Problem with Ryobi scroll saw, not sure what is happening or if its normal.

Dylan Welsh

I bought the $100 Ryobi scroll saw from home depot last month and have not really done anything with it until today. I was practising on an old 1/4" piece of plywood. It started doing this thing where it makes a weird sound like a horse exhaling through its lips and it seems as though the blade speeds up for a second at a time. It seems to do it randomly every 10 to 30 seconds or so. I've searched the internet for a good half-hour now and cant find any info on this issue or if its even a problem. Can anyone give me some advice on this? I'm still really new to this and am not sure what could be causing it. Thanks

Just take it back to Home Depot for a new one. Do not even try to mess with it. Tell them you want a new one and take nothing less. No repairs. Stand your ground if they give you any grief. Talk to a manager and threaten to go higher. They will take care of you. I say this because I am not sure of their warranty policy. Be prepared as I always say.   

Well newbie, it could be a number of things. Are you runnin' with an extension cord? If so, try pluggin' the saw directly into a differnt electric socket. Next, if you can get to the bushings on the motor, make sure they're tight. Next thing, check your bellows. Make sure the bellows aren't leakin', or the line isn't leakin'. 

Make sure your blade is installed correctly. Teeth pointed toward the floor, & enough tension ya get a "ping" sound when you test it. From there, test run the saw w/no cuttin'. Let it set & run idle for a few minutes, adjusting your variable speed fast to slow, & see if you can hear the noise at a certain speed. If you do, my advice would be to call Ryobi FIRST before going back to home depot. They may be able to send you parts to repair it, or tell you what you need to do.

One more thing I'd say, If they tell you to take it back to home depot for replacement, have the manager take the replacement out of the box & run it with a blade installed. If it does the same thing, get your money back & walk away. There are better investments out there. jmo.

Edited by SCROLLSAW703

I got a replacement saw on the 1 year warranty sent to me from the factory (dremil) and that one wore out in 2 months

I bought the $100 Ryobi scroll saw from home depot last month and have not really done anything with it until today. I was practising on an old 1/4" piece of plywood. It started doing this thing where it makes a weird sound like a horse exhaling through its lips and it seems as though the blade speeds up for a second at a time. It seems to do it randomly every 10 to 30 seconds or so. I've searched the internet for a good half-hour now and cant find any info on this issue or if its even a problem. Can anyone give me some advice on this? I'm still really new to this and am not sure what could be causing it. Thanks

I got a replacement saw on the 1 year warranty sent to me from the factory (dremil) and that one wore out in 2 months

Sounds like a speed control issue. Just return it for a "new" saw. Had that problem on my old Porter Cable as well as a my first saw which was a Ryobi. Good luck, HD seems pretty easy to deal with as long as you have your receipt and the box it came in.

I think you are right. I took the side panel off when it started doing it and watched the mechanism with the balancer. It didn't seem to be doing anything abnormal, the saw would just go to full speed at second long pulses. The horse-like sound was the billows I believe at the top just putting out more air. When I put it at full speed it sounds like that. I had it in a power strip but I'm not sure if problems with that could make the saw speed up unless the saw has a bad resistor somewhere. It only started doing it at after about 15 minutes of running. I may just have to return it. I'm thinking of buying a new one and returning it the same day with the old one in the box, just to avoid any bull with the staff there. 

If I return it and look for a new one, what would be a decent reliable saw for under $150? Is ryobi typically a problem brand? 

I had the same problem with my old Delta Q3 before I upgraded.  I never figured out the problem, but I thought it was sawdust and junk getting into the speed control pot or power switch.  

The Q3 had some very strange design ideas like the back of the power switch being open and subject to any sawdust getting in, meaning you had to get the switch out and clean the contacts every so often when it wouldn't switch on.

Hi Dylamn....I had that saw a couple of years ago...I never had that issue

but did have an issue with blade holder.....Because 30 days had passed,they would

not take it back but was going to send it to repair shop .So I would take it back for

replacement if you are in the 30 day range.

I think you are right. I took the side panel off when it started doing it and watched the mechanism with the balancer. It didn't seem to be doing anything abnormal, the saw would just go to full speed at second long pulses. The horse-like sound was the billows I believe at the top just putting out more air. When I put it at full speed it sounds like that. I had it in a power strip but I'm not sure if problems with that could make the saw speed up unless the saw has a bad resistor somewhere. It only started doing it at after about 15 minutes of running. I may just have to return it. I'm thinking of buying a new one and returning it the same day with the old one in the box, just to avoid any bull with the staff there. 

If I return it and look for a new one, what would be a decent reliable saw for under $150? Is ryobi typically a problem brand? 

Any of the "low priced" intro saws are going to have some form of issue, mostly vibration and some of the components made from cheaper metals. The Porter Cable 18" isn't a bad saw for someone beginning. I think they run about $200 at Lowes. You may want to look into craigslist for a cheap used saw to start learning on. Some of the craftsmen I understand are pretty decent. Then if you get addicted to the hobby save your money up or an upgrade. Dewalt makes a good saw and you an find them on craigslist too.  If you have time do some research in your area. You'll learn what to look for etc. If you go used, run it, take some test pieces and blades and try it out. Check for noise, sloppiness and vibrations. Best of luck.

I have a Ryobi that was my first saw for a couple of years..I did have problems with things wearing out quickly but the replacements were readily available, cheep and easy to fix by myself. I finally just got fed up with the continual repairs and bought a DeWalt saw,on line.  I did cut many things with the Ryobi and never had the kind of problems you are describing, I would look at all the above suggestions and make up your mind as to what it is you wish to do. Good luck

Dick

heppnerguy. 

That is exactly the way my ol' trusty DeWalt sounds when I forget to tighten the blade before turning it on. Before returning it I would just make real sure the blade is very tight. When you pluck the blade it should make a high ping. If it is making a thud sound, you aren't getting the tension on the blade tight enough. Good luck.