What do you do with your Scroll Saw work?

Oges

Just curious as to what people do with their work once they have finished it.

Please visit the poll on the link below to vote.

http://www.misterpoll.com/polls/498281

For those who choose the Sell option, would like to know if you still enjoy scrolling as a hobby or if it makes it more demanding on you to earn money

Brett

I've been giving my bowls and other projects away to family and friends. But am now building up an inventory of bowls which I am considering selling at local Saturday Markets in my area. The hardest decision for me is deciding what to sell them for. I can't bring myself to sell them over the internet. I feel someone needs to see these bowls in person - from all angles. I want to make sure the customers are getting exactly what they want in size color, etc.

I'm so attached to these bowls. I think for me it's more like adopting them out to good homes, rather than selling them. lol

SQ

I voted. I sell a lot of the stuff I make and I also give some away to auction/charities as well as to family. It is still a hobby for me. Selling pieces is how I pay for my hobby. I get pretty busy during the holidays making (selling) gifts for others. when asked to make something I ask when they want it done by, if it doesn't give me enough time to where I feel pressured I won't do it. Most people I sell to know I do this as a hobby, and tell me "whenever you get it done."

I work at my own pace if I don't feel like working in the shop I don't, but most nights I'm out there plugging away. It's relaxing to me, lets me unwind from my real job by doing something I love doing. To me there is no better joy than seeing someones face light up from something I've made for them, even if they are paying for it. I have done shows before and even rented a space in our mall, that way felt like a job to me. Now I sell by word of mouth, sometimes I get pretty busy. but I can still work at my own pace.

I sell by word of mouth, some times I'm busy some times I'm not. I also give to family and friends plus I have made some Christmas ornaments to give to my grandson's class and they paint them for Christmas. But no matter what the reason I cut its always because I want to and I like it. And the money I make always goes back into my hobby for wood supplies, blades etc. :D

Marg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't plan on selling my goods, although that may change at some point. Some will be for family and friends, A lot will end up in the future train room on the walls and on the layout itself, and in my current ham (amateur radio) shack, as well as my cubicle at work :lol: Although, all this may change at anytime, due to the addictiveness of this hobby :D

• 2 weeks later...

Most of the time I give things away. Christmas and birthdays. I always do a few things for my grandmas birthday every year. There's a big raffle and auction, and all the money goes to grandma so I go all out for that. Past couple years I did some things for our company banquet. She really rushed me last year so I don't know if I'll do much this year. :roll: I have so many things going on, too many hobbies. ;)

Ken

Basically since the recession i've been going full force scrolling .With no work in 3 years i've wore out 7 scroll saws.I've given well over 1500 items that took hours and hours to make and paint just to try and get customers for my handyman skills.Now after looseing all my tools ,3.5 tons worth i am forced to sell my work to make ends meet.It's tough!Craft shows are way to exspensive to get in .We don't have a nickle to spare.Yard sales are a disaster,they push,press twist pick,bend at delicate works and destroy things.Word of mouth is not working either.i'm open for suggestions. :)Touch with your eye's,and look with your fingers!