Help

John Ryan

I have the same saw and I use number 2 for anything under 1/2 inch and number 5 for 1/2 to 3/4 inch. I don't cut much over 3/4 inch so can't help you there. Where did you find the saw for 75 dollars? I can never come across any deals like that. Was it in good shape? They are excellent saws. I have had mine for over 20 years and it runs like the day I bought and it has been used a lot.

dude, you need ALL the blades!
all the blades that olsen makes are for intricate work.  some are for straight intricate cuts,

some are for curves, some get rid of the feathering, and those spiral blades are great for

intricate curves, too, and can gives great results on some kinds of work.

the blades are pretty cheap,too, so if you invest thirty or forty bucks on an array of blades,

you will be prepared for anything you decide to make.

15 hours ago, scrollin'fool said:

dude, you need ALL the blades!
all the blades that olsen makes are for intricate work.  some are for straight intricate cuts,

some are for curves, some get rid of the feathering, and those spiral blades are great for

intricate curves, too, and can gives great results on some kinds of work.

the blades are pretty cheap,too, so if you invest thirty or forty bucks on an array of blades,

you will be prepared for anything you decide to make.

I agree ,the more the merryier in blades ,I used to have lots of different ons and finally settled for Mikeworkshop fd#7blade as my most used scroll reverse blade.Puzzle blades are nice but i all depends on wood thickness and hardness.

There are various places that sell a variety pack of blades.  When I purchased two different saws, they came with such packs.  I use the blades to get me familiar with the sizes for different woods.  Then I started purchasing blades in the sizes I used most, but I purchased better blades, like Flying Dutchman, some like Olsen blades more.  I've been scrolling for several year, and I am still trying different sizes and types for different things.  Recently I tried Pegas blades and I really like their double tooth blades. 

I guess the point is, in my opinion, start experimenting.  Purchase a small variety and add to that as you gain experience.  As you get into it you will be purchasing your favorite blades by the gross.