Another Hawk, I'm not sure how this keeps happening to me. A reply from Hawk added

jbrowning

Well, I went into work this morning and guess what I found in the back of my truck? I swear, I don't know how it got there. But since it's there I might as well take it home don't you think.

Motor Video

Scroll Saw Video

Model and Serial Number Video

20180826_081502.thumb.jpg.4f86b291fc739fd2b76ebdb090bb577c.jpg

20180826_093538.thumb.jpg.d42fbd60a9e5b75c7af2792495980e1c.jpg

Well here is the story as I heard it:

The story behind the saw is the mother in law bought it brand new in 1989 (she thinks) at the state fair, back when the manufacturers were still selling their goods at the fair. She had used it regularly up till about 10 years ago when her husband passed away and had to rearrange her life. Since then it has been sitting in the storage shed. 

It does run on all speeds and is nice and quiet. Came with the light and the foot peddle.

I can tell the wedge in the back is worn so that might need to be replaced or reground at some point. I notice the upper are is different than the one on my saw. Not good or bad just different.

I got it for $100.00.

Edited by jbrowning

Appears to be another ultra series.. just a early one.. I'm not sure when they started making the Ultra series and when they stopped using the barrel style clamps.. but My older saw is a 1993 and has the older motor and the barrel clamps.. My Ultra is a 1998 have looked at some 1996 models that was ultras as well.. your new one here.. has a very low serial number so I'm thinking its older than 1996 or at least a very early one.. I don't think that is a 1989 though.. unless some major upgrades were done to it over the years.. 

Maybe my Hawk is much more newer than I thought.. I'd have to look at the receipt again.. but.. I swear it said 1998 and I think when i called Bushton they said the same thing.. as the markings was on the box with serial number.. My serial number is 10290 .. maybe it was a 2008 model? I'm going to have to see if I can find the sales slip that was in the box with it..

Just dug our my original sales slip that came with my saw when I purchased it last year. Shows the original transaction was Dec. of 1998. I took a picture of the sales slip and was going to post it but it has the name and CC info on it so I’ll need to edit that out if I posted it for the original persons privacy etc.

1 hour ago, Oldmansbike said:

I went back and watched your videos. With a serial number of 6319 it is newer than mine. Mine has a serial number of 5614 and I bought it brand new in 1996 so I would guess it was probably 1999 instead of 1989. It looks just like mine same clamps and everything. Would you be willing to sell it?

No, I'm not wanting to sell either one of mine. But if you have someone in Colorado, there are 2 - 220VS Hawk saws for sale in the Denver area. If I remember correctly, one is asking $225.00 and the other one is asking $500.00 but you get extra blades 😂 .

1 hour ago, jbrowning said:

It's only a 11.50 hour drive from Iowa to Denver. So Mapquest says. I'm thinking that is a nice way to spend a weekend.

I made that drive a lot about 20 years ago. Had a son that went to tech school in Laramie Wyoming. That drive was 13 hours. Nebraska is a long and boring state to drive through no offense to you Nebraska residents. We live on the east side of Iowa right on the Mississippi River. It was 5 hours across Iowa,7 hours across Nebraska and 1 hour to Laramie Wy.

Cheapest one in my area right now is $180 and it's one of the real old ones with the 3 speed pulley system..  Other than that there is a 26 Ultra for like $800 and he has had in on there for more than 2 years.. was there when I was looking at my first Hawk.. I haven't seen many on craigslist this year for Hawks.. back when I grabbed up my first one there seemed to be several to choose from and most was $350 and up.. I guess I just got lucky to be the first one to see the ones I got and went and picked them up within an hour after they was listed.. 

See below the message I received from Niokole:

Hi, this is a Hawk 226 Ultra. The new blade holder and serial number tells me so. This machine was created in Winter 1996. It has the DC motor and is pretty much rebuildable completely. The only part we don’t have it the cutting table itself.  That is the older top mounting table.

The upper arm wedge area may need to be reconditioned. We can machine repair that if you send your upper arm in for repair. We could also install the first upgrade I would suggest. The upper bracket conversion kit would replace the entire front bracket system with the same removable blade holder system that is on our BM series. I have attached the link to the online store for this kit in the email for reference. The other upgrade would be that loc-line upgrade for the air system.

http://stores.bushtonhawkstore.com/upper-blade-holder-bracket-conversion-kit/

The White clamp on the back upright is completely removable. That’s the desk/bench mount for the magnifying light. It either mounts into the large hole on the assessor arm or this white clamp. That’s what that is.

Looks like a great saw!

Nikole Smith

I'm thinking I will order the upper blade holder bracket conversion kit and change that out and get the new air blower kit with the loc line so I can adjust it so it isn't blowing towards me.

Has anyone here had the upper arm wedge area reconditioned and if so any idea of how long it took and a rough estimate?

Thanks

Jim

My 226 has the line-loc blower hose but the older style clamp.. My old 220 I upgraded to the line loc and it made a world of difference.. then a year later my upper tension mechanism wore out and so I upgraded to the new BM style.. I personally like the older style better.. and personally wouldn't upgrade it unless it is worn out and needs it.. Not really much difference in using the two different styles.. just something about that BM style upper system i don't really care for.. as far as the way it's designed..   

Hi Kevin, yeah mine doesn't have the loc line at all. It only has the clear tubing that blows directly onto the piece you're cutting. In fact if you look at the scroll saw video I attached in the first post, at about 11 seconds into the video you can see the clear tubing and no loc line.

Edited by jbrowning