Just finished moving my saw inside....

Casey Jourdan

Let's see how long it takes for my husband to notice!  :rofl:

It's just too cold in the garage. I can heat our garage, but I hate doing that since we live on propane tanks and it's still never really a comfortable temperature in there.... So saw is now in the cat/craft room, shop vac set up right next to it, and a window fan to exhaust out dust. I plan to vacuum up every 30 minutes like Sheila Landry does. We'll see how it goes.

Do you saw inside?

post-28784-0-43875600-1480611273_thumb.jpg

Mrs Slasher (the Queen of Clean) would throw me and my saw out of the house. Of course I have the opposite problem. It's the summers with no air conditioner in the the garage that is the problem.

I think I get a pass since I'm the one that cleans the house  :D  But I'm sure he'll still say something...  There were some loooong hot days this summer too, a/c would/will be great if he let's the saw stay.

If the dust becomes problematic, there are other mediums that don't have floating dust.  I have had one of my scroll saws in the house for a few years and it is right in the living room,  Since I primarily cut metal, which just fall straight to the floor, no dust.  Also no dust with plastics, and many other things.

your right about the metal dust ,i loved cutting in A.C.in the summe

If the dust becomes problematic, there are other mediums that don't have floating dust.  I have had one of my scroll saws in the house for a few years and it is right in the living room,  Since I primarily cut metal, which just fall straight to the floor, no dust.  Also no dust with plastics, and many other things.ght about the metal dust ,i loved cutting in A.C.in the summe

Let's see how long it takes for my husband to notice!  :rofl:

It's just too cold in the garage. I can heat our garage, but I hate doing that since we live on propane tanks and it's still never really a comfortable temperature in there.... So saw is now in the cat/craft room, shop vac set up right next to it, and a window fan to exhaust out dust. I plan to vacuum up every 30 minutes like Sheila Landry does. We'll see how it goes.

Do you saw inside?

run that vacuum out side and get a longer hose .a swimming pool vacuum hose works great 25' for$25 at the big box store

No garage here and a pretty small house so half of my dining room is my work area.  There really is no convenient way to catch all of the dust flying around.  My daughter that's still at home has Aspberger's (Autism) and gets pretty distressed when I run the shop vac.  My husband has COPD and the dust bothers him a little so it seems like I spend more time dusting and running the regular vacuum than I do actually sawing.

I agree with Jerry, as long as he can get to the fridge and watch football you could scroll on the dining table.

I also have a plan like Sheila. I vacuum every 3 to 4 months and sometimes more often.

My shop is in the basement. I have dust collection and pretty much contain the dust in a small area.

Good luck Casey.

If you end up moving back into the garage, I have a similar situation, very hot during the summer so I built a "room" and I used a portable AC unit.  It's not perfect, but it does make it tolerable for cutting.  You could also heat the space with a small space heater during the winter.

Here's what I shared a couple of months ago.

http://www.scrollsawvillage.com/topic/21427-new-cutting-room/

Good luck Casey.

If you end up moving back into the garage, I have a similar situation, very hot during the summer so I built a "room" and I used a portable AC unit.  It's not perfect, but it does make it tolerable for cutting.  You could also heat the space with a small space heater during the winter.

Here's what I shared a couple of months ago.

http://www.scrollsawvillage.com/topic/21427-new-cutting-room/

That's a neat idea. Will have to keep that in mind if I get voted out of the house

Whelp.... 3 days. The saw is going back to the garage (though he's trying to get me a better heating situation) and AND guess what I got for Christmas?! The Dewalt 788!!! No more Porter Cable for this kid! New saw might be worth the trade off of being back in the garage.

EDIT: I spoke to soon! We negotiated leaving the saw inside a while longer. But if I don't stay on top of the dust out it goes. Fair enough!

Edited by CaseyJ