Custom Names in Any Animal Puzzle

Iguanadon

Hi Gang,

For those of you buying Harvey Byler's patterns from me, and even if you aren't, I wanted to be sure everyone knows you can take advantage of Harvey's amazing artwork by requesting custom names within any dog breed or animal.

I get a custom order or two every event that I do and if you are selling these puzzles or are thinking about it, you'll get requests also.  I created a new category on my website for ordering.  Harvey charges a flat $20 for each one.  Allow 1 week for him to draw it, mail it to me and then I'll scan and email it to you.

https://woodcraftbyscott.com/collections/all-puzzles/products/custom-animal-puzzle-names

Thanks and let me know if you have any questions.

Iggy

1 hour ago, trackman said:

You say $20.  Do you mean $2.00?

$20.  Custom name, hand drawn for an individual, one time use.  Top image shows 4 examples of ones I've ordered and made.

The standard animal pattern with the breed/type of animal are $2.50. The bottom image shows the standard patterns.

Customers like to personalize with their pet name or the name of a child or grandchild.  

IMG_20170925_200448.jpg

IMG_20170105_075135.jpg

Edited by Iguanadon

6 minutes ago, redwine said:

Iggy, is this $20 passed on to the customer or not? If so that would make for a very expensive puzzle. Just wondering!

Erv

Yep, passed on to the customer...

I charge $25 for my puzzles "as is", or you can customize with a personalized name for an extra $20.  Obviously not everyone is willing to pay $45, but many people are, and if they aren't, more times than not they end up buying the regular puzzle "as is", so it's no harm to me.

The $20 goes straight to Harvey, I don't take a cut or add anything more to it.

Over the past year, I've probably done 100-125 customs.  I have 2 examples on display at events to show people that ask about personalizing.

Edited by Iguanadon

Eerie... Harvey just called me and one of the things he wanted to discuss was the fact that he has over 1500 custom/personalized patterns on file that he's done over the years and he wondered if there would be interest in some of them at the usual price of $2.50 since they're already drawn.  

You'd need someone with a kid named Ethan who is into Elephants though as just one example, so it would be a very tiny possibility on a pattern by pattern basis, but you never know.  I had an example one I kept on display that was a Poodle named Pepper, and someone came up and said "Wow, that's my dog!" and she ended up buying the display puzzle.

The tough part is, 1500 of them... and they aren't currently cataloged or listed anywhere, so creating a master list (by hand since he's Amish) would be quite an undertaking.

He and I will continue to discuss the possibility.

P.S.  Mrs. Iggy and I plan on doing a roadtrip, probably in May and the primary destination along the way is so that I can visit and meet Harvey.  I just want to meet him, see his shop and shake his hand.  He's been fun and great to work with.

12 hours ago, Iguanadon said:

Yep, passed on to the customer...

I charge $25 for my puzzles "as is", or you can customize with a personalized name for an extra $20.  Obviously not everyone is willing to pay $45, but many people are, and if they aren't, more times than not they end up buying the regular puzzle "as is", so it's no harm to me.

The $20 goes straight to Harvey, I don't take a cut or add anything more to it.

Over the past year, I've probably done 100-125 customs.  I have 2 examples on display at events to show people that ask about personalizing.

Scott I was wondering what are the guidelines for the custom names? Some names would have to many letters. Also there could be some other guidelines that I haven't thought about. 

6 hours ago, Aggie said:

Hi  Iggy 

Does he have any with the German names of the animals, if not what would the cost of one be?

Hi Terry, funny you ask, but Harvey just drew a custom pattern for someone that is the  Fairy Tale of the Bremen City Musicians.  If you email me, I can provide the email of the person that purchased it and I believe she is offering it to those who are interested.

WoodcraftByScott@gmail.com

If someone was going to jump in head first into puzzle making, you'd need a large amount of patterns to start off with.. Is there any sort of discounted price... say for a whole set? Just curious as some of us are sellers.. and everyone knows offering 1-10 different puzzles isn't enough to get really started into puzzle selling.. as you'll need a large selection.. I've contemplated offering puzzles in my lineup for a few years now.... but to purchase a hundred different puzzle patterns can get kind of pricey.. I see the fox chapel site offers a complete set of their woodimal patterns.. 438 ( I believe it was ) patterns for $145 on a disc.. woodimals While it's probably not a very popular thing to offer a complete set..and probably not worth your time setting up your site to offer a disc like this.. it would be an idea to offer a set or at least a set of the most popular ones?

The disadvantage of the woodimal set is there isn't an option for personalized patterns.. That isn't an issue for myself as I have the ability to make my own anyway.. plus I have a half dozen designers I work with myself if I cannot get a design on my own.. and they typically charge $5-10 each 

18 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

If someone was going to jump in head first into puzzle making, you'd need a large amount of patterns to start off with.. Is there any sort of discounted price... say for a whole set? Just curious as some of us are sellers.. and everyone knows offering 1-10 different puzzles isn't enough to get really started into puzzle selling.. as you'll need a large selection.. I've contemplated offering puzzles in my lineup for a few years now.... but to purchase a hundred different puzzle patterns can get kind of pricey.. I see the fox chapel site offers a complete set of their woodimal patterns.. 438 ( I believe it was ) patterns for $145 on a disc.. woodimals While it's probably not a very popular thing to offer a complete set..and probably not worth your time setting up your site to offer a disc like this.. it would be an idea to offer a set or at least a set of the most popular ones?

