I now use Masking Tape before glue

Frank Pellow

Until two days ago, I was fairly happy (in my ignorance)  with applying 3M spray glue onto the back of a pattern then sticking that pattern directly to the wood.  Once I had finished cutting, I applied a solvent such as turpentine or varsol  then pealed off the pattern.  Then I cleaned up the remaining glue with the solvent.  Cleanup was usually a bit tedious but it worked.

Then, two days ago, a broke a piece by rubbing too vigorously during clean up.  The piece had taken me about three hours to cut and I broke it so that it was beyond repair. :grr: 

I had read about folks using blue masking tape on the wood then gluing the pattern to the tape covered wood.  This incident got me to finally getting around to trying it.  In the attached photo I have applied the tape to the oak veneer that I am about to cut.  Then, I glued on the Whiskey Jack pattern. 

I finished cutting the pattern earlier this evening.  The remaining tape and pattern came off very easily and there was no cleanup. :)

I wish I had paid attention and started doing this along time ago, but BETTER LATE THAN NEVER. :oops:

post-28738-0-56822200-1479524706_thumb.jpg

I used blue tape once.  It took me forever to peel off all those little tiny pieces afterward.  And in my opinion it dulled my blades faster.  And it seemed like the was more lift up of the pattern.  I may try it again if I'm cutting something that doesn't have a lot of small areas to remove it from, but for now I'll stick with gluing directly to the wood.

I started out using blue painters tape and could see that I might break something so I quit using it now I have to get the left over glue off. I am now thinking about going back to tape and heating it up with a heat gun "not to hot" to help remove the tape. I will test this out today. Bottom line is I am undecided.   :shock:

I usually use blue masking tape also. Last night, being absent minded, I glued Birchbark's "Peace" pattern directly to 1" walnut. Oh crap, I thought. So I put clear packing tape over the pattern. Not a fan of it but what the heck. Yes, I could've just taken the pattern off, but had already started to drill entry holes

The thing about blue tape or any tape for that matter, the longer you leave it on the wood the more harder it gets to peel off. If you start a project and do not get back to it for a few weeks then it may be a little harder to peel off. I too use the green or even purple tape if the project has many delicate pieces which is rare. I use to use a heat gun when I glued the pattern directly on the wood. Yes it worked but it was still a pain. Had to always wipe down the piece afterward with acetone. Now just a bit of sanding and ready to go. I have to sand the piece anyway to rid of the fuzzies. 

Back in the day there were many people who would use shelving paper (sticky backed) for the under the pattern. Maybe something to try for some. I never did try it but people talked about it. 

Well I have been testing and I didn't come up with much. I had two pieces of 1/2" oak that has had tape on it for maybe two months. They were scrap. I heated one piece up and didn't do anything to the other. The one that I put the heat to came off easier than the one with no heat. There was no adhesive left on either piece. I also put tape on 1/4" walnut, pine, and ply and got the same results. The heat does help with getting the tape off but I still believe you might break off small pieces. I should also say I am using the blue painters tape with "Edge Lock". I think the product number is "2093EL".

What I have found is all painters tapes are not created equally.   I bought a  bargain brand once and only once.   Since then I have used only good quality brands with good success.   The best feature of painters tape for me is off with the tape on with the finish no waiting for the paint thinner or mineral spirits to dry. 

Another thing I have discovered is a heat gun or hand held hairdryer works great to loosen tape or labels that are hard to remove. 

Edited by stoney

I use blue or green tape all the time and if I have a piece left on something, I use a dental pick to lift the tape cleanly.  

And I have never had a problem getting tape off stuff after long periods of storage. On rare pieces, it does seem to slightly raise the grain if the tape and grain run in same direction.

I thank everyone who responded in this thread and will certainly refer back to all the good advice offered should I run into any problems with my use of the blue masking tape.  By the way, the tape that I am using is made by 3M and is called 'Scotch Blue Painters Tape.#2090.  It is recommended that the tape not be left on for more than 14 days.

This morning I carefully removed the pattern and the tape from the Whiskey Jack pattern that was shown about to be attached in the photo that started this thread.  The oak veneer that the pattern was cut out of has little or no internal strength and I had to be very aware of long "peninsulas" such as the one pointed to with the orange arrow in the attached photo. 

It took me about five minutes to remove the pattern and tape and I consider that to be time well spent.  I now have a clean piece with no reside that I can detect. :)

post-28738-0-96664600-1479657124_thumb.jpg

Frank, I believe you made the right move by using the tape. yes it may take a little longer to remove all the little piece but you are going to have to do that anyway if you just sprayed the pattern on. This way you have a clean look and do not have to scrub it down. I use an exacto knife to pick the pieces because of the point on the blade and I do it all the time. I bought that 3m tape at a yard sale from a retired painter and he had about 50 rolls all different sizes. So I am set for many projects. :) Nice work on that project. 

John (JTTHECLOCKMAN), thanks for the suggestion of the exacto knife.  I was using my finger nails, but use of an exacto knife would be both more accurate and faster.

Yea I learned that one quickly because I started using my fingernail also and then I had all these little pieces of tape stuck to my fingers and I spent even more time picking them off my hands.