Ornaments For Charity Pattern Drive - 2018

Travis

PatternDrive.png

Halloween is over and Christmas is right around the corner. Scrollers are starting to think about gifts and patterns to cut for loved ones.  But since the Holiday season is also about helping others in need, we're continuing our tradition here at Scroll Saw Village as a way to give back.  This will be our 9th year of publishing an e-Book full of Christmas ornaments. This popular e-Book was featured in the Holiday 2014 issue of Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts magazine.  Our ornament designs are exclusive to this eBook and designed by SSV members. Anyone are can download the ebook in exchange for a donation to their favorite charity. Our hope is that we'd be able to raise some money for very worthy causes, and provide some cool patterns at the same time.

*** But we need your help! ***

I'll need some volunteers to design some ornaments.

• Each designer will provide 5 patterns (no more, no less)
  • I ask that the designs are not made available anywhere else (this gives value to the e-book)
  • They have to be designed specifically by you (no posting other people's patterns)
  • Designs must be emailed (or PM) to Travis by Wednesday, November 21st (info below)

A few things to keep in mind:

• Religious and secular designs are accepted.
  • Other religions/traditions also celebrate this time of year, so lets not forget them.
  • Keep detail and size appropriate for an ornament.
  • Don't submit copyrighted or licensed patterns.
  • The due date will sneak up on you quicker than you think.  Get them to me ASAP. 

What do you get in exchange?

• Credit for your design.
  • The warm fuzzy feeling that you're helping others in need.

Submitting your ornaments:

• Email the ornaments directly to Travis (travis [at] scrollsawvillage.com) or PM me.
  • Formats accepted are JPG, PNG. Please keep the pattern in black & White only (no gray) . That way I can convert them easier when putting together the ebook.
  • I'll also accept Inkscape files (SVG). This is ideal if you know how to use Inkscape. That way I don't have to  manually convert them.

Every year, we set a goal of getting 10 designers to contribute.  We haven't made it to that goal yet.  Last year we were sooooooo close and had 9 designers!  Is this the year we break the 10 designer mark?  I think we can do it.  If we reach our goal, that means we'll have 50 new ornaments to add to our eBook this year.  How awesome would that be?   It's a fun way to do what you love and give back at the same time.  You don't need to be an expert.  We welcome everyone of all designer levels. 

I'm in, who else will join me?

19 hours ago, Travis said:

Every year, we set a goal of getting 10 designers to contribute.  We haven't made it to that goal yet.  Last year we were sooooooo close and had 9 designers!  Is this the year we break the 10 designer mark?  I think we can do it.  If we reach our goal, that means we'll have 50 new ornaments to add to our eBook this year.  How awesome would that be?   It's a fun way to do what you love and give back at the same time.  You don't need to be an expert.  We welcome everyone of all designer levels. 

I'm in, who else will join me?

Travis, I will give it a shot. 

Travis, I too will do my best to get you 5 newcpatterns. Hopefully we can get to at least 10 this year. Maybe more. 🤩

for those considering it, they don’t have to be complicated. Simple is good. Makes for great use by beginners. Who else is joining us? Come on, you know you want too. 🙂

Travis,

I could possibly create one or two original puzzle ornament patterns but probably would not have the time to create 5.

I'm attaching pics of the ones I sell at craft fairs. The patterns were given to me by several friends and I have no idea whatsoever if they are copyrighted. That's why they do not appear on my website.

image.thumb.jpeg.49a563dbc09d1f1ac13fa287096b7203.jpeg

18 hours ago, orangeman said:

Travis,

I could possibly create one or two original puzzle ornament patterns but probably would not have the time to create 5.

I'm attaching pics of the ones I sell at craft fairs. The patterns were given to me by several friends and I have no idea whatsoever if they are copyrighted. That's why they do not appear on my website.

image.thumb.jpeg.49a563dbc09d1f1ac13fa287096b7203.jpeg

Those are cool ornaments.  I've always liked those.  Unfortunately, you can only share patterns you specifically designed yourself.  Plus we'll need 5 original designs, otherwise it won't make it to the e-book.  We've done it that way for the last 8 years.  If you're able to scrape together 5 original designs, that would be awesome.  If not, no worries.  I know how busy it gets this time of year.

15 hours ago, SCROLLSAW703 said:

Well Mr. Travis, I ain't no designer, But I'd sure be happy to cut some ornaments to donate, Sir. 

Sawdust703(Brad)

That's a great idea.  You'll have to sell the cuttings on your own and donate the money to your favorite cause.  My folks do something similar.  The stuff they make benefit's the Women and Children's shelter and an organization for At Risk Teens. 

This specific call is for designers creating 5 original ornament designs for an ebook.  The idea is scrollers can download the ebook in exchange for a donation to their favorite charity.  Scrollers that aren't designers prefer to help out in that way.  You can check out last year's ebook and read a bit more about it here:  http://www.scrollsawvillage.com/ornaments-for-charity/   I'll make an announcement when the new ebook is available (spoiler alert:  usually Thanksgiving Day).

Travis, I just sent mine via email to you and wanted to say "oops", and I'm sorry! After sending them, I was re-reading your top post and saw that I missed the statement "please keep black and white, no gray."  I did send SVG files to you so hopefully you can easily correct.  If you want/need me to resend as black and white, let me know and that is easy enough for me to do.  Now that Gramp, Paul, has said to count him in - we are up to 8 designers looks like with 5 of us having submitted.  Means we need just 2 more folks to join in to get to Travis' wish of adding 50 new patterns to the book.  Come on guys and gals - who wants to join us and make Travis' Christmas wish come true? 😉  If you aren't sure, download the book and look through it and see what has been provided in the past, it will give you some ideas AND show you that it's not that hard to do some basic designs.

We're at 8 designers!  Can we find 2 more designers?  It would make my Christmas wish come true!  2 more designers would make 50 brand new ornament designs for the year!  How awesome would that be?  Remember, patterns are due by Wednesday.  

1. @Travis
  2. @Kris Martinson - Received
  3. @meflick - Received
  4. @worbler - Received
  5. @Montserrat - Received
  6. @MrsN
  7. @Fab4 - Received
  8. @grampa - Received

Oh my gosh, we're sooooo close!  I've added a badge to the pot.  Once you send in your design, you'll be awarded a ornament badge for your trophy wall on your profile.  :)  Thanks to all that have participated.  I greatly appreciate it.  If you still want to design, there's still time.  I just need the patterns by Wednesday.  Details in the first post of this thread.  Can we make it to 10?

Here's what I have so far.  If you sent me something and you're not listed, please let me know.  I don't want to miss anyone.

1. @Travis
  3. @meflick - Received
  4. @worbler - Received
  6. @MrsN
  7. @Fab4 - Received
  8. @grampa - Received
  9. @Foxfold - Received

Who wants to make Travis' Christmas wish come true?  We need one more person to send Travis 5 ornament designs to take us to his 50 for the year.  @MrsN and Travis will get their's done I know.  Can we get one more person to help us out?  They don't have to be complicated - we need ornaments for beginners too (that's usually what mine are aimed for - easy for me and beginners!)

OMG...did we do it?  I feel like we broke the curse!  Let's not just win, let's REALLY win and keep it going.  Who else can help out?

1. @Travis
  3. @meflick - Received
  4. @worbler - Received
  6. @MrsN
  7. @Fab4 - Received
  8. @grampa - Received
  9. @Foxfold - Received
  10. @bobscroll - Received
  11. @WayneMahler - Recieved