I Think I Know What Skip Blades are for

Rockytime

I just finished the Case Logo. It came out well. At least I'm satisfied with it. I used a #5 FD Penguin Silver blade. My mistake. I realized what skip tooth blades are for. The penguin blade cut nice and straight. It cornered really well but oh my gosh was it slow. It just did not exit the sawdust properly. It pulled sawdust up along with the up stroke. I was far enough along so that I did not want to change blades and experiment and screw things up. I need to give it a 50/50 BLO treatment and then a clear top coat before I begin painting. I don't know how I will get it painted as I no longer have the hand and finger dexterity I once had.  I also used a very rare wood. Sheridan Pine. There is only on place to get it as far as I know.

1-20180414_180603.jpg

Edited by Rockytime
Add text

1 hour ago, Rockytime said:

I just finished the Case Logo. It came out well. At least I'm satisfied with it. I used a #5 FD Penguin Silver blade. My mistake. I realized what skip tooth blades are for. The penguin blade cut nice and straight. It cornered really well but oh my gosh was it slow. It just did not exit the sawdust properly. It pulled sawdust up along with the up stroke. I was far enough along so that I did not want to change blades and experiment and screw things up. I need to give it a 50/50 BLO treatment and then a clear top coat before I begin painting. I don't know how I will get it painted as I no longer have the hand and finger dexterity I once had.  I also used a very rare wood. Sheridan Pine. There is only on place to get it as far as I know.

1-20180414_180603.jpg

What are you talking about??  It is a double tooth skip blade. 2 teeth per skip and that by no means will slow you down. Try the Penquin silver reverse. That is my favorite and go to blade of all time. Just maybe a different blade from what you are use to. Maybe you had blade in upside down and yes it could happen. I scroll red oak with the blade I mentioned and sometimes 3/4" and never had sawdust pulled up stroke like you are saying. As far as cutting slow man I can not talk to this because either I am just satisfied of cutting slow with never being in a hurry or my saw just cuts differently than everyone elses saw on this forum:) Keep hearing about RBI saw cutting slow and now FD blades cutting slow. You people must be heck on the highways. 75mph is not fast enough I assume. :)

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

Thanks for the info JT. I don't know all the nomenclature on saw blades yet. I'm not in a hurry to cut fast. However, I had to push too hard to make any headway and I always had to stop and let the blade clear sawdust. I have no reason to hurry just want to cut more efficiently. I do have the Penguin Silver reverse and will try it. Thanks for the suggestion. BTW blade teeth were pointing down. I first thought that could happen but blade was in correctly.

9 minutes ago, Oldmansbike said:

Rocky may I ask did you cut the Case logo for yourself or for some one else. The reason I ask is I worked for Case for 30 years and my dad sold Case tractors all his life. Where did you find the pattern if you don't mind me asking? Thanks.

http://www.woodenteddybearonline.com/x/product.php?productid=6661&cat=1023&page=2

3 hours ago, Oldmansbike said:

Rocky may I ask did you cut the Case logo for yourself or for some one else. The reason I ask is I worked for Case for 30 years and my dad sold Case tractors all his life. Where did you find the pattern if you don't mind me asking? Thanks.

I cut it for myself. A good high school friend's dad was a Case dealer in the little North Dakota town where I grew up. I always remember that big cast iron eagle out front. Always wonder what happened to it. I would love to have one on my front lawn. Google Case Logo and you will find them selling for thousands of dollars. Thank you for asking. It is something I like talking about.

16 hours ago, Rockytime said:

Thanks JT. I cut another puzzle today. I used your recommended #5 Penguin Silver Reverse. Great experience as it took all the fight away. Cut smooth as silk on 3/4" Poplar requiring nearly no fuzz removal. Cool blade.

I have to say I must be getting senile or something but I just realized something today that you are on the IAP pen turning forum also. Now I do not go there as much as I use to for various reasons but stopped there after I visited here today and noticed the same photo and put 2 and 2 together and came up with 5.  Wonder how many others are on both sites. Many times I do not pay attention to names and just read the threads. I would not make a good witness in a crime. Officer: what color clothes was he wearing ??  Me: was he wearing clothes?? :)

I'm on many other scroll saw and turning boards as well.. however this place is the only one I really visit.. and my name here on this one is different than all the other sites.. not sure why I did a oddball screen name here.. as they are the same everywhere else but this place, LOL

4 hours ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

I have to say I must be getting senile or something but I just realized something today that you are on the IAP pen turning forum also. Now I do not go there as much as I use to for various reasons but stopped there after I visited here today and noticed the same photo and put 2 and 2 together and came up with 5.  Wonder how many others are on both sites. Many times I do not pay attention to names and just read the threads. I would not make a good witness in a crime. Officer: what color clothes was he wearing ??  Me: was he wearing clothes?? :)

Senility comes with old age. I can't remember what I had for breakfast. I visit IAP for a bit each day. I still make some pens but scrolling has captured my interest with a vengeance . I still make pens but spend more time scrolling. I'm sure there are other pen makers here. Scrolling is so convenient. I can stop and pick it up anytime without missing a lick.                

5 hours ago, Rockytime said:

Senility comes with old age. I can't remember what I had for breakfast. I visit IAP for a bit each day. I still make some pens but scrolling has captured my interest with a vengeance . I still make pens but spend more time scrolling. I'm sure there are other pen makers here. Scrolling is so convenient. I can stop and pick it up anytime without missing a lick.                

I am not getting older I am getting younger. I reached the half way point so now I am working my way backwards. Hope to pass as a kid. I learned everything I could and now as I get younger I can compare my knowledge to when I was younger. It is the cycle of life. I can, t say I forgot I say I never learned it yet.:)