AIR CLEANER/PURIFICATION Recommendations

Sam777

I have an older single speed from Penn State Industries many years ago. Jet I think makes for them now. Really no need for 3 speeds but seems that is the way they come these days. I put in on in my shop as soon as I enter and turn it off 1 hour after I leave. The remote control again to me is a joke. Mine is on a switched outlet, I was thinking of putting it on a timer but have not really gotten there yet. they are a must if you have a full blow work shop and use tablesaws and planers and sanders. They will catch that small particle dust that just lingers in the air. You are not going to be turning it on and off while you are in the shop. If you are cutting and making dust in the shop you turn it on and as I said leave it run for awhile after you leave.  They have a pre filter and a 1 micron filter that needs to be replaced every so often so if you get one it is a good idea to have that filter for a spare. Depending how much work you do in the shop will determine how long it lasts. I have a full blown shop so I probably replace every 2 years. But I do a quick vac of it in between. It is pleated so you will not be able to get into it, just the edges. All are about the same.  

By the way by no means does that take the place of a dust collector or even a dust mask so do not think that way. It is just another layer of safety to let you enjoy the hobby safely. 

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

I have a Grizzly, ceiling hung, air cleaner that has a simple pre-filter and a bag filter.  Both filters are washable.  I like mine. According to the  manual this filter/fan it will clean the air in my shop in six minutes and it does.  I paid $175 for it in 2007.

Thank you Jim,

I am still waiting for members who actually have one of these to chime in :)

thanks again

sam

Hi all,

I searched the forum for this topic but got no where.

I am considering one of these air cleaners. I have a 6 x 10 x 7 high work room.

Anyone has this type of air cleaners.

Please see pictures.

Thank you

Sam

attachicon.gifPOWERTEC Air Purification system.JPG

attachicon.gifWEN Air Filtration system.JPG

attachicon.gifShop Fox Air Cleaner.JPG

Here is the same air cleaner as the Shop Fox your looking at for $188.94 shipped and more than likely no sales tax.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Hanging-Air-Filter-3-Speed/G0738?utm_campaign=zPage&utm_source=grizzly.com

Here is another one even cheaper that would work good in your small shop.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Benchtop-Dual-Fan-Dust-Filter/G9955?utm_campaign=zPage&utm_source=grizzly.com

Sorry I have a jet same looks and is in the ceiling where I put it up myself about 10 years ago but was heavy. It just this winter stopped working suddenly. I looked at the usual things that they talked of on the net and it was none of that. The blower was fine but I think the mother board was shot and decided to remove wire up different and is not not 3 speed and does not have a timer but it has a new switch and you can pull the little string and it runs until you shut it off. I like the prices better on the ones you are looking at. My Jet is in the 2 car garage with a car but seems to keep the dust down. I do wear a mask, and use a jet dust collector as well.

Here is the same air cleaner as the Shop Fox your looking at for $188.94 shipped and more than likely no sales tax.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Hanging-Air-Filter-3-Speed/G0738?utm_campaign=zPage&utm_source=grizzly.com

Here is another one even cheaper that would work good in your small shop.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Benchtop-Dual-Fan-Dust-Filter/G9955?utm_campaign=zPage&utm_source=grizzly.com

These Grizzly ones cannot ship to California for the current regulations (whatever that is). Stupid California Regulations :(

"PLEASE NOTE: This product cannot ship to California due to current state regulations."

I have a jet onthe ceiling also with 3 speeds and good filters and it workswell, you might also consider a dust deputy to hook up to your shop vac, they really suck the dust and another tip,get a 20 inch box fan and put a good furnace filter on the back side of it and have that backside behind your scroll saw, they help pick up a lot of dust.

Bill

I have  a Shop-Vac air cleaner, Have had it since christmas used it once and it seems to be doing a good job still too early to tell, it is built for a small wood shop  when you turn it on with dust in the air  you can see the dust being sucked into the cleaner. It is portable and can be used any where that there is electric. the cost was $135, as I said i have only used it twice since I got it due to the weather here I do not have heat in my shop.

IKE

I have a jet onthe ceiling also with 3 speeds and good filters and it workswell, you might also consider a dust deputy to hook up to your shop vac, they really suck the dust and another tip,get a 20 inch box fan and put a good furnace filter on the back side of it and have that backside behind your scroll saw, they help pick up a lot of dust.

Bill

I have done the 20 in fan, but I have to get it so close to the scrollsaw that it gets in the way sometimes and I have to keep moving it.

the second one, Wen, "usually ships in one to two months"

really?!

Interesting to me that nothing in the ads, mention a db rating so noise levels between products can be compared

They all are about the same noise level. A lot quieter than a shop vac for sure. I made mine even quieter by lining the inside with some solid foam boards. They work well when you use them. 

I have  a Shop-Vac air cleaner, Have had it since christmas used it once and it seems to be doing a good job still too early to tell, it is built for a small wood shop  when you turn it on with dust in the air  you can see the dust being sucked into the cleaner. It is portable and can be used any where that there is electric. the cost was $135, as I said i have only used it twice since I got it due to the weather here I do not have heat in my shop.

IKE

I've got this one showing up tomorrow. Its got good reviews on Amazon, and I think Steve Good reviewed on his blog. I can't wait to try it out.

Edited by lost_in_endicott