Hi Don:

Some use packing tape and some use painters tape

And some don't use any tape at all

The packing tape sometimes pulls small pieces of the top layer off the wood

as your peeling it off.

I don't believe the painters tape does that

So as above the answer to your question is "YES"

Fab4

I say the answer to your question is yes and no. I am not a fan of using packing tape especially under a pattern. I believe it pulls off in smaller pieces than blue painters tape. Some use packing tape on top of the pattern. There are many ways people use tape or do not use tape. You can develop your own method for there is not right or wrong way. give things a try and decide for yourself what you feel is a nice easy clean way of doing it. Good luck and happy scrolling. 

Painters tape on the wood has caused less problems for me than packing tape...Just my two cents.

I used some packing tape on top of the pattern to see if it would lube the blade and it might. Some say it makes a world of difference. In another thread we have been discussing painters tape and I am just trying to find what will work best for me. I think I am going to try some painters tape that doesn't stick as good. Not sure what that is going to be though.

I do use packing. I apply it on top of the pattern. It does lubricate the blade and helps eliminate burning and produces a smoother cut finish. If I'm cutting a thick, hard wood, I will even apply it to the bottom of the wood, with a blank sheet of paper between the board and tape. It really does work for me!

Some complain about glare from over head lights. I don't have that problem as I use a magnifier with a florecent bulb. Others complain that it's hard to remove the pattern and tape. It's easy to remove with a heat gun, or a spritz of mineral spirits in a spray bottle.

I'm not trying to change anybody's mind about what to use, just explaining what works for me!

I have always used packaging tape for the lubricating qualities of the glue to cool the blade which tends to make them stay sharper and last longer.   Depending on the brand and quality some packaging tape can have to much tackiness to apply directly to the wood and be very difficult to remove.   As a result may remove wood fibers.   I primarily use packaging tape when cutting hardwoods such as oak, cherry, hard maple etc.   When I use packaging tape it is always applied over the pattern.    

Just a note about packing tape and other tapes used for the lubricating value of it. It is not the tape or the glue that is the lubricating factor, it is the product that is put on top of the tape to allow the layers to unroll. If this product and I do not know what the chemical make-up is and each company may have their own formula, was not on the top of the tape the tape would stick too well to itself and not be able to unroll. Different brand tapes may work better than others for this because of this chemical additive. 

It is always amazing how these topics are still alive as the next generation of scrollers appear on the scene. I remember talking about these same topics some 20 years ago. :) 

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

I found that packing tape breaks into tiny pieces and is hard to remove from the wood. It is also clear so harder to see if you missed some until part way through finishing.  Because of this I switched to using painters tape on the wood and glue the pattern to that. 

I do cover my pattern with packing tape before I drill the holes and start cutting. I like the way it cuts and feels. I do it mostly out of habit but it works for me, and keeps me happy. 

I always put package tape on the wood first because I stack cut and the tape holds everything together. I stick the pattern to the tape. I tried putting tape over the top of the pattern but there was too much glare from the light and it made it harder the see where I was cutting. I have cut some very delicate patterns and never had a problem getting the tape off and never broke anything.