RBI HAwk scroll saw

orangeman

I just purchased a used Hawk RBI scroll saw. Serial # 33405.

Looks brand new and little used. Except for the hole in the table where goes through. Looks like some amateur cut out the hole.

Seller had bought it used and had no manual.

Any idea how old it is?

It was set up on a wooden floor over the seller's garage. I cranked it up full speed and it started dancing all over the floor; bad vibration.

Then I toned it down to 3/4 speed and the vibration stopped; After tinkering with the tension levers both front and back and checking the blade angle,  I was then able to cut a puzzle out of soft maple with success.

So I bought it for $100 figuring it would be a good back up when my DeWalt craps out and goes in the shop.

I'm contacting the hawk folks tomorrow to see if I can get a manual and parts list. Looks like there might be some external lubrication points.

Don't know how often the blade tighteners would need to be replaced or their cost.

I would appreciate any advice from Hawk owners on this saw.

Thanks,

bb

Do you know the size of the saw??  Here is a chart for details and manuals

www.hawkwoodworkingtools.com/WebsitePages/Scroll-Saw-Manuals.html

Needs to be put on a solid floor and not a wood floor. The legs need to be splayed properly so the saw sits level. Most saws have no oil fittings on a RBI Photo would be helpful and all info on the saw such as motor name plate and name plate on the side of the saw. 

Make sure all the nuts holding the saw to the table are tight.  I found a couple of slightly loose ones that helped a little with the vibration. 

My serial number starts with 16XXX and is about 20-25 years old.  Bushton can give you a much better idea if you give them a call and their customer service is pretty good.  They may have ideas about the vibration.