at a higher price point.  Here is an example of vases that I could not sell for $40.  Gave away three of them finally.  I thought sure they would sell but  not to be.

attachicon.gifVase, oak.jpg

I can believe they did not sell. All your work is so nice. I talk to others about your wonderful boxes and how well  you do with this craft.

I can not believe how you just seem to have a hidden knowledge of what others will want

Dick

heppnerguy