Newbie lessons learned

Foxfold

I've only been doing scrolling for a few weeks and only done 'little' things in plywood, but was feeling rather pleased with myself as I seemed to be getting the hang of it. However,  my saw and my wood both taught me a lesson today.  1) Don't try cutting patterns that have 'pointy' bits with plywood as the layers come apart.  2) Only do scrollwork when you are calm + collected. I was a little tense today and had gone to the workshop to take time out, but I broke my first blade today and it made me jump out of my skin.   It may be a day or two before I pluck up the courage to go near the machine again. 😲

Plywood and real sharp points don't work well Baltic birch helps but does not eliminate the problem. Working tense on any machine is not a good idea the scrollsaw how ever will not take a finger on hand unless you really want it to. Afterwhile a broken blade will become just another day at the office. Keep at it your work has looked very good.

Fredfret

I have only broken a blade once on my Hawk but when I did I thought I would jump out of my skin. On occasion I will start the saw forgetting to flit the tension lever. That makes a bit of a racket and kinda startles me. I can only scroll for about two hours before my eyes tire. I scroll a couple of hours in the morning and again in the afternoon or evening. Sharp corners work with plywood by using appropriately small blades and preferably a few reverse teeth at the lower end of the blade. Don't give up. You'll get it with a little practice.

The only time I got frightened when a blade broke was the first one that broke on my Hegner.  I thought the saw was flying apart, I ducked for cover!!  Now I am use to it.  I have broken many many blades.  I break fewer now only because I have a better feel for sawing and I am better at knowing it is time to change blades.  And normally the only ones that break on me now are because I didn't stop and get a new one when I knew I should have.  I use to break more and I think most people do buy forcing the blade or not having the tension right,  as experience is gained that lessens.  You are doing fine from what I have seen.   Relax, and keep up the good work.  When I first started and was getting tense, and breaking blades and breaking pieces, the best advice I was given from a neighbor here in the village was, "relax, let your shoulders drop, (he was right I realized the next time I was scrolling I had my shoulders up above my ears!) and breath normal.... Yep I was holding my breath, hanging on for deal life!!!  Like the man said it is suppose to be fun.  Pretty soon you will head to the scroll saw when your are tense, to relax...

Bet it won't be long before your husband is fighting you for the say and you will need to get another.......

Edited by Scrappile

It's just a noise. It happens. And it'll happen again. I assure you. Don't let it excite you. Learn to relax & listen to your saw. Let the sound of it calm ya, but be aware of what's happening. Keep your tension adjusted proper, change blades before they break, not after.;) 

And somethin' else to practice, don't put your hands on power equipment when you're tired, upset, or in a bad way. It's a sure recipe for disaster. The scroll saw is the safest tool in the shop, next to your hankerchif. But it has teeth in one end of it, so be cautious. 

Time & experience will ease your fears. 

My other advice'd be to pitch the plywood in the trash and either use wood or Baltic birch ply. Wood especially if you're cuttin' sharp corners & pointy edges. It doesn't have voids in it, & won't break out.;) Keep makin' sawdust! God bless!

Thank you all for your kind words. It's comforting to know that I'm not the only one that has been so startled by a blade breaking. I'll go back to the saw in a day or two perhaps. I only use Baltic Birch as that's all I have, fortunately lots of it in varying thicknesses. I'd love to work with wood one day, but that's for the future when I have more experience and am less likely to make firewood out of it.

1 hour ago, Foxfold said:

Thank you all for your kind words. It's comforting to know that I'm not the only one that has been so startled by a blade breaking. I'll go back to the saw in a day or two perhaps. I only use Baltic Birch as that's all I have, fortunately lots of it in varying thicknesses. I'd love to work with wood one day, but that's for the future when I have more experience and am less likely to make firewood out of it.

Construction sites (especially remodels!) are great places to rummage for wood scraps that you won't have to worry about making firewood out of.  Those big industrial bins out front (we call 'em "skips" here in the US, for some reason) where they load all the trash?  Find a foreman and ask if you can grab a board or two, usually they'll get someone to dive in and start handing boards out to you!

Also, old pallets can be good, if they're in decent enough shape.  You can either pry the slats off, or use a metal saw, slipping the blade in between the boards to cut the nails.  Then put a Phillips screwdriver on the newly-cut nail shaft (easy to find, it'll be nice and shiny), give it a tap, and that'll lift the head so you can get a claw hammer under it without gouging up the wood too badly.  A little bit of effort, and boom, easy scrap wood for playing around, getting to know your saws better, and honing your skills.

I can always get 'pallet' wood, I hadn't realised that it would be any good for scrolling.  I could get hubby to cut and plane it for me. Thanks for the tip, I'll try that and let you know how I get on.  A question, if I may. What is 'pallet' wood made of ?

If you think breaking a scroll saw blade is scary, try standing still when a bandsaw blade breaks.  😲  😉

Pallet wood can be made of most anything, largely dependent on where the pallet is made.  It's typically low grade wood that isn't suitable to be sold for anything else, but for scrolling, you can find some decent material.  A couple words of caution though.  First, the wood may not be kiln dried, so it may not be very stable, especially after planning.  Also, only select pallets that are clean.  If they look like they've had stuff spilled on them, you have no idea what it may have been and it could be toxic.  Different countries have different regulations about using native lumber for shipping crates and pallets.  Some are very restrictive so as to prevent the introduction of invasive species of bugs and organisms that may be harmful.  Others, not so much.  So you really don't know what you are getting.  Inspect the wood very carefully before sawing or planning.  If it looks like something may be living or growing in the wood, do not bring it home.

We get crates and pallets at work from all over.  I've seen walnut, cherry, oak, pine and maple mostly, but many years ago I scavenged some wood from a crate that I believe is either Sapele or some type of Mahogany.  It wasn't fine furniture wood, but it made some interesting projects.  I think I still have some of it.

As Bill said, the wood varies.  Generally, though, you can try to dig your thumbnail in to see how hard the wood is...if you leave an indention, its probably lighter wood like pine.  I find that even the broken slats make for some good signs, or even flags, the jagged edges give it that beaten-up-weathered-rustic look.  Even if you don't cut something you're going to post on Etsy for thousands of dollars, every cut is a good cut if you learn something from it.

I always jump when a blade breaks and I have broken more than my fair share over the years.
What makes me jump more is when I'm lost in my scrolling with a good old Country CD playing and my wife or Grandson come into the shed and talk or touch me. I leave my boots behind ;)

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 8:51 AM, Bill WIlson said:

We get crates and pallets at work from all over.  I've seen walnut, cherry, oak, pine and maple mostly, but many years ago I scavenged some wood from a crate that I believe is either Sapele or some type of Mahogany.  It wasn't fine furniture wood, but it made some interesting projects.  I think I still have some of it.

I see a lot of pallets here also.  Mostly, I see oak, pine and poplar.  I did get a couple of slabs of book matched ash a few years ago.  If you keep your eyes open, there is a good chance you will find some good looking wood from time to time.

But, Bill is correct and most of the stuff is junk wood. In my line of work, many are stained with machine oil and other solvents, so they are worthless.