Rack Em Up

JTTHECLOCKMAN

I hope you understand by now, that the comments on this fabulous piece of work is only starting. This piece is so awesome and unbelievable that it is easy to see that everyone is taken by it. I can not imagine you could have had any competition with a piece like this.. extremely ambition and well done.. I love to see something as nice as this get posted for all to admire

Dick

heppnerguy 

Hate to say this but I squeeked out the win. I won by 4 votes and 2 and 3 had to have a run off because they were tied. 

Hate to say this but I squeeked out the win. I won by 4 votes and 2 and 3 had to have a run off because they were tied. 

That must have been one heck of a great example of skillful work there.. Were you able to take any photos of your competition? It would be interesting to see what you were up against.. 

That must have been one heck of a great example of skillful work there.. Were you able to take any photos of your competition? It would be interesting to see what you were up against.. 

www.penturners.org/forum/f364/2017-pen-box-contest-winners-146299/

www.penturners.org/forum/f380/poll-2017-pen-box-contest-146156/

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

www.penturners.org/forum/f364/2017-pen-box-contest-winners-146299/

www.penturners.org/forum/f380/poll-2017-pen-box-contest-146156/

I checked out the sight....It was a hands down run away by you.. I have to say the 'piece of wood' had some interesting imaginative creation but was a long way off from yours..I would have given that one a second place for imagination.. the deorative box was well done too but the 'imagination' pieces have would have my vote for originality. Thanks for sharing this with me, I enjoyed looking it over

Dick

heppnerguy

I checked out the sight....It was a hands down run away by you.. I have to say the 'piece of wood' had some interesting imaginative creation but was a long way off from yours..I would have given that one a second place for imagination.. the deorative box was well done too but the 'imagination' pieces have would have my vote for originality. Thanks for sharing this with me, I enjoyed looking it over

Dick

heppnerguy

Actually Dick I was sort of surprised too that it was that close. I had a feeling some people just do not realize the work that goes into a piece like this. See we as scrollers understand the time and effort it takes to do some of the woodworking we do and this is why I also believe there is more interest here than most other sites. I had shown the table on other woodworking sites and there too they get it and the interest is higher.  Over the summer i hope to start my next year's project for that contest. I will try to get it done sooner next year so I can enter a few other contests. Won't be able to show it before then because that is part of the rules. Can not be seen on any sites or anywhere on the net before the contest ends. Thanks again for the kind words. 

Not sure what you are speaking of about a relief in a pool ball. If you are talking about drilling the hole for the clock insert in the large pool ball I can show the holder for it if you would like. Other than that you have to explain more and maybe I can explain better. Thanks again

Yes that is what I meant, the jig to hold the pool ball while drilling.

Yes that is what I meant, the jig to hold the pool ball while drilling.

OK Jim here is a few shots. First here is the billiard ball clocks in the finished state as I sell them. Then the bases I make for them.  

I use the 1-7/16" inserts

Then a photo of the  jig to hold them. I made one for use with the drill press and one for use on the lathe. Hope that explains or gives you an idea of how I do it. 

post-1491-0-29197200-1488642823_thumb.jpg

post-1491-0-94617500-1488642922_thumb.jpg

post-1491-0-54236300-1488642974_thumb.jpg

post-1491-0-52151400-1488643003_thumb.jpg

OK Jim here is a few shots. First here is the billiard ball clocks in the finished state as I sell them. Then the bases I make for them.  

I use the 1-7/16" inserts

Then a photo of the  jig to hold them. I made one for use with the drill press and one for use on the lathe. Hope that explains or gives you an idea of how I do it. 

Very ingenious.  I thought of several ways to hold the ball, but none as simple and elegant as yours, thanks so much for sharing.

John,

I have come to the conclusion that you are a genius to figure out everything that you had to overcome to build such an elligent piece. From the pool table box to the pool ball clock... I am floored at all you had to figure out to pull this one off and this is not even talking about the skill level you have also

Dick

heppnerguy

Dick, thanks again for the kind words. No genius here for sure. I have been dabbling in the woodworking field for quite some time. I thank my Dad for teaching me many things over the years as I grew up. Then doing a lot of reading and experimenting has gotten me this far. I respect my tools and do know their limitations as well as my limitations so we try to create things. I have the next year box in my mind. All I have to do is put it to work. have to wait till next year to see that one but I will tell you it will be worth the wait if I can pull it off. In the mean time I have a few other projects that I will be working on and share when done. No contests for them. I do need to make the pens for those projects too along with some other pens I have promised people last year yet. Now that I can get back in the shop I need to take care of these. I also need to work on a few new projects for next years shows so that will keep me busy through the summer.  I am glad that you and many others here liked these projects. I had fun making them.