Using PVC for Dust Sucker....:+}

danny

Just had to add this post to the topic.

I have been using this New set up for controlling the excess dust and let me tell you all something.

NO DUST GETS AWAY FROM MY Dust Sucker Tubes.  Using a Vac named BAD ASH....  It is about Half the Loudness

of my normal Shop Vac.  Very tolerable to me.  Still able to enjoy my Background Music. 

I don't know how I have been Scrolling for over a Decade without knowing about this set up.

Been using the Square box fan with Filter along with the lil fan blowing across the table for Many, many Years.

This set up does work Good, but not all the Dust is contained on that filter.  Anyway this just be my 13 cents worth of thoughts.  Danny  :+}

DSCN0712.JPG

Edited by danny

I put this system on my Hawk last July and use a Festool Midi vacuum.  Like you said Danny I should have done this years ago.

I used a couple of Mag switches to hold it to my Hawk table. I also added a trap to catch the small pieces that I did not want to get sucked up. The only thing I was not happy with was that the upper tube was a pain to move out of my way and then back again as the flex tubes are a bit stiff (as they should be). A few weeks ago I added this coupling using it as a swivel. I snugged it down just enough so I have no leak but still easy to swing out of the way.  I drilled and tapped a hole in the ring for a screw to keep setting from changing when I swing the nozzle. The large picture was before I added the trap and swivel.5abcede25bc8d_Swivelmod.thumb.jpg.8ebd6fd53ff4aa7511d9e83576529fcf.jpg

Hawk dust collection1.jpg

Swivel mod closeup.jpg

Edited by Rolf

5 hours ago, Rolf said:

I put this system on my Hawk last July and use a Festool Midi vacuum.  Like you said Danny I should have done this years ago.

I used a couple of Mag switches to hold it to my Hawk table. I also added a trap to catch the small pieces that I did not want to get sucked up. The only thing I was not happy with was that the upper tube was a pain to move out of my way and then back again as the flex tubes are a bit stiff (as they should be). A few weeks ago I added this coupling using it as a swivel. I snugged it down just enough so I have no leak but still easy to swing out of the way.  I drilled and tapped a hole in the ring for a screw to keep setting from changing when I swing the nozzle. The large picture was before I added the trap and swivel.5abcede25bc8d_Swivelmod.thumb.jpg.8ebd6fd53ff4aa7511d9e83576529fcf.jpg

Hawk dust collection1.jpg

Swivel mod closeup.jpg

Great idea. I was looking for something like that but didn't see the swivel that you found. 

Ray

I used 3/4, just don't glue the all of the joints, I have had stuff get stuck in the elbows.

Regarding the trap I used 3" pvc and drilled holes in the sides for the fittings. On a wood lath I turned the bottom plug and the lid. But you could just use the regular endcaps for that size pipe. I put a piece of screen inside to catch the bits. If I had thought about it a bit more I would have made a mini cyclone. You can see all of the stuff that got caught in it.Trap.thumb.jpg.70f5e7f3261acb66cc22b9c0b2d4c018.jpg

20180329_161255.jpg

1 hour ago, Sycamore67 said:

I think using a dust collector for this application is not the best.  A dust collector only has 6-8" of suction while a vacuum has 70-90"of suction and will work much better for the small pipe size and all the elbows and stuff. 

I agree. Unless you can pipe it down in size to get some real suction at the pipe ends. Sort of the same as a venturi in a carburetor. Air speeds up as it passes through a smaller opening.

Ray

I am sorry but piping down a dust collector does not really get you much.  At most a dust collector gives you 8" or so of suction.  Closing the end down only increases the suction by a very small amount and nothing close to a shop vac.  

I am trying to explain this so people do not get the wrong idea.  I am not trying to be argumentative but trying to get others to understand.  A shop vac has almost 10 times the suction of a dust collector.

I have a very powerful cyclone dust collector for my shop.  It is a 5 hp and will suck 1800 cfm.  This is actual measured flow and not some wild manufacturer claim.  However, for my scroll saw and some other things in my shop, the vac does a better job.

The vac I am using for my scroll saw has a suction of around 90" and flow rate about 125 cfm.

Just to be clear about suction, the inches refer to how high a water column can be pulled up.  One can measure it with a water  u-tube manometer.  The photo is an example of one with blue dyed water that I used to measure suction of a dust collector.

obe64q8.jpg

Sycamore you are correct. Just curious how do you connect the manometer to your collector system? so that you don't just suck out the fluid? I have been wanting to use some system to monitor my collector and see how it degrades as the filters load up. 

I  only use my shop vac for shop cleanup, cant stand the noise,  I did not add this dust collection to my Hawk until after I bought the Festool Middi , which is pretty much useless for shop cleanup with the small hose. It is meant for connection to sanders etc. The bigger Festool vacs use a 2" hose. 

Rocky time I used a couple of Mag switches to hold the system to my Hawk. If you are not familiar with them they are a switchable magnet, so no bolts or clamps to hold it in place. 

Mag switches.jpg

49 minutes ago, Rockytime said:

I just looked up mag switches on Amazon. Holy Smokes! They are pricey at $32 each. Gonna think this over a bit.

That was my first thought too Les. Way to pricey to just leave them on the saw. I do like the idea but maybe when the price comes down a bit.

Ray