Finally A Bit Of Vinyl

blights69

8 hours ago, blights69 said:

Had a request for something on vinyl for a tattoo artist friend so came up with these, Stack cut 3 and sprayed as I wanted, cut with #4 Spiral (no choice with vinyl). I will let him pick the one he wants and offer the others to local charity shop that supplies me with my records to cut. 

Inked (1).JPG

Inked (2).JPG

Inked (3).JPG

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 hours ago, WayneG said:

great stuff Frank! I like the black one best.

I too like someone above have to ask, why  must it be a spiral? 

My guess is cause a normal blade will chew up the vinyl?

I am planning to try vinyl soon...I am intrigued by it.

Yes Wayne every blade I have tried so far chips the vinyl to bits so I use spiral until I maybe find one that does work :) 

1 hour ago, rdatelle said:

Well those look great Frank. I guess I will have to try some spiral blades and see how they cut. I was wondering, what if you sandwiched the vinyl between to pieces of wood and cut it. That's what I have to do with plexiglass so it won;t chip.

That would work Ralph I would of thought I will try that next time see what happens but cannot see any reason why that would not stop it chipping the vinyl

Hey frank, I need to make a blade order (first time I am going to buy blades, I got into this hobby when I bought saw that came with 300+ blades) I have not minded spirals and as a matter of fact think I may start using the more so as they can be a time saver for certain projects. 

The spiral blades I have used did not have flat ends and I think that caused problems with clamping as a result I am thinking of only ordering flat end spirals but there seem to be limited size options as opposed to the non flat end spirals.

Any feedback on the non and flat end spirals?

2 minutes ago, WayneG said:

Hey frank, I need to make a blade order (first time I am going to buy blades, I got into this hobby when I bought saw that came with 300+ blades) I have not minded spirals and as a matter of fact think I may start using the more so as they can be a time saver for certain projects. 

The spiral blades I have used did not have flat ends and I think that caused problems with clamping as a result I am thinking of only ordering flat end spirals but there seem to be limited size options as opposed to the non flat end spirals.

Any feedback on the non and flat end spirals?

I use either the flat ends are easier to load obviously but the others on first use I tend to put in the clamp slightly tweak it to straighten then in a little more tweak until all way in this for me seems to straighten the top enough to be able to place in clamp easy each time after that . I know olsen do a flat end spiral because I have some #4 not sure of other sizes because as I said I use either some one else may have more info for you who reads this, good find on the saw thought with 300+ blades in with it :) 

2 minutes ago, blights69 said:

I use either the flat ends are easier to load obviously but the others on first use I tend to put in the clamp slightly tweak it to straighten then in a little more tweak until all way in this for me seems to straighten the top enough to be able to place in clamp easy each time after that . I know olsen do a flat end spiral because I have some #4 not sure of other sizes because as I said I use either some one else may have more info for you who reads this, good find on the saw thought with 300+ blades in with it :) 

ya seems olsen has flat end spirals in 4 & 6 and one other as i recall.

yes I got likely the deal of a lifetime on the buy...it was:

dewalt 788 type 1

300+ blades

old school table top band saw

custom modified offset drill press for ease of drilling pilot holes into scrolling projects (this was likely the most valuable and useful piece in this package)

a floor magnifier/lamp

all for the tidy sum of $250. Canadian....

The only thing I have left from that package is the drill press and the blades left; sold the band saw, dewalt for upgrades (and I got more than $250 for them...) Magnifyer broke after about 8 months