3M Super 77

jerry1939

For years I have been a die hard fan of 3M Super 77.  Now the last 2 cans are giving me nozzle problems.  Instead of putting out an even mist, they splatter, which shows blotches on the side to cut.  Not enough to be a problem.  When I turn the can over to clear the nozzle, the hole fills up.  Can wipe it OK with a Kleenex.  I save old, usable nozzles, but that doesn't help.  Appears to be a product that has changed.

Don't want to print on Avery labels, as a lot of patterns are oversize.  Applying the pattern directly onto the wood wouldn't change the spraying problem.

Looking for other spray on brands, or glue sticks that you folks like.

Thanks in advance.  jerry

2 minutes ago, jerry1939 said:

For years I have been a die hard fan of 3M Super 77.  Now the last 2 cans are giving me nozzle problems.  Instead of putting out an even mist, they splatter, which shows blotches on the side to cut.  Not enough to be a problem.  When I turn the can over to clear the nozzle, the hole fills up.  Can wipe it OK with a Kleenex.  I save old, usable nozzles, but that doesn't help.  Appears to be a product that has changed.

Don't want to print on Avery labels, as a lot of patterns are oversize.  Applying the pattern directly onto the wood wouldn't change the spraying problem.

Looking for other spray on brands, or glue sticks that you folks like.

Thanks in advance.  jerry

Jerry,

Are you using 77 for a temporary or permanent bond?

I now use 3M "45" for temporary bonds as I was having problems with Elmer's repositioning adhesive.

bb

10 minutes ago, orangeman said:

Jerry,

Are you using 77 for a temporary or permanent bond?

I now use 3M "45" for temporary bonds as I was having problems with Elmer's repositioning adhesive.

bb

Temporary, only to hold the pattern for sawing.  77 has excellent holding power for that.  Also tried Elmer's a couple of years ago and it did not stick well.

My experience is that there are two types of can the 3M 77 come in.. I used to have that problem with the cans I used to buy but the last can I bought was from a craft store ( not sure what one ) but the can label and colors was much different than that of the other cans.. I didn;t even realize it was 3M77 until I was using it one day.. its almost gone now and i'll need to get another can.. I think I want to try the 3M45 that has been talked about in the past.. but if I don't see it.. I'm looking for the red and white can.. not the dark brown /maroon / black can that I always had trouble with. Maybe they just updated the can and labels? either way this last can was the best one I ever had.. It's been a long time since i don't use the spray much.. if the pattern fits on a sheet of paper I just print on the full sheet shipping labels.. peel and stick..

Just now, jerry1939 said:

Temporary, only to hold the pattern for sawing.  77 has excellent holding power for that.  Also tried Elmer's a couple of years ago and it did not stick well.

I used the elmers once when I asked my wife to get me a can in fact that was what my last can was.. I found after reading the instructions.. you have to shake it well and apply it heavy and never another issue with it...other than a 20oz can last as long as a 12oz of the 3m77 if that much LOL.. you go through it much faster

I use the cheapo spray glue from walmart. I spray the back of the pattern with an extremely light spray. Maybe 1-2 seconds of spray for the entire pattern.

I then let it sit for at least 15 minutes. It should be just barely tacky, way less tacky than a sticky note.  Stays on and comes right off when done. 

Being a newbie, I bought a can of 3m77 and not knowing any better, I thought it was supposed to spatter. And it does. Now I know that it shouldn't. I'll check around for the 45 when I run out. But, I took Kevin's advice and bought a pack of 100 labels from Amazon and they seem to work very well. So far. I hate spraying that 77. It gets everywhere even when I try to keep it inside of a box. I can feel it on the hair on my arms. Nasty!

I found the red/white can of 3M 77  at Wal Mart and Hobby Lobby.  I've not had a problem with these.  Home Depot has the black can, but I've had issues with it spattering.  I clean the nozzle regularly to avoid spatter, but didn't seem to help on the Home Depot can.

As for glueing your arm hairs, I kinda had that issue too until I put a piece of hardware cloth over a large garbage barrel and spray the back of the pattern down into the barrel.  

Larry

1 hour ago, octoolguy said:

Les, have you been talking to my wife again? I'll have to have a chat with her. 

Ray, you have a serious problem. If you were to upgrade to more sophisticated tools as I have, namely my glue booth and paint booth, you could eliminate many of your problems. Sophistication is my middle name.

1-20180719_122431.jpg

2-20180719_122500.jpg

10 hours ago, Rockytime said:

Ray, you have a serious problem. If you were to upgrade to more sophisticated tools as I have, namely my glue booth and paint booth, you could eliminate many of your problems. Sophistication is my middle name.

1-20180719_122431.jpg

2-20180719_122500.jpg

They don't look that much different than mine. I use the flat cartons from Costco.

The one thing that I have noticed about the 3M 77 is the size of the can. It is much taller and slimmer than the older ones. It still has the same amount at the same price, just under $10 at Walmart  and the 2  home improvement stores. The first one I bought did the splatter and uneven spraying until I  shook  it up than it sprayed ok. Keeping the nozzle clean is a must!

Erv

Tip if you’re buying this stuff at your local Walmart. Get it in the hardware section of the store rather than the crafts section as the crafts section is typically smaller cans and higher prices. They didn’t carry the one I typically use so I got the gorilla one. Anyone use this.

Note the price difference in the pictures below. 

Also note, this can of 3M 77 is the one I have had issues with nozzles 

7C0C7177-196F-4BCD-BDC5-9B8CF8F48E40.jpeg

CA911E9C-BBA3-4635-8BAB-0A2B990AA50D.jpeg

65286970-6D63-4A53-A1AB-5EA0FC3877AA.jpeg