Hegner - Convince Me To or Talk Me Out Of...

Iguanadon

That's Awesome!! I think you made a smart choice.. nothing against the Hegner saws.. I just think you get a much more user friendly saw with the Hawk.. Both are well made saws.. I hope to get this same saw in the next year or so.. Let us all know your thoughts on it once it arrives...

Orangeman, what vintage Hawk? If it is an older one with the lower barrel clamp etc. If so you may not like it. 

What seems to happen many people buy older used saws hate them and then bash the whole brand, I am not saying you will do that but be aware the newer Hawks are a different beast.

On 6/9/2017 at 2:05 PM, kmmcrafts said:

....... Not sure if the Hegners have any type of adjustment for this......

If anyone is still following this thread, it's "Trivia time" . . . . .   I did want to give you something interesting about blade adjustments on the Hegner.  There is an adjustment on the Hegner that is not available on any of the other saw (that I know of).  The Hegner actually allows you to reduce "Blade Stroke Length" which is purported to help on thin material . . ."  I do not do that kind of cutting, so that setting wouldn't be something I would do, however, it is interesting that it is possible.

As another thought, on the classic Hegner clamps, there is no positive blade stop, so the blade could potentially be oriented further forward on the top clamp, and further back on the bottom clamp.  If it was angled very slightly, it wouldn't have much affect on the turning, but might be a little more aggressive.  I think changing the blade angle is how the new Hawks work in relation to changing agressiveness.  I might experiment with that approach on the Hegner when I get some time. 

Edited by hotshot

6 hours ago, hotshot said:

If anyone is still following this thread, it's "Trivia time" . . . . .   I did want to give you something interesting about blade adjustments on the Hegner.  There is an adjustment on the Hegner that is not available on any of the other saws (that I know of).  The Hegner actually allows you to reduce "Blade Stroke Length" which is purported to help on thin material . . ."  I do not do that kind of cutting, so that setting wouldn't be something I would do, however, it is interesting that it is possible.

As another thought, on the classic Hegner clamps, there is no positive blade stop, so the blade could potentially be oriented further forward on the top clamp, and further back on the bottom clamp.  If it was angled very slightly, it wouldn't have much affect on the turning, but might be a little more aggressive.  I think changing the blade angle is how the new Hawks work in relation to changing agressiveness.  I might experiment with that approach on the Hegner when I get some time. 

Yep did both adjustments on my saw when I first got it If I were going to do a lot of thin work then I would adjust the cam to the shorter length.Its not like turnig a knob.So Ihae not done it since

7 hours ago, rjweb said:

So when is the new saw to delivered, RJ

Status is still AWAITING FULFILLMENT... tick tock, tick tock... waiting... waiting...  I may call them today since they charged my credit card the moment I placed the order Sunday I'd like to know when to expect it to arrive.

1 hour ago, Iguanadon said:

Status is still AWAITING FULFILLMENT... tick tock, tick tock... waiting... waiting...  I may call them today since they charged my credit card the moment I placed the order Sunday I'd like to know when to expect it to arrive.

Iggy I am so jealous. Ever since you started this thread I have been looking online at Hawk's and Hegners. I am really wanting a Hawk but I don't need it. 

15 minutes ago, hawkeye10 said:

Iggy I am so jealous. Ever since you started this thread I have been looking online at Hawk's and Hegners. I am really wanting a Hawk but I don't need it. 

There's your problem... "need" is such a useless word... WANT is much more important and exciting.  ;)

4 hours ago, Iguanadon said:

Well... Pooh... The saws are so popular right now they're backlogged.  I'm looking at about 4 weeks.  That's fine, I'm not in critical need of it, but I'm not one for patiently waiting.  :)

I did mention that I wasn't too keen on the fact that they charged my credit card as soon as the order was received and now I'm having to wait a month.  She apologized and even offered to back the charge out and re-charge at the time of shipment, but it wasn't a big deal for me so I told her not to bother.  

But if you're considering ordering, I'd recommend calling them, she was extremely nice, and place the order over the phone and arrange to pay when it's about to ship.

Now I sit and wait... and wait... 

Bushton is very very very small, so no elaborate assembly lines.  Your saw will pretty much be hand built/assembly by just a few people.  I would love to visit and see their setup.  That said, I ordered my EX between production runs, and had to wait several months for delivery.

Edited by hotshot

21 minutes ago, hotshot said:

Bushton is very very very small, so no elaborate assembly lines.  Your saw will pretty much be the hand built/assembly of just a few people.  I would love to visit and see their setup.  That said, I ordered my EX between production runs, and had to wait several months for delivery.

I hope none of the assembly guys catches a cold and is out sick for the next month.  ;)

I saw your website... coin cutting... very impressive. Nice work.

On 6/12/2017 at 9:04 AM, Rolf said:

Orangeman, what vintage Hawk? If it is an older one with the lower barrel clamp etc. If so you may not like it. 

What seems to happen many people buy older used saws hate them and then bash the whole brand, I am not saying you will do that but be aware the newer Hawks are a different beast.

Rolf, it looks brand new and I have a serial #. But it must be old since there is a 19 minute VCR tape that came with it: RBI Hawk 216 precision Scroll Saw. I will call Hawk and find out when it was manufactured. Stay tuned.

• 3 years later...

Ben 2008 Interesting that this discussion has come back to life. 

I just went through my 2005 Hawk G4 26 because it had a squeak, It seems I didn't put three spacers in the correct order on the pitman arm when I replaced it many years ago. Also put a bit of lithium grease on the upper bushing where it connects to the lower arm.