The disadvantage of the woodimal set is there isn't an option for personalized patterns.. That isn't an issue for myself as I have the ability to make my own anyway.. plus I have a half dozen designers I work with myself if I cannot get a design on my own.. and they typically charge $5-10 each 

Hey Kevin,

Personally, I'd bought over 150 of Harvey's patterns from Wooden Teddy Bear at $3.00 each plus shipping ($4.95 per order or .50cents each to have them emailed), prior to me working with him directly.  I'm offering them for $2.50 each with no shipping costs.  There really isn't any more room for discounting without taking money out of Harvey's pocket.

Yes, woodimals are out there, but quite frankly they aren't nearly as good a quality as Harvey's work, but that's a call each scroller has to make as to what they want to offer their customers, it's certainly an option.

As to the "most popular", that would vary based on region of the country, or the country you're in (I'm selling the patterns all over the world lately).  Specific dogs tend to be more popular than others in different places.  My top sellers are of course the sea and beach creatures... etc.

I'll think about coming up with a bundle of popular 15 patterns for $30 and I'll simply forfeit the tiny amount that I keep from each one (50 cents)

Iggy

12 minutes ago, Iguanadon said:

Hey Kevin,

Personally, I'd bought over 150 of Harvey's patterns from Wooden Teddy Bear at $3.00 each plus shipping ($4.95 per order or .50cents each to have them emailed), prior to me working with him directly.  I'm offering them for $2.50 each with no shipping costs.  There really isn't any more room for discounting without taking money out of Harvey's pocket.

Yes, woodimals are out there, but quite frankly they aren't nearly as good a quality as Harvey's work, but that's a call each scroller has to make as to what they want to offer their customers, it's certainly an option.

As to the "most popular", that would vary based on region of the country, or the country you're in (I'm selling the patterns all over the world lately).  Specific dogs tend to be more popular than others in different places.  My top sellers are of course the sea and beach creatures... etc.

I'll think about coming up with a bundle of popular 15 patterns for $30 and I'll simply forfeit the tiny amount that I keep from each one (50 cents)

Iggy

No worries Iggy about putting together the popular ones.. I sort of knew they would be different from one location to the next.. I'm only tire kicking so to speak about offering up puzzles.. I sort of feel they are a better fit for someone selling in person rather than online anyway... which is what you had been saying as well. I'll stick to my ornaments and clocks until I run out of different ideas, LOL

I bought 2 lots off Scrolleron line each lot had 10 dogs ( they looked like Harvies) The price is $12.95 per set, that's $1.25 a good price. They also have other collections of animals. I am not trying to hert any body's business I just want to let lpeople of the good buys.

IKE

48 minutes ago, ike said:

I bought 2 lots off Scrolleron line each lot had 10 dogs ( they looked like Harvies) The price is $12.95 per set, that's $1.25 a good price. They also have other collections of animals. I am not trying to hert any body's business I just want to let lpeople of the good buys.

IKE

I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure those are the woodimal patterns.. I have quite a few of those patterns from back in the day when I used to sell them..

If someone paid $20 extra to have a custom pattern drawn specifically for them, it would seem to me that Harvey shouldn't  now be selling that pattern to everyone else for $2.50.  If he's got over 1500 custom ones on file, he's already made more than $30,000 for his efforts.

It's hardly a custom pattern if it's now available to anyone.  Just my thoughts.

Nancy

16 hours ago, Wooden Lace said:

If someone paid $20 extra to have a custom pattern drawn specifically for them, it would seem to me that Harvey shouldn't  now be selling that pattern to everyone else for $2.50.  If he's got over 1500 custom ones on file, he's already made more than $30,000 for his efforts.

It's hardly a custom pattern if it's now available to anyone.  Just my thoughts.

Nancy

So you're saying he should be charging everyone $20 for personalized patterns even though he already has the design made? I'd say that is quite fair.. more fair than spending 2 hours on a "possible" one time only pattern that you only charge $2.50 for.. not sure about you.. but I wouldn't work for 1.25 per hour unless it was 40-50 years ago.. LOL

I do the same thing with selling on my web site... If a customer wants a custom design ( ie a Bass fishing clock.. I charge that customer for the design work ( artwork fees ) however I always stack cut my work.. the others get listed on my site for the actual work per "my cutting".. I get the rights to the design from the artist to make as many as I like.. I have one designer than custom make patterns for me and he offers a discounted price if he can list the design on his site to sell.. which is typically $5 but if I say no to the design being available to others than my cost is $40 and up.. depending on the design..

Iggy.. Now.. I hope you didn't take my post as trying to low ball you or Harvey.. I sometimes post things without really thinking about it.. Simply put.. I like to buy pattern sets and was making it aware that there is a complete set available at a very reasonable price.. and was just wondering if there was one out there of Harveys patterns as I didn't see anything on "your" site.. I know you aren't the only seller of his patterns.. I don't expect someone to work for free.. but if there is a discounted price on a set.. I'd probably buy it just to have in my pattern collection..

I think some clarification is called for.  We seem to be talking about two different kinds of custom patterns.  In Iggy's post, his example was the actual pet's name in that animal's shape, instead of just the  type of animal.  He mentioned that if they weren't willing to pay the extra $20, usually they would end up simply buying the generic puzzle.

To me, that's different than if someone simply wanted an animal that wasn't currently available, but would be suitable for anyone.  In that case, I would think they would expect that the designer would add it to his inventory.  They are simply paying a premium to get it before he got around to drawing it for general use....if he ever did for that animal.

Would like to note that I love his puzzles, and have 50-60 of them myself.  I used to cut them when I was doing shows, until the business went a totally different direction.  On the shelf above my desk right now I have the Gorilla, Anteater, Bison and Rhino, all cut from 1" black walnut.

Anyway, I seem to have ruffled plenty of  feathers by not being articulate enough to clearly state what I was thinking, so that will be all for me.  I'll just fade away and not be heard from again.

So long.