PS Wood Super Sharp blades

OCtoolguy

I know that I have seen these blades mentioned here before but after searching for them, I can't find where they were discussed. What is the general consensus of the PS Wood blades? After watching videos of the ScrollersNation on Youtube, he raves about them and also the scroll saws. I am thinking of trying a couple dozen but I would like to hear from those of you who may have tried them and what you think. I know they are pricey but if they outlast the others and cut great, maybe they are worth the price. Just askin..............

Ray,

I've tried them and they are good blades very sharp and do last a long time. They are also quite agressive. I don't do production cutting or try to make large numbers of any thing in a short period. I like a less agressive blade for thick stock 1.5 inch they would be great. Most of my stuff is in 3/4 or thinner stock. By all means try a dz of each size you may love them. Blades are like trucks some like ford some gmc some ram.

Fred fret

I tried them several years ago and found them superior to the Flying Dutchman blades I was using. Couldn't justify the cost. Since then I have gone to Pegas Modified Geometry blades.

Parhaps I need to try the PS blades again and compare to Pegas.

Where can I buy them?

bb

20 minutes ago, orangeman said:

I tried them several years ago and found them superior to the Flying Dutchman blades I was using. Couldn't justify the cost. Since then I have gone to Pegas Modified Geometry blades.

Where can I buy them?

bb

http://www.pswood.com/precision-ground-scroll-saw-blades/

7 hours ago, Sycamore67 said:

I posted a topic about comparing #7 blades and included the PS Woods Super Sharps.  To me, the Super Sharps cut better than all other similar blades in the tests I ran.  However, they are the most expensive.  You could look up my post for the data by doing a search.

I tried every way I could think of in my searches and found nothing. I knew it had been talked about but nothing came up in a search using PSwood or PS Wood or ??

4 hours ago, orangeman said:

Where can I buy them?

bb

PS Woods. 

I've read rave reviews over the years of the PSwood scroll saw.. and only recently read good reviews of their blades.. I buy my bandsaw blades from them.. Love the bandsaw blades.. but I don't think they are a PSwoods exclusive blade.. since they are the Timerwolf brand.. I think they are sold elsewhere.  

1 minute ago, rjweb said:

Rocky keep us posted on your visit, RJ 

Will do. I went to see him last week. He lives about 30 minutes from me. Since I don't know the area I was using the GPS on my cell phone. When I was nearly there a car accident happened just in front of me blocking the highway. A three car pile up. I stopped and called 911. I told the dispatcher the exact location with cross streets and direction of travel. She asked me questions but I said I cannot understand as I am nearly deaf and cant converse on the phone. I finally hung up. When I tried my GPS all internet was lost and I could not continue so I went home. I had stopped at a Wally World trying to get a signal but could not. From home I called him and told what had happened. He said I was just a few minutes from where I was. I'll get out there this week.

1 hour ago, Rockytime said:

Will do. I went to see him last week. He lives about 30 minutes from me. Since I don't know the area I was using the GPS on my cell phone. When I was nearly there a car accident happened just in front of me blocking the highway. A three car pile up. I stopped and called 911. I told the dispatcher the exact location with cross streets and direction of travel. She asked me questions but I said I cannot understand as I am nearly deaf and cant converse on the phone. I finally hung up. When I tried my GPS all internet was lost and I could not continue so I went home. I had stopped at a Wally World trying to get a signal but could not. From home I called him and told what had happened. He said I was just a few minutes from where I was. I'll get out there this week.

What city is he in Les? I used to live South of you in Woodland Park. Curious.

7 hours ago, Sycamore67 said:

This is the topic I started which mentioned the Super Sharp blades.  I have no idea why you could not find it with a search.

Thanks Larry. I haven't had much luck with the search feature here on SSV. I either can't come up with the correct criteria or I'm just not as gifted.

1 hour ago, octoolguy said:

Thanks Larry. I haven't had much luck with the search feature here on SSV. I either can't come up with the correct criteria or I'm just not as gifted.

I went back and re-read that post and now I recall it. Thanks again for your efforts in providing the test results. I was wondering just how long these blades would last in softer woods and if they would be worth the cost if they worked as long as a dozen of the regular blades that everybody is using. The only way it makes any sense is to buy a large amount to secure the best shipping cost per blade. I'll just stick with the Pegas and FDUR I guess. I still want to try the FD PSR also.

I just ordered the 257 and 579 assortments. I wanted more of the 5's and 7's but wanted to try the #2 and #9 as well. Shipping was $7.50 which is pretty close to actual shipping costs. The last time I shipped  a priority mail envelope it was $7.10.

When they come I will put them through tests on a Hawk, Hegner, and brand new Delta and will compare them with Pegas modified geometry blades.

bb

Edited by orangeman
correction

5 hours ago, orangeman said:

I just ordered the 257 and 579 assortments. I wanted more of the 5's and 7's but wanted to try the #2 and #9 as well. Shipping was $7.50 which is pretty close to actual shipping costs. The last time I shipped  a priority mail envelope it was $7.10.

When they come I will put them through tests on a Hawk, Hegner, and brand new Delta and will compare them with Pegas modified geometry blades.

bb

I look forward to your test results. Have you figured out the total cost per blade?

I had some PS Wood blades a few years ago.  As I recall, they cut very well and lasted fairly long, relative to other blades I've used.  They also cut very straight, with no drift.  They do not have a reverse tooth version of their blades, so consider that in your decision.  I think that if I were using a lot of thick wood for intarsia or compound cutting, I would be more inclined to use the PS Wood blades, but for me, for general scrolling, they are just too expensive.

Received the PS Wood blades. Great service. Arrived in a couple days from PA.

I cut 3/4" puzzles from soft maple.

I compared the PS Wood #5 vs Pegas #5 modified geometry blades on my RBI Hawk. The Pegas blade cuts smoother and lasts a little longer.

I compared the PS Wood #7 vs pegas #7 modified geometry blades on my Hegner. The PS Wood blade struggled with cutting puzzle keys ~3/8" dia.- probably because it is thicker than the pegas blade (0.017 vs 0.0157). Pegas blade had longer life.

PS Wood blades are around $0.83 each vs $0.32 for the Pegas blades (excluding shipping)

I'm sticking with the Pegas Modified Geometry blades.

bb

15 minutes ago, orangeman said:

Received the PS Wood blades. Great service. Arrived in a couple days from PA.

I cut 3/4" puzzles from soft maple.

I compared the PS Wood #5 vs Pegas #5 modified geometry blades on my RBI Hawk. The Pegas blade cuts smoother and lasts a little longer.

I compared the PS Wood #7 vs pegas #7 modified geometry blades on my Hegner. The PS Wood blade struggled with cutting puzzle keys ~3/8" dia.- probably because it is thicker than the pegas blade (0.017 vs 0.0157). Pegas blade had longer life.

PS Wood blades are around $0.83 each vs $0.32 for the Pegas blades (excluding shipping)

I'm sticking with the Pegas Modified Geometry blades.

bb

Thanks Brian, good test. I guess I'll save my money too.