A Perfect Match?

Iguanadon

It's always great to speak with customers and other vendors when doing events to hear about other potential events in the area.  Last month at a show a customer asked me "Oh I love your dog puzzles, will you be at the dog show in October?"  Dog show? Where? What?

Turns out the local kennel club organizes a dog show that has been running for decades... Holy cow, how perfect for me, I keep trying to research and learn about any events that are dog related and this could be the big one.

I emailed the organizers a couple of days ago with a general query and got a response back last night.  BOOM! 2 day event in October, 500 participants plus a bunch of spectators.  All dog owners and/or dog lovers... This could be great (as long as it doesn't rain, it's outdoors).  I wonder how many orders I'll get to personalize the dogs name in the body instead of the breed...

http://www.hanoverkennelclub.net/2016_show_winners

post-29379-0-29692600-1492261546_thumb.jpg

It's always great to speak with customers and other vendors when doing events to hear about other potential events in the area.  Last month at a show a customer asked me "Oh I love your dog puzzles, will you be at the dog show in October?"  Dog show? Where? What?

Turns out the local kennel club organizes a dog show that has been running for decades... Holy cow, how perfect for me, I keep trying to research and learn about any events that are dog related and this could be the big one.

I emailed the organizers a couple of days ago with a general query and got a response back last night.  BOOM! 2 day event in October, 500 participants plus a bunch of spectators.  All dog owners and/or dog lovers... This could be great (as long as it doesn't rain, it's outdoors).  I wonder how many orders I'll get to personalize the dogs name in the body instead of the breed...

I can see that you are headed for great things. It's to late this year but if you do a show close to Easter I think crosses would sell. If you want the pattern to this one I will send it to you. You can make a puzzle out of it if you want. People are really wanting them around here. Of coarse mine are free and that does make a difference.

CdMIkrP.jpg

I can see that you are headed for great things. It's to late this year but if you do a show close to Easter I think crosses would sell. If you want the pattern to this one I will send it to you. You can make a puzzle out of it if you want. People are really wanting them around here. Of coarse mine are free and that does make a difference.

CdMIkrP.jpg

Ah Yes ,The magic word free, I too give readily 99% of the time .And really appreciate it when some one offers money!

CdMIkrP.jpg

Looks like your struck pay dirt.remember to pacify the customer my friend does $1800 cash a week doing handy man work and is slower than snails.but he has the gift to pacify his customers and keeps getting months of work booked on craigs list with out license one,lol.In fact he's rated #1 in the handyman department ,Go figure.Unbelieveable and at $65.00 an hour ,4 hour minimum.He rakes it in.He changed a flapper in a toilet and got $90.00 buy giving her a break ,a 3 minute job.

Wow, that sure looks like a perfect match. 

Quite a display, very nice, and the new venue sounds like a match made in heaven.  But inquiring minds want to know how in the world do you transport those puzzles without them falling apart and mixing the pieces?  I expect you have more than one in stock of the breed names, same question - what keeps them together?

Jim

Quite a display, very nice, and the new venue sounds like a match made in heaven.  But inquiring minds want to know how in the world do you transport those puzzles without them falling apart and mixing the pieces?  I expect you have more than one in stock of the breed names, same question - what keeps them together?

Jim

Hi Jim,

If you're not aware, I'm new at this, just started making these puzzles last June.  Transporting them was one of the early challenges I had to figure out.  My first attempt failed rather miserably, but then I came up with a simple solution... Using a large, deep tub, I lay them out in layers with cardboard in between.  I can get about 8 or 9 puzzles per layer and about 11 layers high. Right around 100 total.  Those are the ones I put out on display.

My duplicates, I shrink wrap them and load them into a large tub, there are 182 in the tub pictured.  The kids dinosaurs are in the other tub on top and I have about 100 of those ready to go.

See pictures... I just snapped them for ya.

