Finish line in sight

3Dface

2 hours ago, rdatelle said:

Nice, Chris. How are you doing those. Are those copies of the covers glued on wood.

making a very long story short , born with dyslexia and visual processing problems , my whole life i have picked apart pictures in my mind. seen the people in front blocking that which is behind them made my eyes see "3D". hard to explain, i know! fast forward to when i began scrolling... now i can show what i see. 

i buy comic books that pop out to me, glue the cover to 1/2" play wood, then i cut cut each person or object then glue them back. background is what is not cut. back row is glued back poking out 1/16", next row 1/8" and so on. on the Wolverine in the picture the right knife sticks out so far that the whole 1/2" is exposed to give even more depth.

hope that explains that!

-chris

9 minutes ago, 3Dface said:

making a very long story short , born with dyslexia and visual processing problems , my whole life i have picked apart pictures in my mind. seen the people in front blocking that which is behind them made my eyes see "3D". hard to explain, i know! fast forward to when i began scrolling... now i can show what i see. 

i buy comic books that pop out to me, glue the cover to 1/2" play wood, then i cut cut each person or object then glue them back. background is what is not cut. back row is glued back poking out 1/16", next row 1/8" and so on. on the Wolverine in the picture the right knife sticks out so far that the whole 1/2" is exposed to give even more depth.

hope that explains that!

-chris

Nice Chris. Seems like a lot of work.

1 hour ago, heppnerguy said:

would be fun to see the finished pieces in person. I find it a little difficult to really see the effects, but then I am old and don't get everything. 😊😁

Dick

heppnerguy

you hit the nail on the head!!! if i did that more often i would spend less money on nails.

2D pictures don't show 3D well.

here is the best i can do... this is my very first 3D of my best friend and his family.

13669135_1350185498329555_5021397350090086777_n.thumb.jpg.d6fdf29611bd0d430377bee81bf3faa7.jpg

1094769412_darrencut.thumb.jpg.9b848c9d9e365f522db537ebcfab6db7.jpg

IMG_20171209_131213.thumb.jpg.6ecc3f80302c6639082d8c49414c2025.jpg

thank you all for the comments

15 hours ago, heppnerguy said:

Hey, you know, that does help me to 'get it'..  I am a little dense, huh?

Why are you questioning my 'LITTLE DENSE' comment.? OH, now I get it....  you are thinking it should read, 'REALLY DENSE'  I expect you are correct on that point.

Dick

heppnerguy

hey... i'm the one that cant drive a nail without bending it. even when i drill a guide hole... 🤔😩

i am a nail gun kinda guy!!!

9 hours ago, amazingkevin said:

Whoa! How many of these have I made and got the best compliments from too. Keep up the great work!

before being invited to the con i had done about 4 comic books, 2 photos, and one poster.

for the show i have done 34 comic books, 2 posters, and about 60 traditional scrollings. 

also in the pic the capt. America plays "america the beautiful" and the star wars plays the "star wars" theme and han solo's helmet lights up. i used the mechanism from some musical greeting cards.

On 10/6/2018 at 5:38 AM, 3Dface said:

Not yet.... I choose by composition instead of subject. Thank you for the comment.

so you glue the cover to the plywood.

you then gut out whatever image you want to make 3D but this is where I have a Q? What if the object you want to cut out is not an edge cut, meaning you need to drill a pilot hole. How are dealing with the pilot hole in either the 3D piece that you cut or in the background part of the cover which is not 3D in the end.

The other q I have is around how you are proping the 3D image up at a difference height so to speak if both are laying flat on a surface? Are you putting spacers in behind the 3D piece to prop it out as high/far as you want it to be? 

I would imagine that you have to mount both the 3d piece, its spacers and the background which is the rest of the comic book cover on a thin backer of sorts?

Lastly what to you finish the cover with once it is completely done, given the amount of work involved I would like to know how the longevity of the piece will be, meaning do you put anything on it to preserve and extend the life of the piece. Modge Podge for example

thanks for the clarification, I find this interesting and really appealing and I know a friend that would absolutely go over the moon to get one as a gift and I think I may give it a go.

I think your work is awesome! and I am sure that those will sell for you.

16 hours ago, WayneG said:

so you glue the cover to the plywood.

you then gut out whatever image you want to make 3D but this is where I have a Q? What if the object you want to cut out is not an edge cut, meaning you need to drill a pilot hole. How are dealing with the pilot hole in either the 3D piece that you cut or in the background part of the cover which is not 3D in the end.

The other q I have is around how you are proping the 3D image up at a difference height so to speak if both are laying flat on a surface? Are you putting spacers in behind the 3D piece to prop it out as high/far as you want it to be? 

I would imagine that you have to mount both the 3d piece, its spacers and the background which is the rest of the comic book cover on a thin backer of sorts?

Lastly what to you finish the cover with once it is completely done, given the amount of work involved I would like to know how the longevity of the piece will be, meaning do you put anything on it to preserve and extend the life of the piece. Modge Podge for example

thanks for the clarification, I find this interesting and really appealing and I know a friend that would absolutely go over the moon to get one as a gift and I think I may give it a go.

I think your work is awesome! and I am sure that those will sell for you.

pilot holes are easy to deal with... i always drill the hole in a corner of said image and then cut from the outside of the hole. this leaves no "drill bit curve" in the background and is only noticeable on the cut piece if you know what you are looking for. it also helps that i use a 1mm drill bit.

there are no spacers. it all fits together like a puzzle so i place the first piece into the puzzle only sticking out a little and spot hot glue it into place the add the next piece and repeat. when all pieces are in place the way i want i glue all the edges together.

the final coating it 5 to 7 coats of high gloss clear spray paint.

Edited by 3Dface

4 hours ago, 3Dface said:

pilot holes are easy to deal with... i always drill the hole in a corner of said image and then cut from the outside of the hole. this leaves no "drill bit curve" in the background and is only noticeable on the cut piece if you know what you are looking for. it also helps that i use a 1mm drill bit.

there are no spacers. it all fits together like a puzzle so i place the first piece into the puzzle only sticking out a little and spot hot glue it into place the add the next piece and repeat. when all pieces are in place the way i want i glue all the edges together.

the final coating it 5 to 7 coats of high gloss clear spray paint.

spot hot glue them into place and when ready you glue all the edges of the pieces that are sticking out? I presume you to that from the back side correct?

what kind of high gloss clear spray? 

Edited by WayneG

21 hours ago, WayneG said:

spot hot glue them into place and when ready you glue all the edges of the pieces that are sticking out? I presume you to that from the back side correct?

what kind of high gloss clear spray? 

i spot glue so that if i do not like the composition i can cut the bond and repossession the piece.  then it is heavy hot glue on all seams.

back

IMG_20180108_142225.thumb.jpg.073c4c4130feb140fa39500612d15622.jpg

front

hulk15percent.thumb.jpg.bc3af0a4d27e2fdb43977f8b04ce4e28.jpg

( this hulk was the last one i made before i began putting frames on all covers)

you can see the layers of the ply as parts are moved out. in most cases the exaggerates the 3D appearance.

.depth.thumb.jpg.a803da716ebebaae5026a5d6c0df4eec.jpg

i use 77 spray glue to put the cover on the wood. then it gets 7 coats of krylon triple thick gloss. then it is cut, glued, has the frame attached, then 7 coats of rustoleum 2X gloss spray paint. i cut the wood for the frame from 1/8" luan and use jewelry box corners to mount it.