4 Jigsaw Puzzles

JOE_M

This is one of the puzzle types I've been trying to do. Each is 9x12. Two of them are 165 pieces, the other two are 140 piece puzzles (they're not easy).

The top images are from a 50 cent booklet I got at the Friends of the Library bookstore, glued on with contact cement. The artist is Paul Detlefsen and the book is one in a series of 8 that I'm looking for.

The wood is 1/4" 5-ply. I wasn't too happy with it. The boards were 12x24 and I had one board curl and twist like a strand of DNA, two that had a lot of internal voids, and one that actually had a football-shaped plug on both faces - something I didn't think was possible so I didn't look for it and didn't find until I was ready for glue-up. I was able to work around most of it but there should be a 5th puzzle in the set that got ruined when I stumbled on a big void.

I'm building the small boxes to hold them now, and then I'll be working on a series of 10 small (4.5" x 6" ) watercolor paintings that I'll cut into approx. 20 pieces each - just something easy that someone can assemble while taking a tea break.

Detlefson Puzzles.JPG

2 hours ago, poupster2 said:

The puzzles are fantastic!

I've never made any puzzles, is there a specific pattern to follow to make the puzzles or did you do them free hand?

Thanks. I wanted them to look like regular jigsaw puzzle pieces, so I made some patterns. Tape would tear the picture so I put a piece of low-tack frisket film on it, and then glued the paper pattern to the frisket paper. When all the pieces were cut out I sat and watched tv while peeling off the frisket/pattern.

I'd like to do it freehand, hopefully I'll get there someday. But I am spatially challenged. When I draw circles freehand they have corners.

5 hours ago, rjweb said:

great job on the puzzles, where do you buy your 5 ply wood, i have been looking for a reputable dealer, thx RJ

Thanks. I got this plywood online from Ocooch. I won't be buying any more of it (see my issues up in the original post) even though the price is good. So I'm still looking for a good online source for 1/4" 5-ply. and 1/8" cherry or walnut plywood.

I also got 5 sheets of 1/4" cherry plywood from Ocooch with what looks to be an MDF core. That is some very nice looking, flat plywood and if I can learn to cut it I'll order more. They did ship very fast and packaged it well.

On 4/18/2017 at 7:16 PM, JOE_M said:

This is one of the puzzle types I've been trying to do. Each is 9x12. Two of them are 165 pieces, the other two are 140 piece puzzles (they're not easy).

The top images are from a 50 cent booklet I got at the Friends of the Library bookstore, glued on with contact cement. The artist is Paul Detlefsen and the book is one in a series of 8 that I'm looking for.

The wood is 1/4" 5-ply. I wasn't too happy with it. The boards were 12x24 and I had one board curl and twist like a strand of DNA, two that had a lot of internal voids, and one that actually had a football-shaped plug on both faces - something I didn't think was possible so I didn't look for it and didn't find until I was ready for glue-up. I was able to work around most of it but there should be a 5th puzzle in the set that got ruined when I stumbled on a big void.

I'm building the small boxes to hold them now, and then I'll be working on a series of 10 small (4.5" x 6" ) watercolor paintings that I'll cut into approx. 20 pieces each - just something easy that someone can assemble while taking a tea break.

Detlefson Puzzles.JPG

You and Iggy have a lot in common with puzzles.both of you are tops in your field!