Hegner - Convince Me To or Talk Me Out Of...

Iguanadon

50 minutes ago, Iguanadon said:

Found a used Hawk... from the year 2000?  Let me know if this is a good model and a good price for it please.

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/tls/6151231855.html

Rolf said 2005 or newer.  He knows Hawks.  I think prior to that, before the now owner bought it, you could not top feed,  and I don't think you could adjust the front/back motion of the blade.  I could be wrong, you could email Rolf and ask.  If correct, how important are those features to you?  Certainly would not hurt to look, and see how you like it.

Iggy I'm sure by now you have checked the scroll saw reviews posted here but if you haven't give them a look.   As far as reliability I can attest that Hegner saws have a very good reputation.   I have had mine since 2008 with no mechanical issues.   For the purpose you seem to be using a scroll saw for I think either Hegner or Hawk would serve you well.   I have to admit I do like some of the features of the Hawk over the Hegner and if I were looking for a different saw I would give them a serious look.     

2 hours ago, Scrappile said:

Rolf said 2005 or newer.  He knows Hawks.  I think prior to that, before the now owner bought it, you could not top feed,  and I don't think you could adjust the front/back motion of the blade.  I could be wrong, you could email Rolf and ask.  If correct, how important are those features to you?  Certainly would not hurt to look, and see how you like it.

I have a 1993 Hawk 220VS and there is no adjustment for the blade movement on that old of one.. I also just picked up a 1998 Hawk 226 Ultra.. That saw doesn't have the variable adjustment but it does have two positions for the lower blade clamp so it is adjustable but not really a way to completely fine tune it.. I don't think Hawk made the variable adjustable one until the BM series which are quite new.. I am pretty sure Rolf's saw is just the two positions like mine is.. but I think the 2005 and later saws have the ability to top or bottom feed..

Hope that clears it up some..

3 hours ago, Iguanadon said:

Found a used Hawk... from the year 2000?  Let me know if this is a good model and a good price for it please.

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/tls/6151231855.html

Same saw as the one I just bought, two years newer.. I bet mine was used less though since mine had never been taken out of the original box.. I didn't even realize it had the two positions for the lower blade until i got it home and put it together.. I gave $400 for mine but my picture is probably on the post office wall for theft, LOL

The price of this is pretty decent.. especially if it really is a lightly used one..     

14 minutes ago, tonylumps said:

That saw is nothing like the new Hawk .The bottom blade clamp is behind the table Tilt adjustment.The new Hawk The bottom clamp is in front.i think that will make a big difference  in blade changes

You are right... I hadn't even thought about the lower clamp on the new ones being easier accessible. That would make a big difference. 

I think it is also what gives the ability to be a top feeder...

You already have permission to purchase a saw as high priced as the Hegner.  If you decide a Hawk, go for the best new one they have.. all the bells and whistles and cost you a little less than a Hegner.  You will be a hero to your wife and have a great, brand new saw!!

6 hours ago, Scrappile said:

I think it is also what gives the ability to be a top feeder...

You already have permission to purchase a saw as high priced as the Hegner.  If you decide a Hawk, go for the best new one they have.. all the bells and whistles and cost you a little less than a Hegner.  You will be a hero to your wife and have a great, brand new saw!!

I like that saw .The more I watch the you tube video the more I like it. Basically it is the same learning curve as the Hegner .But a few more tweaks that are nice . But now you are talking 1550.00.as opposed to 1800.00.They will both outlive all of us .I can not see spending that kind of money on one saw.Iggy you have a budget of 1800.00. Me I would buy either a Jet or a Seyco from a very Reputable dealer and use the rest of the money to look for a good used Hegner as a Backup saw. And you will still be cutting while looking.How many members here have good backup saws.Sell your Dewalt saws to buy more wood.Remember this is an opinion from a guy who has 2 back up lathes ( Am I nuts or what)

Edited by tonylumps

2 hours ago, tonylumps said:

I like that saw .The more I watch the you tube video the more I like it. Basically it is the same learning curve as the Hegner .But a few more tweaks that are nice . But now you are talking 1550.00.as opposed to 1800.00.They will both outlive all of us .I can not see spending that kind of money on one saw.Iggy you have a budget of 1800.00. Me I would buy either a Jet or a Seyco from a very Reputable dealer and use the rest of the money to look for a good used Hegner as a Backup saw. And you will still be cutting while looking.How many members here have good backup saws.Sell your Dewalt saws to buy more wood.Remember this is an opinion from a guy who has 2 back up lathes ( Am I nuts or what)

Tony, my top criteria is... low/no maintenance.  The Jet and Seyco are closer in design to the Dewalt with many bearings and moving parts requiring routine maintenance, correct?  Hegner and Hawk are literally "a few drops of oil here and here" every so often and are easy enough to replace parts that literally anyone can do it if necessary.  Am I correct in what I've heard and read?

3 hours ago, tonylumps said:

Yes Tony you are nuts but I like a little crazy.  :cool:  :lol:

1 minute ago, hawkeye10 said:

I was looking on the Hawk site and noticed the shipping is $150. That is a lot.  :grr:

The saw weighs 97 pounds, I was surprised it didn't cost more to ship.  LOL  They could have easily sold it for $1550 and said FREE SHIPPING to make folks feel better.

1 hour ago, Dave Monk said:

I too am definitely going to buy a new saw this fall. A few hundred dollars is not enough to sway my decision. Noooo way would I purchase one without test driving it. I am going to the Midwest scroll saw show in August to check them out.

You take all of the fun and excitement out of it Dave, buying without testing adds a level of intrigue, mystery and surprise.  :D

Iggy, I personally believe the bearing on the Seyco are better bearing than the DeWalt has.  Fact (going by the Ex I had), I believe they are sealed bearings.  I do not know anything about the Jet. That being said, there are definitely more on that could go wrong with one, but I never had any problem with my Ex, except making a minor adjustment once or twice.  But, yes, more work to fix if something did go wrong, and I am sure a Seyco will never last as long as a Hawk or Hegner.  Hegner and Hawk saws are for production work, Seyco and below are for the hobbyist.  My opinion. 

If some one wants to figure it out, is the cost of a Hawk or a Herner really more than a DeWalt, over a long period of time, considering the life span of the saws.  They only have to out live 3 or 4 DeWalts.... I know they will do that.

2 hours ago, Iguanadon said:

Tony, my top criteria is... low/no maintenance.  The Jet and Seyco are closer in design to the Dewalt with many bearings and moving parts requiring routine maintenance, correct?  Hegner and Hawk are literally "a few drops of oil here and here" every so often and are easy enough to replace parts that literally anyone can do it if necessary.  Am I correct in what I've heard and read?

iggy I would not put them in the same class as a Dewalt.But there are more things that could go wrong.Hegner ,Hawk are bullet proof.It is the learning curve that you will have to over come.Is there a return policy just in case you do not like the saw.Both my saws I bought used at a very fair price If I did not like either one back on Ebay.That is my concern.Not trying either saw But the hawk seams a lot more user freindly for someone not using this type of saw before.You are not going to go wrong with either saw

1 hour ago, Iguanadon said:

The saw weighs 97 pounds, I was surprised it didn't cost more to ship.  LOL  They could have easily sold it for $1550 and said FREE SHIPPING to make folks feel better.

I don't think it cost that much for Grizzly to ship my band saw to me. You just have to figure that into the cost if you want a new saw. If that is what I wanted I would pay it, that is for sure. I mean it's only money!!!!!!   :)