3 in 1 oil

jbrowning

1 hour ago, jbrowning said:

I am wanting to oil my Hegner saw. I know people are saying they use a 3  in 1 oil. When I look up what Lowe's has, there is quite a few different ones. Can someone give me more info on which one you use.

Thanks

Jim

small motor oil it is a light weight oil. Home Depot carries a blue and red can. 20w

https://3inone.com/products/motor-oil/

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

I have the black labeled can in my shop. I don't use it for my scroll saw though. It cleans, lubricates and protects the pieces I use it on. The blue can seems to made for small motors 1/4 hp and up. If I was going to pack bearings I would think a good lithium grease would be better then oil. Just a few thoughts. 

Yes 3 in 1 is fine What I do is place a rag under the bushings a few drops on the back of each bushing Tension a blade up and run it a few seconds then wipe off excess to keep the dust from collecting.I know it sounds like you are oiling an old singer sewing machine .But the bushings in my saw are the original 1998

Any good light weight oil should do the job.   Light is the key word as you want it to flow in where it belongs.  The main thing is to oil the bushings often enough that they don't run dry.   I try to remember to oil mine at least every 10 hours.   Oil is cheaper then bushings and applying it only takes a few seconds.   I have been using a product called Tri-Flow which works well.

Edited by stoney

I used to sell Howes Oil off my tool truck. I had a case or two of the little sample bottles. I gave them out and sold a ton of the oil in gallon jugs. I did keep a couple of the sample bottles and have been using it for years. Best oil you can buy. If you can find a vendor, they do sell it in small cans/bottles. I highly recommend it. Works for lubricating and as a penetrating oil. Great stuff. 

Ray