Excalibur Ex-21 Stand??

kmmcrafts

I keep walking past the box with my new Ex-21... and thinking about how large it is.. I'm thinking the stands I have aren't going to be big enough.. I'd like to take a trip to my local woodcraft store and pick up a stand for the Ex-21.. but that said.. they are only selling the King in the 16" and the 30" so the web site shows the stands for the 16" and the 30" obviously.. I've read somewhere while doing research that the 16" and the 21" use the same stand.. Assuming the stand is still the same.. ( don't know why they'd change it if they still plan to sell the King in the 21" ).. 

Anyone on here have both a E'x-16 and a Ex-21 that could verify whether these stands are the same or not?  I see Seyco web site still offers the stand for the Ex-21.. I suppose I could just order that.. but in my mind.. I'm itching to set this new saw up.. and thought I'd make the hour drive to woodcraft to get a stand, LOL..

Honestly shouldn't take the time off to play with it until I get the bulk of my orders done.. but.. not sure it's going to be possible to wait until the new year when things slow up a bit anyway :)       

Kevin, you could buy a stand at Harbor Freight, that is a twin to the one that comes with the EX  saws. They're not much of a stand, and they're not very  expensive. If you don't take  advantage of Wayne's offer, try H.F. There's not a whole lot of metal in one, but once bolted together tightly they never move. A few years back, I quit making my own stands. The material  to build them out of, was just to expensive. It got to be much cheaper to buy a steel one, and when I no longer need the stand I take it apart. They don't take up much space to store them, and it's nice to have a spare one on hand.

Len

I love the Ex stand, except for one thing.  That freaking lower front cross bar is right where my feet should be.  I should probably figure out how to put a support at the very bottom of the front, then get rid of the mid support.

Other than that, the stand is super solid, is height adjustable, and really seems to keep the saw vibration free.

------Randy

King Canada who distribute the Excelsior line in Canada which is the same as the EX sell one stand that fits both the EX-16 and EX-21.

Here is a description from a Canadian supplier.  https://www.kmstools.com/king-canada-stand-for-excelsior-scroll-saws-123359

Looks like my stand for my EX-21.  The only thing I did was put a tray in the bottom rail.  Makes it sturdier.  I also made on a slope.

Edited by don in brooklin on

7 hours ago, Lucky2 said:

Kevin, you could buy a stand at Harbor Freight, that is a twin to the one that comes with the EX  saws. They're not much of a stand, and they're not very  expensive. If you don't take  advantage of Wayne's offer, try H.F. There's not a whole lot of metal in one, but once bolted together tightly they never move. A few years back, I quit making my own stands. The material  to build them out of, was just to expensive. It got to be much cheaper to buy a steel one, and when I no longer need the stand I take it apart. They don't take up much space to store them, and it's nice to have a spare one on hand.

Len

Len I did like you and bought my stand at HF. I have an EX16.

Which one of the HF stands fits the Ex best? I have some extras of the smaller stand they sell as I bought 6 of them at a yard sale.. I used three of them for drill press, grinder, belt-disc sander, and jointer.. I bought one of the bigger ones for the planer.. Suppose if the smaller stands mounting surface is too small I could cut a piece of leftover 3/4" osb I have and mount that to the stand and then the saw to the osb.. That is how I had done the other things mounted to those stands I picked up because the base of those other tools was too small to mount them the way I wanted.. However those smaller stands do not have height adjustments I don't think? maybe they do.. I'll have to look..  The larger one I have my planer mounted to is not a very sturdy stand.. well I should say it's sturdy but the legs  ( adjustable feet or leg extensions )  are springy and the planer bounces all around.. can't imagine trying to scroll on that stand.. It's fine for the planer though..

12 hours ago, hotshot said:

I love the Ex stand, except for one thing.  That freaking lower front cross bar is right where my feet should be.  I should probably figure out how to put a support at the very bottom of the front, then get rid of the mid support.

Other than that, the stand is super solid, is height adjustable, and really seems to keep the saw vibration free.

------Randy

I set with my foot on the support & other foot on stool with the foot switch. 

C0AFAD49-E945-430B-86AC-79BD146B3B33.jpeg

7 hours ago, trackman said:

I set with my foot on the support & other foot on stool with the foot switch. 

C0AFAD49-E945-430B-86AC-79BD146B3B33.jpeg

Del, I see that you have your saw fastened right to the top of the stand. I had mine like that originally, but then I installed a piece of plywood between the two. I like it much better with the plywood inserted, I left the plywood the same size as the splayed legs take up. With it being that size, I have a bit of space to lay items on on each side of the saw. On one side I have a speaker magnet installed, I use it to hold the blades I'm using. I use Flying Dutchman blades, and I leave them in the small plastic bags they come in. Once I decide what type and size of blade I'm going to use on a project, I place the plastic bag with the blades in it on the magnet. That's on benefit to the plywood, I still have another one if your interested? Right below where the sawdust falls onto the piece of plywood, I cut a good sized hole for the sawdust to fall through. On the underside of the hole, I fastened a top off of a plastic storage container. The only thing about the container top that I used, is that I cut a good sized hole in it. The sawdust falls right down through that hole into the plastic container, when it gets to be about 3/4 full I empty it. I used small screws to hold the container top in place, and the container just snaps into place. You don't want a container that the top is hard to remove from, it makes it to hard to remove the container when you need to. This system works perfect for me, and it makes clean up a lot quicker. Oh yeah, don't forget to paint the plywood, it makes cleaning up the dust an easier job also.

Len