Not sure if I want to do this

edward

My wife suggested that I take  a couple items that I have had for a couple years that  didn't sell and take 25% off, has anyone done this before, I know a lot of work that goes into making the items. Her thinking is that it only ties up Inventory, and hauling back and forth. Not sure if I really want to do this . Opinions welcome.  edward

Hi Edward:

I agree with your wife - I hate doing this also but if that's what it takes to keep things moving

than so be it - If you have have your materials covered and a bit more then GO FOR IT

If at the reduced price it doesn't sell then it becomes designer firewood, never to be made again

it would make our lives a lot simpler/easier if we knew what the public wanted but we all know it

doesn't happen that way

By reducing your price and actually selling those items it may lead to more work down the road

so you are not really losing out

And yes, most items are a lot of work but again, you know as well as I do, we will never get rich doing this type

of work

Good Luck whichever way you decide to go

Fab4

Edward, I have reduced the price on some items but not that much! I have also increased the price by $10 to $20 and you would be surprised at times that they will sell at the higher price! Try that on one or two items and place them in the display that draws the most attention and see if they sell. The other thing that we do is to provide them as door prizes at shows that request the venders to provide an item for such. If you have had the items that long, you can probably do the increase in price and the customers would not notice it and even if they do, you can say that it is a new cutting and the price of materials has increased or that improvements had been made but use this excuse only if you have to. Normally the increase will not be noticed!

Erv 

Sometimes it's harder to sell a low priced item than it is to sell a higher priced item.. I usually have a set bottom dollar amount that I will take for a piece.. Sometimes I play around with a piece.. for instance I had an item that was priced at $18 sat on it two years.. finally I raised the price to $28 but scratched it out and reduced to $22 sold it for 22 and actually got a couple orders for a few more, LOL sometimes it takes people thinking they are getting a bargain to make a purchase.. I have yet to not sell something for what I needed out of it.. always figured if I can't sell I'll donate it to salvation army or goodwill.. since all items have my web site on them.. I figured maybe some free advertising on items I cannot sell.. however I haven't ever had the chance to actually do that yet.. because I play with pricing on those items to mess with minds to think they got a deal..

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.. but by all means.. I wouldn't make firewood out of it when you have the opportunity to use it as advertising.. and advertising is tax deductible.. firewood? I doubt can be deducted, LOL

Edward

I have had the same issue from time to time. Sometime it is as simple as changing your display a little. Others you lower or raise the price. It's all about the customers perception. Then there are times when you donate the piece for the Chinese auction if they have one. Most of the smaller shows I do have an auction, when people see your offering they come looking to see what else you have. 

I have had a fret work bible verse from Matthew that I took with me for actually 3=5 years and had a lot of lookers but no takers and kept it at home a couple years and finally decided to take it again. and I gave it to the sponsors of the sale for a door prize. When they presented it to the person who won they announced my name and booth number and gave it to a lady in her 80's who had volunteered there for 40 years and she had tears from the receiving the gift and was very thankful. I had much more traffic, sales orders and questions at my booth than ever. I don't have to carry it around as a non sale any more and I have the satisfaction it is in a thankful home .

This kind of reminds me of the story about a men's store and umbrellas.   The store keeper wasn't having any success selling his umbrellas at the regular price he had posted so he made a big sign ON SALE and raised the price and they sold like hotcakes.   

Edward you don't say what the item is or what kind of a price you have on it.   Maybe the best course of action would be to give it to someone as a gift, or not.

Edward, I hardly ever marked my items down, once I decided on a price I stuck to it. What I did do with a couple of items, was I marked a few up and then a couple down in price. Sometimes, that worked. I had a reason for not marking my items down, the customers were always the same people. They remembered the prices from week to week, if I changed the prices they noticed.

Len

P.S. Then again, it would be wise to keep the wife happy.

Edited by Lucky2
to add P.S.