Feel free to ask any other questions.  Happy to help others so they don't waste time trying things I already did, and failed.  :-)

Iggy

post-29379-0-42652800-1492366401_thumb.jpg

post-29379-0-21646200-1492366412_thumb.jpg

Iggy, great idea about the dog shows. Had you thought about your local vets office or dog groomer. You can leave some display items and a display book. May have to spit some of your profits but you could work that out.

Hi Bernd,

I need to put more effort into vets offices, etc.  I have friends who own a doggy daycare and boarding place and they allowed me to put in a display.  I've probably sold 10-12 puzzles thru them.

One thing I'd really like to do is hook up with some dog rescue places that would like the puzzles either to sell or maybe help stimulate donations... "Donate $75 or more to our cause and get a free puzzle..." And I'd give them a deep discount of course.

Congrats Iggy, what a find. I'm sure you're going to do great there. I'm thinking you'd better get more inventory.

Good luck and I hope it works out for you.

Jim

I have 400 cut and ready to go for my big show coming up on April 29.  I'd love to sell 100 in that one day.  And then I have another big one here in my town on May 20th that could be even better.  Fingers crossed for good weather for both events.

Ahh Iggy you did it now, opened the flood gates so to speak.

Your work, outstanding by the way, made me curious so I found a pattern on the net and cut it using an FDUR 2/0 blade.  Pretty interesting, I was getting tired of fretwork all the time, and needed a diversion.  If I decide to continue with this aspect I'll get the puzzle blade and compare the difference.

Shrink wrap - actual shrink wrap?  or something like Saran wrap and a heat gun?

Your picture with the 1/4 inch wire, I assume that is a drying rack and you are dipping the puzzles.  If so do you dip the complete puzzle assembled as the picture shows, or each piece and put the puzzle together later?  What wood are you cutting and dipping in what?

I started doing a monthly craft show here, minimal charge, not much in sales, but surprisingly I get emails for custom work from those who take my business card, maybe 20% of the cards that go missing each show.  So I consider the show as advertising.  Small town, but if this show perks my interest I may check other towns around me.

My first puzzle attached

Jim

post-29054-0-40210000-1492425277_thumb.jpg

Ahh Iggy you did it now, opened the flood gates so to speak.

Your work, outstanding by the way, made me curious so I found a pattern on the net and cut it using an FDUR 2/0 blade.  Pretty interesting, I was getting tired of fretwork all the time, and needed a diversion.  If I decide to continue with this aspect I'll get the puzzle blade and compare the difference.

Shrink wrap - actual shrink wrap?  or something like Saran wrap and a heat gun?

Your picture with the 1/4 inch wire, I assume that is a drying rack and you are dipping the puzzles.  If so do you dip the complete puzzle assembled as the picture shows, or each piece and put the puzzle together later?  What wood are you cutting and dipping in what?

I started doing a monthly craft show here, minimal charge, not much in sales, but surprisingly I get emails for custom work from those who take my business card, maybe 20% of the cards that go missing each show.  So I consider the show as advertising.  Small town, but if this show perks my interest I may check other towns around me.

My first puzzle attached

Jim

Very nice work Jim.  Yep, you're hooked now.  An intervention will be needed soon!

Here is a link to a write-up I did about my process that should help answer some of your questions.  You have much better luck with your business cards than I do... I have 50-100 taken every show and rarely ever hear from anyone after the fact.  I do very well at the shows themselves however.

http://www.scrollsawvillage.com/topic/20547-iggys-animal-puzzle-assembly-line/

The shrink wrap, are 8"x12" shrink wrap bags from Amazon that are sealed with a heat gun.  Works GREAT.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YWNL7IU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you'd like to try any of the puzzles that I cut, I sell the patterns for the artist.  Check my website.  Anything you see out there, I have the pattern for and I email them out right away.   www.WoodcraftByScott.com

Let me know if I missed any questions you had.

Iggy.

Edited by Iguanadon